JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
iKira (Offline)
New to JF

Information for Studying in Japan ! - 03-18-2008, 09:03 AM

Hey. I got a couple of questions for you veterans.

First off, I'd like to know if it's possible to attend school in Japan, like an Adult School of some sort to learn Japanese and maybe with some University Prep Classes. I'm currently 21, almost hitting 22 and possibly moving to Japan within the next few months. Oh and by the way, Canadian who dropped out of School in Grade 10. XD. Is it actually possible to finish my Credits while attending School there and maybe hit University afterwards?

As for the lodging and rent, shouldn't be a problem cause I'm sacking $100,000 with me through wireless Banking, should be enough to last me for roughly 3 years with a minimum of $2000 withdrawal a month and after Tuition Fees, of course. >:3

If by any chance, what I'm trying to do is possible. Please provide a Link to the School, or the School Name and I'll google it myself. XD

Well, that's all the info I need, thanks.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

03-18-2008, 09:58 AM

Your options are pretty limited if you haven't finished secondary school. You can't finish it up in Japan. You might be able to attend a language school in Japan, but after you're done with that, you have to leave Japan. There are no other schools below a university-level school that you can attend, as they all require you to be completely fluent in Japanese - this includes both high schools and university prep schools (cram schools).

If you really want to live in Japan, you'll have to finish up school. Visa requirements are strict there. You can't even get a job without having a bachelor's degree from a four-year university.

Bottom line is... not really possible, sorry to say. Like I said, it might be possible for you to attend a language school for a few months, but I can't say for sure.

郷に入っては郷に従え

Last edited by Hatredcopter : 03-18-2008 at 10:00 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
iKira (Offline)
New to JF

03-18-2008, 10:49 AM

So, if I were fluent in Japanese, I can somehow get into an Adult School and earn my Credits? If that's so, I'd do it, stills !

Kinda in a rush. I'd like to do this while I'm still young before I turn into an old man. >: D

Maybe I'm just too cocky, trying to get this done in Japan and thinking I can master it within 2-3 years studying hard. What do you guys suggest I should do? You know what though, I'm kind of fluent in Japanese since I took schooling here, but I doubt it's enough to actually go into a real Japanese School.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
queuebert (Offline)
New to JF

03-18-2008, 12:04 PM

I am not sure about Canada, but in the US I think you can take a high school graduation equivalent test (not sure what it's actually called). Maybe you can see if you can do something similar in Canada. I'm not necessarily guaranteeing that the Japanese gov't will see that as the equivalent of actually graduating high school, though, so you'll want to verify that, perhaps with your consulate.

Good luck.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
iKira (Offline)
New to JF

03-19-2008, 12:39 AM

Sigh. Guess I'll have to take the long way. Gonna attend Adult School here and try to Cram in 30 Credits and get my Diploma in a year if there's any School like that. XD

Or, maybe, just maybe I can just go to Japan soon and learn the language, come back, finish my High School and attend University over there. Guess I'll have to Modify my plan alittle. T_T
(#6 (permalink))
Old
sequoya (Offline)
I come here often

Send a message via MSN to sequoya
Am i being realistic? - 03-20-2008, 05:45 AM

Iam going to finish High School this year. And plan to take Japanese language and art in America. But I want to finish my studies in Japan and get a job in MANGA or ANIME i can really draw i was suposed to go on local tv and i had drawings in magizines. I want to now what my chances would be?

Last edited by sequoya : 03-22-2008 at 12:29 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-20-2008, 06:09 AM

iKira: Why not go back and finish up school, and then go to a University and do an exchange program? Or if you don't want to do that, is it possible to take a test that can count for your being a high school graduate so that you can attend a university? In the states, we can take a GED (General Educational Development) Test and if passed, is equivalent to one's graduating from high school, which allows the student access to post-secondary schools, such as universities and suchl. Does Canada have something like that as well?

Last edited by SSJup81 : 03-20-2008 at 06:13 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
aikochan86 (Offline)
JF Regular

03-20-2008, 06:09 AM

Pretty slim, but if you want it, go for it. If you end up in Japan it'll probably only take you a year or two to figure out if you're going to break into the industry or not and that's not exactly a huge waste of your life or anything. Plus you'll have a university degree under your belt and will be able to get some sort of employment.

Are you good at drawing?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
iKira (Offline)
New to JF

03-20-2008, 06:27 AM

Yeah, you know what. That's exactly what I was thinking. I was planning to do my GED overseas, namely over in Japan, if possible. So I can save some time and AT least learn Japanese while I'm finishing my Credits. It'd be nice to finish High School and maybe get into University here doing a Foreign Exchange, but you know what. Might've been a smarter choice for me a couple of years back. XD

When your life gets this screwed up and you wanna wrap this up cause you wasted 6 years of your life doing nothing, you start to feel regret, I've never regretted anything before until now. ;o;

But chances are, I'm gonna take Adult School here for a Semester, earning myself 4 Credits, and hopefully, if my plan succeeds I can go to Japan in the Summer and do the GED. Only problems at the moment are..
1. There're no GED Testing Centre's in Japan meaning I study for absolutely no reason without Credits or..
2. I'll have to finish High School here, taking three years time which means by the time I finish, I'll be 25-26. =(
I'm sure there's a loophole somewhere, even if I have to take High School courses at Home, I'll do it.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
aikochan86 (Offline)
JF Regular

03-20-2008, 07:12 AM

I'm in Australia and here you can still get into university if you haven't finished high school.
If you can't get in by sitting the STAT test you can go to a TAFE college and start doing any course, then if you go well you can get into uni and sometimes skip first year.
Isn't there some way for you to get into an American university like that? Then if you have an American Uni degree you can get a job in Japan or do university in Japan or even a university exchange.
Otherwise, come to Australia as an international student. They'll let anyone in if you pay up front!