LinkBack Thread Tools
(#151 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-12-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Actually it is a sticky in the Living in Japan section.
MMM and AnimeGuy2, you know what the interesting thing is? I looked at the thread and picked out the individulas that was as described by AnimeGuy2, look at their previous post, most these kids are interested in the Otaku and Rock culture of Japan more than the "True Culture" or living environment...

seeing a link there?
(#152 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

07-12-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
MMM and AnimeGuy2, you know what the interesting thing is? I looked at the thread and picked out the individuals that was as described by AnimeGuy2, look at their previous post, most these kids are interested in the Otaku and Rock culture of Japan more than the "True Culture" or living environment...

seeing a link there?
That's how it is. A lot of people in my generation and generations to come, just like Japan because of it's large amounts of anime, manga, music idols, pop, and rock.

Things they hear and see from anime makes them want to go to Japan. Since it all came from Japan, so the Otaku fans know they have all the stuff that you can't get anywhere else so they want to travel over there to buy all this rare merchandise.

It's like that a lot with most people.
(#153 (permalink))
Old
Hisuwashi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-13-2008, 05:59 PM

It's always reassuring to know there are possibilities though.

I agree Kanji-san, there are a lot of people like that. But I hope I'm not one of them..

~ Wind Song ~
~ Windlied ~
~ Chant du vent ~
(#154 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-14-2008, 12:14 AM

AnimeGuy2's post is gone...he must have gotten banned...
(#155 (permalink))
Old
Cheers (Offline)
New to JF

Hmmm... - 07-22-2008, 02:18 AM

The most important thing is to be able to speak the language properly and function within the culture.

That is tough enough. A degree is important if you have the motivation and wish to become successful and rich.
The lack of money would be a consequence some of the people without a degree would gladly live with.
Do you actually realise that you are putting your priorities on others?

It´s easier with a degree, but that´s about it. It´s not so special after all. I know more than enough unbelievably dependent people with a degree and hard- working, wonderful ones without one. The kind of job you have in the end does not have to influence your success in Japan. Success being wellbeing and comfort.
(#156 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-22-2008, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheers View Post
The most important thing is to be able to speak the language properly and function within the culture.

That is tough enough. A degree is important if you have the motivation and wish to become successful and rich.
The lack of money would be a consequence some of the people without a degree would gladly live with.
Do you actually realise that you are putting your priorities on others?

It´s easier with a degree, but that´s about it. It´s not so special after all. I know more than enough unbelievably dependent people with a degree and hard- working, wonderful ones without one. The kind of job you have in the end does not have to influence your success in Japan. Success being wellbeing and comfort.
Welcome Cheers.

The inspiration for this post initially was in response to the many people that posted "I don't have a degree, but I want to live in Japan. How do I do it?"

Knowing Japanese and the culture is very helpful for living in Japan, but isn't very helpful in creting an opportunity to live in Japan if you don't have a college degree. On the other hand, there are many opporitunities for people that have college degrees, even if they don't speak the language.
(#157 (permalink))
Old
jupiter (Offline)
New to JF

07-25-2008, 10:22 AM

awesome input everyone.
I love the art of film making in Japan (well, those that actually have some artistic value) so I want to make films. Actually I want to write scripts but I can do that in the United States. I would like to write in Japan because I like how their films are made. Now my situation is different right? Because I can sell a story to any country.

Need input, please.
Thank you.

eru
(#158 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-25-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter View Post
awesome input everyone.
I love the art of film making in Japan (well, those that actually have some artistic value) so I want to make films. Actually I want to write scripts but I can do that in the United States. I would like to write in Japan because I like how their films are made. Now my situation is different right? Because I can sell a story to any country.

Need input, please.
Thank you.
Hello Jupiter,

But then, purely from a business/marketing perspective, if I am a film maker, what is the benefit of me sponsoring you? As you said you can write a script anywhere, so why wouldn't i negotiate to just have you write it in the state and i purchase your script?

So, for the sake or arguing, let say you want to write something ABOUT Japan, its culutre, history or people, whatever the case is, and you need to do your research INSIDE Japan, it will still only be a temporary stay, most film maker will not offer you to "Come in do some research then write us a script, we will sponsor you". When they negotiate to purchase a script from you, they expect it to be done well enough or the idea is good enough that they can make a film out of it.

Even if they are willing to pay you (Just say you are that good and famous by then) to do a script for them and let you in to do the research, it will just be a temporary stay till you are done, no film maker will sponsor someone to work for them long term when they don't know that all your work is worth investing in

NOW, if you are to become a film director, thats a different story, this open up many other opportunities, maybe longer term stay, but it still goin to be temporary. Take lord of the ring for example, Peter Jackson have this great idea that Newline bought in to, and the funded him to travel around to look for location and to do the actual filming, but they didn't pay for him to stay in New Zeland permanently....
(#159 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-28-2008, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter View Post
awesome input everyone.

Need input, please.
Thank you.
This is a similar issue to being a manga-ka. People do not hire "script writers". Script writers write scripts and then sell them. It's the same as authors, manga-ka, etc.
(#160 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-28-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Hello Jupiter,

But then, purely from a business/marketing perspective, if I am a film maker, what is the benefit of me sponsoring you? As you said you can write a script anywhere, so why wouldn't i negotiate to just have you write it in the state and i purchase your script?

So, for the sake or arguing, let say you want to write something ABOUT Japan, its culutre, history or people, whatever the case is, and you need to do your research INSIDE Japan, it will still only be a temporary stay, most film maker will not offer you to "Come in do some research then write us a script, we will sponsor you". When they negotiate to purchase a script from you, they expect it to be done well enough or the idea is good enough that they can make a film out of it.

Even if they are willing to pay you (Just say you are that good and famous by then) to do a script for them and let you in to do the research, it will just be a temporary stay till you are done, no film maker will sponsor someone to work for them long term when they don't know that all your work is worth investing in

NOW, if you are to become a film director, thats a different story, this open up many other opportunities, maybe longer term stay, but it still goin to be temporary. Take lord of the ring for example, Peter Jackson have this great idea that Newline bought in to, and the funded him to travel around to look for location and to do the actual filming, but they didn't pay for him to stay in New Zeland permanently....
Even so, working in the film industry in Japan is not easy. Do you ever wonder why movies like "The Last Samurai", and "Memoirs of a Geisha" were filmed almost entirely outside Japan?