LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

07-12-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigeji View Post
i actually wanna stay in japan for college to so i've been busy doing research. do you know Waseda University? Google Waseda SILS, its "School of International Liberal Arts" and Sofia has one too && also ICU which is "International Christian University"
those are the three schools im aiming for =].
they seem pretty cool so, thought you might wanna check it out!
=]
Im gonna do my exchange year at Waseda(SILS). I think it's fine for a year, but _not_ for an entire education. There are just a variety of odd courses, and I feel it would be hard to get a real education out of it (if it's even allowed to study there for anything else than an exchange).

なんでやねん!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Senbee (Offline)
JF Regular

07-12-2008, 08:42 PM

Wow thanks a lot for all the replies

First thanks to Miak. I checked out the website you suggested for studying Japanese and its really awesome.

I realize that it won't be easy to find a good job in Japan, with a Japanese degree. But will it be that much easier with a German/American degree? I doubt it. Getting a Japanese degree also might help me in other countries, so that if I really fail in Japan I can go back to something. I am not sure about what I want to study but I know that I want to go to Japan. I also believe that it is possible to build up a decent amount of contacts in 4 years and perhaps start developing things from there. Going to Japan will certainly not be easy but at least it will be interesting .

SILS, Sofia and ICU look pretty sweet, thanks for the advice

ps. can someone tell me how to quote other people in a forum xD, haven't quite figured that out yet
(#13 (permalink))
Old
sillygodxdisco (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to sillygodxdisco
07-25-2008, 03:41 AM

Are there Colleges/University's in Japan where non fluent speakers can apply to? (something like an international college)

- yes. there are english colleges where you earn both u.s. and japan credits, and classes are taught in english. in tokyo, the most popular ones are sophia u, temple u, and international christian u. i suggest you check them out. if you want to go to a regular japanese college, you need to pass certain levels of the JLPT which would probably be hard. i wouldn't recommend it. even i wouldn't go, and i'm japanese, only because i've lived in the u.s. my whole life and thus am not a native japanese speaker, so i wouldn't be able to get the full experience out of a japanese college.

And how hard is it to be accepted into one?

- temple university is extremely easy, i hear. there are people there with GPAs as low as 1.5. i don't know if germany has GPAs though. but trust me it's easy. ICU and sophia are harder, but still reasonable.

How much does the average University in Japan cost?

- expensive, but it doesn't matter much to me because i plan to apply for a scholarship and it's not that big of a difference from how much it would cost to go to a college in the u.s.

Am I beeing a complete fool for wanting to study there or is it actualy realistic xD?

- no it's realistic. temple university's students represent over 40 countries.

"listen a heartless shout listen a heartless cry listen a heartless world"
.. cyclone : 12012 ♪

facebook
&
mixi

girugamesh. rentrer en soi. antic cafe. the gazette. ♥
(#14 (permalink))
Old
tehfincheh (Offline)
New to JF

07-26-2008, 04:22 PM

My girlfriend studied abroad in Tokyo and she had a great time. I'm not sure whether it's because she's got the hot for Japanese people, or because she's genuinely mystified by the culture, but she's started applying to all the local Japanese businesses around where we live.

Weird.