JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#121 (permalink))
Old
Maku (Offline)
Not a happy bunny.

Send a message via MSN to Maku
05-09-2007, 12:36 AM

They ask for a degree, but they don't specify.
Do they expect the degree to be in English, or does it not matter what degree it is, as long as there is one?

"Mossad knows what my Aunt Judy eats for breakfast."
Jack West Jr.
(#122 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

05-09-2007, 04:41 AM

University level degree in any field will suffice. There are certain areas of study that may give you a slight advantage such as education (imagine that?), Asian studies, taking Japanese courses, studying any language for that matter, music and art majors too because they view them as being potentially creative teachers. Seriously though, I have met more computer science majors in my area than any other degree type.
(#123 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

My Resume and Cover Letter - 05-09-2007, 05:07 AM

Your resume and cover letter are going to be on separate pages with your contact information as the header. On the cover letter, include the address of the person you are sending it to even if like me you emailed all the potential employers. That reminds me that along with these, you are going to write an email that will be along the same lines as the cover letter only more brief and bare of specifics about education and what not. Some employers ask for an essay describing why you want to work in Japan, you're on your own on that one.

Education

2001-2005 University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Bachelors of Arts in International Studies-East Asia, Minor in Japanese

Fall 2004 University of Language and Culture, Beijing, China, Level 1 Chinese

1996-2000 West Rowan High School, Mount Ulla, North Carolina

Academic Awards- College credit earned in high school through Advanced Placement Exam in English Composition

Work Experience

1998-2006 Lake Norman Seafood, Assistant Kitchen Manager

Now the cover letter:

Dear Daredemo,

I am a recent graduate of University of North Carolina at Charlotte. As a student in the International Studies program there I have always sought to broaden myself through experiencing and learning of foreign cultures. I chose to concentrate on East Asia out of curiousity at first but have quickly come to love and respect the culture and languages.

I am writing to you in response to your opening for English teachers and believe that my experiences and background would make me an excellent candidate for the position. Studying both Japanese and Chinese in school, I believe that I have a first hand understanding of how languages are acquired and the teaching methods involved. I am looking to continue learning as I am currently enrolled in one of the online certification programs for Teaching English as a Second Language.

My exposure through friends, studying abroad and university courses to foreign languages and cultures has given me insight into how difficult yet crucial English education is. I know the challenges facing your students and look forward to helping them try to overcome the obstacles facing them.

Thank you for your time and I look forward hearing from you soon.

Sincerely, Jason
(#124 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

05-09-2007, 05:22 AM

Now for a few things I want to point out:
1) You will notice that not once do I mention grades or GPA.
2) In the first cover letter I included humbling statements like sought to, believe that, would make me, looking to, and try to. Watch the difference when I remove these phrases. They are sublimnal at best, but you want to leave the employer no room to doubt that you are anything less than the best person for the job.
3) Take note that at the time I was searching for a job, I was enrolled in an online certificate program which was true but gave the impression that I would be a certified teacher. Well, I got the job and stopped doing the program. When my company shows school boards, English teachers and parents my file, they make the claim that I am certified which doesn't bother me at all.

I am a recent graduate of University of North Carolina at Charlotte. As a student in the International Studies program I have broadened myself through experiencing and learning of foreign cultures. I chose to concentrate on East Asia out of curiousity at first but have quickly come to love and respect the culture and languages.

I am writing to you in response to your opening for English teachers and because my experiences and background make me an excellent candidate for the position. Studying both Japanese and Chinese in school, I have a first hand understanding of how languages are acquired and the teaching methods involved. Also I am continuing to learn through enrollment in one of the online certification programs for Teaching English as a Second Language.

My exposure through friends, studying abroad and university courses to foreign languages and cultures has given me insight into how difficult yet crucial English education is. I know the challenges facing your students and look forward to helping them overcome the obstacles facing them and encourage them to continue studying.

Last edited by jasonbvr : 05-09-2007 at 05:31 AM.
(#125 (permalink))
Old
Xlll (Offline)
JF Regular

05-09-2007, 11:08 PM

I have a few questions to ask regarding moving to Japan. So please take the time to answer any of the possible questions below, any comments is greatly appreciated and welcomed. Thank you.

1. What belongings (i.e. paperwork, etc.) should one take for living in Japan, and not visiting?

2. What basic (i.e. general) knowledge should one know before traveling to Japan, and from personal experience, is there a particular budget one should keep in mind if planning to return to America, and if so, approximately how much?

3. Is it possible to travel to Japan and actually live there upon arrival, or are there specific requirements that one (i.e. foreigner) has to undertake before living in Japan?
(#126 (permalink))
Old
Maku (Offline)
Not a happy bunny.

Send a message via MSN to Maku
05-09-2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
University level degree in any field will suffice. There are certain areas of study that may give you a slight advantage such as education (imagine that?), Asian studies, taking Japanese courses, studying any language for that matter, music and art majors too because they view them as being potentially creative teachers. Seriously though, I have met more computer science majors in my area than any other degree type.
Ah that's good then, because I'm planning on taking Music Tech to university.
Hopefully I'll be able to get a decent A level in English Language too.
If you don't have a degree, would it still be likely that you would be able to teach over there if you had decent qualifications in other ways?

"Mossad knows what my Aunt Judy eats for breakfast."
Jack West Jr.
(#127 (permalink))
Old
pandayanyan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to pandayanyan Send a message via MSN to pandayanyan
05-10-2007, 01:17 AM

Thank you, that outlines exactly what I was asking/ looking for. Again I must say you are a master of the arts of answers. Lol Thanks again.
(#128 (permalink))
Old
Xlll (Offline)
JF Regular

05-10-2007, 01:59 AM

It is required to have a degree in order to work in Japan, even if the applied job is customer service? Or does it only apply to people who are planning on working in a particular working field (i.e. career), and planning on living in Japan?
(#129 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

05-10-2007, 09:05 AM

Sadly enough, you better stay in school and earn that degree. The degree is for the purpose of getting the work visa through immigration rather than being a requirement of your employer. Japan places different requirements for nationals of different countries that must be met in order to obtain a working visa. For Americans, Britains and other "first world countries" they will most likely require the minimum of a university degree. Now say if you were a Brazillian coming to work in a car plant, a university degree may not be needed. I was at one point in time going to look into the specifics of working visas but have never found the time. I would check out the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the Ministry of Labor for details.

If you are American and without a degree, your visa will be valid for three months and not qualify you to work unless it is a student visa and you get permission. The other day, I saw on JF that there was even a question over whether dependents, spouses or otherwise of those with working visas, would be able to work in Japan even just part time. Which is not really enough to support oneself in my opinion much less be able to travel.

Last edited by jasonbvr : 05-10-2007 at 09:08 AM.
(#130 (permalink))
Old
Xlll (Offline)
JF Regular

05-10-2007, 02:04 PM

Well, I was planning on living there, as in, not just visiting or the like, but living there. I guess you can say I'm looking forward into a new kind of life and culture. In any case, so in order for me to work in Japan successfully and efficiently, I basically need a college degree, correct? Even so, I hear working visa allows you to only stay for a minimum of three years in Japan, which I'm planning on staying longer than that given duration. What visa do I need to work and live in Japan at my leisure, or does this particular visa has a limit to it as well?