(#11 (permalink))
Old
OsakaPapa (Offline)
I <3 Osaka

Send a message via AIM to OsakaPapa
10-04-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
It's not uncommon, though. I'm black myself, and have had some family say things like, "Don't they hate black people over there?" or "Aren't they prejudiced against black people over there?" It's mostly older relatives though. I can see why they would question it. It's worse enough blacks are considered a minority in the US, but in places like Japan, we're minorities amongst minorities, so if anything, it's a fear issue. Despite what some might say, I would still like to go someday. I've had an interest in Japan way too much for far too long (like Asia in general as a traveling destination).

If my older cousin can live in Thailand, which I admire him for, I can live in or visit Japan. Race be damned!
Agreed! You'll definitely see black people in Tokyo, I can promise you that. In other places, not so much, but hey, you might be local celebrities XP Usually people will be really curious about you if you aren't Japanese, so it can actually be fun sometimes to be non-Japanese when you're in Japan, be it black, white, or anything in between

Btw, the link to the other thread about this is: Im afraid to go to japan because im black

なんでやねん

- Studied in Tokyo for my 2007 Spring Semester. Lived in Ota-ku in the Ontakesan area. Pics can be found on my Facebook. Feel free to add me ^_^
(#12 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
10-04-2008, 08:10 AM

I am going to be totally honest, though. I was curious how black females were viewed in Japan, but, I can say that it never ruined my aspirations of wanting to go there, even if I was hesitant on trying at one small point. I'm at the point now, have been for a long time, where I just don't care one way or the other.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
tifa (Offline)
and they ask why kpop win

Send a message via MSN to tifa Send a message via Yahoo to tifa
10-04-2008, 11:37 AM

no no its common! in fact black ppl have became excepted in japan lonnng time lol i even saw one on " the game show *do not laugh*" but some black people r a bit scared to go thinking they will be hated! blahhhh go russia and be scared in stead lalalalala|~~~

I LOVE k-pop...i adore j-rock...but my heart goes to?!! from shinee ,suju ,dbsk ,bigbang only loving you K-POP!!!!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
FukaiBi (Offline)
New to JF

Thanx! - 10-04-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsakaPapa View Post
Agreed! You'll definitely see black people in Tokyo, I can promise you that. In other places, not so much, but hey, you might be local celebrities XP Usually people will be really curious about you if you aren't Japanese, so it can actually be fun sometimes to be non-Japanese when you're in Japan, be it black, white, or anything in between

Btw, the link to the other thread about this is: Im afraid to go to japan because im black
Ya that would be cool if i ran into local celebs! (it wouldn't be the first time) but i've never met TOHOSHINKI....that would be AMAZING!!! and thanx for the link, I read it

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

The words of Winston Churchill
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-04-2008, 08:41 PM

No, but it would be uncommon to see a black man swimming or smoking a non-menthol cigarette. I have never seen this. But, you should have no problem in Japan. It's not so much racism as "our country's been sheltered for so long, and we're still realizing people come in other colors".

Gaijinsmash is a funny blog written by Az-sensei, a black gentleman who taught with the JET program and is engaged (maybe they got married) to a Japanese lady
(#16 (permalink))
Old
FukaiBi (Offline)
New to JF

Wow!! - 10-05-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton421 View Post
No, but it would be uncommon to see a black man swimming or smoking a non-menthol cigarette. I have never seen this. But, you should have no problem in Japan. It's not so much racism as "our country's been sheltered for so long, and we're still realizing people come in other colors".

Gaijinsmash is a funny blog written by Az-sensei, a black gentleman who taught with the JET program and is engaged (maybe they got married) to a Japanese lady
You have never seen a black man swimming?!?! ok that was random LOL!! but 2 never have seen that I find pretty interesting. and the cigarette thing IDK about!

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

(#17 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-05-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FukaiBi View Post
You have never seen a black man swimming?!?! ok that was random LOL!! but 2 never have seen that I find pretty interesting. and the cigarette thing IDK about!
It's kind of a stereotype that black people don't swim. I thought it was a joke, but every time I go to the swimming hole or pool, if there's a black gentleman he'll just sit on the side I did see one try at the pool, and he just kind of... sank, slowly, with the straightest face, I can't explain it haha
(#18 (permalink))
Old
FukaiBi (Offline)
New to JF

How weird - 10-05-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
It's kind of a stereotype that black people don't swim. I thought it was a joke, but every time I go to the swimming hole or pool, if there's a black gentleman he'll just sit on the side I did see one try at the pool, and he just kind of... sank, slowly, with the straightest face, I can't explain it haha
So you live in Japan? Because I see black people swim all the time (i live in USA) so I just thought that was funny & weird, something I've never heard of!! HA HA HA it's funny

(#19 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
10-05-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I understand what you mean by this. I know I don't swim because I don't want to mess up my hair. lol Maybe that's where the stereotype came from and seems it's more common not to see black women not swimming than black men.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
FukaiBi (Offline)
New to JF

10-06-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
I understand what you mean by this. I know I don't swim because I don't want to mess up my hair. lol Maybe that's where the stereotype came from and seems it's more common not to see black women not swimming than black men.
OMG that is so true!! Even my hair is crazy when it gets wet LOL!!