LinkBack Thread Tools
(#651 (permalink))
Old
TrainOfThought (Offline)
JF Regular

03-09-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Think about teaching your native language, as well.
I have thought about that, but I mean, less than 10 million people in the entire world speak Swedish, and from what I've been told Swedish isn't very popular in Japan. =/

EDIT: I've spent the last couple of hours googling, and from what I can tell it looks like teaching Swedish isn't an option either. I think the demand is just too low.

"Where you invest your love, you invest your life."
Mumford and Sons - Awake My Soul

"We can hope for the future, but there may not be one."
Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons

Last edited by TrainOfThought : 03-10-2011 at 01:05 AM.
(#652 (permalink))
Old
synce (Offline)
New to JF

03-24-2011, 04:09 PM

I don't think the job market in Japan is that tight if you go by statistics. 5% unemployment compared to 9% in the US. Might be harder to find work for us though, since there's not much to do besides teach English. Still, at the end of the day you're paying ~$40K for an opportunity to make an average Japanese income... Eventually though you can get married, find a better job, and support your housewife lol
(#653 (permalink))
Old
robcardiv (Offline)
New to JF

04-05-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am going to put it out there straight. There are millions of people that want to go to Japan and live there. (Work seems to be a distraction.)

People that aren't college graduates are not attractive candidates for work in Japan (or any foreign country, for that mater).

If you cannot complete the equivilent of a four-year degree program, then why would an employer in Japan hire you?

People that don't go to college don't get to be international businessmen.

Fair or not, that's how it is.
I doubt the requirement for Japanese mcdonalds is 2 year + Degree.
-shrug.

I do respect the advice in general though.
(#654 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-05-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcardiv View Post
-shrug.

Do you think McDonald's in Japan wants to go through all the red tape and government costs to IMPORT a foreigner to flip burgers? That is one of the silliest things I have ever heard.

Now if you have, say, been married to a Japanese national for several years and have permanent resident status you could get a job at McDonald's in Japan. However, you cannot apply as a tourist or overseas resident and expect to be able to legally land a job as a burger flipper, conbini worker, or anything that a typical Japanese teenager could do without all the government red tape.
(#655 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

04-05-2011, 07:45 AM

The business doesn't decide if you get the visa, the immigrations officer does.

The immigrations officer is some dude that hates his job and looks at check boxes on a form.

To work in Japan you need to have a 4 year degree or significant work experience in the field and need to be providing a service that is not (easily) available by Japanese natives. Showing the ladder two is difficult.

To work at mickeyD's or most blue collar work you fail the last requisite, even if you have 20 years of burger flipping experience.

If you have a 4 year degree and want to flip burgers or pump gas, then I recommend getting a job in your field, quitting it, work at your lame dream job until your visa is near expiration, then work at the original job for a few weeks to renew the visa... which is crazy

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#656 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-05-2011, 09:38 AM

College in the UK is 2-3 years depending on the course you do. Would university be the UK equivalent of this? Also I might move to another college next year. How would that affect things?
(#657 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

04-05-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
College in the UK is 2-3 years depending on the course you do. Would university be the UK equivalent of this? Also I might move to another college next year. How would that affect things?
yeah equivalent to a 4 year degree, as in a bachelors
2 year technical courses don't tend to work unless you've also got working experience

the only way to be sure though is to contact the Japanese Embassy in your country (is it one for the whole UK or one in each country?? I really don't know lol) and ask them, there are too many different school and degree systems

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#658 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
04-05-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
yes, university. a normal 4 year (full time) degree.

college in the US is usually called junior college or community college, which is a normal 2 year (full time student) degree.

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#659 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
04-05-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcardiv View Post
-shrug.

wow, when does mcdonalds do visa sponsorships? awesome...sign me up!

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#660 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-05-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
University is the equiviliant to this, yes. In America college/university can be synonymous, not seperate institutions as they are here. Like the others have said, you need at least a Bachelor's degree to get a visa, which is four years in the US, but for those in the UK it doesn't have to be four-year degree, because our system is different. Just so long as you have the Bachelor's degree or equivilant you should be fine.

To add on what RealJames said, I think the embassies in the UK are in London and Edinborough (pardon the wrong spelling), you can find their information online, but you can contact either regardless of where in the UK you are.