JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#241 (permalink))
Old
MasaruShin (Offline)
Shinobi from Shambhala.

08-20-2009, 02:59 AM

I will visit the Land of the Rising Sun, then come home to the Statue.

/statement.

"Your greatest enemy; lies within your own doubt." ~Masaru Shin
(#242 (permalink))
Old
mangostine (Offline)
New to JF

09-07-2009, 11:46 PM

Hello, I've just registered with the forum solely because of this thread.
I have read the posts in this forum. But there is a question I still have.

I am very interested in Japan. And no, it's not because of anime or manga; I barely read/watch that. I am just intrigued by its history, and okay, I admit, it's pop culture (but that's not the reason I want to visit Japan). I am also fascinated by its language; etc. However, I do understand that living there is quite an extreme statement, and I do realize that there are many downsides to living in Japan.

But before I go on, I must make it clear that I have never been to Japan. I've wanted to visit there ever since I was very young, but because my parents favor rather anti-Japanese views (we are Chinese), I have never had the chance to do so.

Everyone here says you need a "plan". Yes, I do plan on visiting in the near future, but I'm seriously confused as to what I should do after that (assuming I enjoyed my stay, if I didn't, well, then Japan is not for me.). Should I sign up for study abroad programs? How do I get about actually doing something there (like programs, or work?) I am learning the language currently but am no where near the fluency I'll need to reside there for more than a month.

Also, people say not to assume you will get a job just because you have a degree. I do not have this assumption, but I AM wondering how exactly getting a job works there. I'm assuming it depends greatly on a person's fluency in Japanese (obviously), but are there other things that they look at?

I know that because I've never actually been there or experienced life there that my view of Japan is very likely to be ... inaccurate. I do understand that there are downsides, but I'm still confused as to how everything works there in order for a person to "settle down".

I am not saying I'm going to live in Japan. I'm just merely curious as to how it will actually work.

Please comment, you will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by mangostine : 09-07-2009 at 11:48 PM.
(#243 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-08-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangostine View Post
I do not have this assumption, but I AM wondering how exactly getting a job works there. I'm assuming it depends greatly on a person's fluency in Japanese (obviously), but are there other things that they look at?
You'll need a work visa to work in Japan. Your employer will have to sponsor you and basically justify to the gov't why they should hire you as opposed to someone off the street.

In other words, while Japanese fluency is an asset, you'll need a lot more since all Japanese citizens are fluent in Japanese.
(#244 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-08-2009, 01:02 AM

You're in the wrong thread really. For advice on how to be able to live in Japan, see if you can find the "I live in Japan" thread (shouldn't be too far down), not the "I don't want to live in Japan" thread!
(#245 (permalink))
Old
mangostine (Offline)
New to JF

09-08-2009, 01:59 AM

Ah ~ you're right, sorry! I was too caught up in everything .
(#246 (permalink))
Old
mamamam (Offline)
New to JF

09-12-2009, 08:57 PM

i love the country with all its habits and rituals, its art and religion, but can´t imagine to spend there more than 2 month in one run, i hate that first sight non-conformism bound in the rigid extremely conservative skeleton.
(#247 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-16-2009, 11:06 PM

The most important of living in another country should be acceptance of others, and having no expectations of anything, but then again, be prepared for everything. Be prepared that people might not like you at first, be prepared that no one might even wanna hang out with you, be prepared that you might be stereotyped....be prepared that you will meet good people and bad people.

I think one should be completely fluent....I mean COMPLETELY fluent in the language, before one can really understand how a foreign country functions, its culture and everything.

I think people who go to Japan should really try as much as possible, hang with the local Japanese people there, learn Japanese, become as fluent as possible as fast as you can....maybe then you can determine if this country fits your living style or not.

When my aunt moved to Japan, she stopped speaking her language, and started learning Japanese 24/7. I mean she wrote letters in Japanese, she listened to Japanese, read in Japanese, spoke in Japanese....nothing else. Literally nothing else. She went to the same restauarant everyday and forced herself to befriend the owner there......and from such communication, her Japanese improved vastly. And now, she's extremely succesful, owns her own business, and has many Japanese friends whom she can confide in.

This, is what you should do, or must do, if you're prepared to live in Japan for a long time. By long I mean 10-15 years if that's what you're planning.

If you're just there for a short period, even 3-4 years....I don't think you can really have a true understanding of Japan in that time.

But are a lot of people willing to do something like that, and just "forget" about their home country.......

Who knows....but then again, anyone can be happy, and stable, and successful in ANY country if they worked hard for their goals.
(#248 (permalink))
Old
liquidfreedom88 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to liquidfreedom88
09-27-2009, 05:49 AM

never plan to live there, but curious bout everything there. coz i like to see new things

"Time understand nothing. They dont understand hatred, They dont understand agony, They dont understand pain. They keep going through despite how our condition might be and heedless of human's failure and success."
(#249 (permalink))
Old
Neffiline (Offline)
JF Regular

04-16-2010, 03:21 PM

I'm glad this thread exists.

Saying "I wanna live in Japan!" without visiting it first sounds just as stupid as "I wanna live in that house!" without visiting it and the neighborhood.

I had ideas and opinions about Japan and especially Tokyo before I visited which turned out to be totally wrong. It's like some people check out the pictures, watch movies and/or animes and get this dream idea that's totally unrealistic about a country they think they know, but truthfully they don't.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my trip to Japan, I will definitely be going back to visit more of the country, but I would never live there. I'm very comfy in Canada. Lol

(#250 (permalink))
Old
Helgen (Offline)
New to JF

04-16-2010, 04:56 PM

Wow at original poster. I didn't think anybody here would say something like that, now I feel a bit more comfortable because no offense to those, but I felt like this place was immersed in Otaku kids who watch a lot of Anime or play a lot of video games, then want to suddenly move here, like if it will be a paradise.

Honestly, Japan is really all work, and no play... Well if you want to really LIVE here. The work ethic is quite rough here, there are no over times, no bonuses really ETC, it is just straight, cold work. And usually, most people work at the same company either for life, or more than 5-10 years. Quitting could result in you not getting a next job lol. I do not know this personally, but most of my Japanese friends told me this. I felt they might be overeacting, but one of my friends works for Bravis (a major media company responsible for 60% of Japan's design on products, beverages, foods ETC) we chat on MSN sometimes... She would say hi at 6:30am, and say bye to me at 11:30pm, no joke. She gets no bonuses or overtime, and she is the HEAD EDITOR hahaha!

I am living here temporarily, but I am legal to stay as long as I want, but honestly, New York is better. Why? Free health care, free food money regardless you working (yes, I use my states system!,) easier to find jobs (even though for the past 2 years, it has been quite depression ridden,) and everything is open 24/7 in NYC for the most part.

Just visit Japan before you decide to live here, because while it is indeed a great looking place, architectually, visually, futuristic somewhat ETC, it is a place of hard work ethic, in my opinion "ass kissing," and stress. You will get stressed when you come to a place where everything is Kanji and you might be opted to have to walk miles to something else, like food for instance. When I first came here to decide if I want to live here, I got home sick and panic attacked.

But when I got on the plane, I was like "damn... I miss it lol." Next time I went back, I was more prepared, and I enjoyed it very much, and was more aware of the seriousness of it, and how to actually have fun, work and do what I need to do. It is reality, it isn't something on Adult Swim or on a fan translated screen/book.

Come first though, you are bound to love it

My blog about living in Japan, photography of random stuff in it and all types of other shit.

Last edited by Helgen : 04-16-2010 at 04:59 PM.