JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Japan's Best Prefectures? - 05-19-2007, 11:30 PM

What are the best prefectures in Japan? In a few years I hope to be an ALT in Japan and just wondering which prefectures I should set my eyes on. I was thinking about Saitama at first since it's close to Tokyo but I read from people that it's basically a shithole with the Japanese there being the equivalent of rednecks and a place with no Japanese charm. I was also thinking about Chiba since it's also not too far but I've read it's not that great either. So what is the best prefecture do you think? I like warm weather but many people like Hokkaido so I don't know if I should settle for the cold. Kobe, Osaka and Kyoto also seem popular. I'm not sure if I'd like an inaka (countryside) or a small or large city. If I was in inaka I'd like easy access to the bigger cities. Out of these, which do you recommend and which to avoid, and why?

Fukushima
Ibaraki
Tochigi
Gunma
Saitama
Chiba
Kanagawa
Niigata
Toyama
Ishikawa
Fukui
Yamanashi
Nagano
Gifu
Shizuoka
Aichi
Mie
Shiga
Kyoto
Osaka
Hyogo
Nara
Wakayama
Tottori
Shimane
Okayama
Hiroshima
Yamaguchi
Tokushima
Kagawa
Ehime
Kochi
Fukuoka
Saga
Nagasaki
Kumamoto
Oita
Miyazaki
Kagoshima
Okinawa
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Xlll (Offline)
JF Regular

05-20-2007, 01:25 AM

I had the same question, what place would be the "best" to move to when traveling to Japan? I asked myself, of course Tokyo came to mind at first, and my answer still is the same. Though I feel there's still countless great places to be seen in Japan, so there really is no "correct" answer. Just preference is all.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-20-2007, 05:10 AM

Aichi is a really nice place to live, nice city life, but plenty of greenery. Gifu isn`t too bad if you`re into historical stuff - Gifu city is kind of mundane though. Shiga is sort of nice. Shizuoka has too much touristy stuff. Mie is cool if you like futuristic looking chemical factories.

And then there is Fukui, which has come out on top of the "happiest prefecture" "richest prefecture", "most natural beauty" etc etc lists for god only knows how long.

I wish I could help with other prefectures, but as I don`t have THAT much experience outside of this area. My visits to Saitama, Chiba, and Tokyo all sucked to no end. You couldn`t PAY me to live around there.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-20-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Aichi is a really nice place to live, nice city life, but plenty of greenery. Gifu isn`t too bad if you`re into historical stuff - Gifu city is kind of mundane though. Shiga is sort of nice. Shizuoka has too much touristy stuff. Mie is cool if you like futuristic looking chemical factories.

And then there is Fukui, which has come out on top of the "happiest prefecture" "richest prefecture", "most natural beauty" etc etc lists for god only knows how long.

I wish I could help with other prefectures, but as I don`t have THAT much experience outside of this area. My visits to Saitama, Chiba, and Tokyo all sucked to no end. You couldn`t PAY me to live around there.
Thanks for the advice. I'll be exploring my options. Chemical factories? I'm sure that's not good for your health. Then again, I'm sure there's tons of chemicals floating around everywhere. Right now I'm keeping an eye on Shizuoka because this person who has lived there for three years really likes it and can't say enough good things about it. However, what got me interested is that it has easy access to the bigger cities like Nagoya, Kyoto and Tokyo. Check out this link and read her comments and look at her links. She's really making this place seem like heaven.

BigDaikon.com :: View topic - Shizuoka Uber Thread
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Xlll (Offline)
JF Regular

05-20-2007, 04:37 PM

Yeah, she has quite a lot of information inputed in that thread, but it seems all school related or the sort. Are you going there for school related matters?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-20-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlll View Post
Yeah, she has quite a lot of information inputed in that thread, but it seems all school related or the sort. Are you going there for school related matters?
I want to be an ALT (Assistant Language Teacher) in an organization like JET in a few years. I just want to know some good prefectures so I can write them down in my preferences on the application.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Xlll (Offline)
JF Regular

05-21-2007, 12:15 AM

Wow, it seems everyone seems to want to be an ALT or joined the JET program. As much as I appreciate teaching others my native language, I couldn't possibly ignore or deny the job I want to be in. I always thought being a ALT or joining the JET program can only take you so far, but not the entire way.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-21-2007, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlll View Post
Wow, it seems everyone seems to want to be an ALT or joined the JET program. As much as I appreciate teaching others my native language, I couldn't possibly ignore or deny the job I want to be in. I always thought being a ALT or joining the JET program can only take you so far, but not the entire way.
If you don't mind me asking, what job do you want to be in? Do you want to work in Japan? The reason many people want to be an ALT is because it's an easy way to explore and live in Japan.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Xlll (Offline)
JF Regular

05-21-2007, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostBlade
If you don't mind me asking, what job do you want to be in? Do you want to work in Japan? The reason many people want to be an ALT is because it's an easy way to explore and live in Japan.
Hmm, I haven't thought of it much to be honest, though I can't possibly see myself being a ALT or joining the JET program even though I hear its the easiest route to choose when wanting to work and live in Japan. Yes, I always wanted to work in Japan, seeing as how I always dreamed of seeking a new life and a diverse one at that. I guess you can say that I always had my eyes set on Japan from the start. I would like to work in a business firm or top notch company, so I say, but of course I have to become fluent in Nihongo first before I can come across the thought, which I plan on doing, and being a ALT or joining the JET program is far from that considering you teach and work with English basically throughout the whole day.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-21-2007, 02:10 AM

Hyogo - is a very nice place. it is big, Kobe is part of Hyogo-ken. Its near osaka, kyoto and himeji ( though I think this is still part of Hyogo ). Nature, night life, historical places its all there.

Hiroshima- is a very interesting city/pref. to live in. Compare to the other major city, it is a calmer there. I like it there too. I had a very memorable trip to Hiroshima, and if I have a time again, would love to visit the place again. The transportation system is very interesting too.

Kyoto - my forever love . I never get tired of visiting Kyoto. I simple love this place. Need I say more, its Kyoto

Osaka - a busy and bustling city, 2nd to Tokyo. It is basically also known as a "subway city". Transportation withing the city is more on subway that is. Both upperground and lowerground of the city is bustling. You can even get lost underground of Osaka. Basically there is "another" city beneath the city.

Wakayama - very countryside. I still have to go to the mountain and sea area, but what Ive seen in the city so far, well lets just say I got bored after 30 minutes of walking around But they say, Koyasan ( Mount Koya) and sea area, is a very good place to get away too on summer, so I've still got to visit the place.

Saitama - very countryside. Not for me.

Chiba - very countryside. Not for me too.

Nara - if you love deer , there are lots of it in Nara . Actually the place is peaceful. But well, it is still too countryside for me.

Mie - hmm when I went there, I did not see any factories at all, must be the other side of Mie. It is a very nice place to visit, but not for me too.

Kanagawa - well I live in the area near the main plant/office of our main company before, but I don't think the place is for me too Unfortunately, Ive not toured the whole area when I live there, because we were not allowed to used a bike ..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------