JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#341 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

06-01-2007, 03:22 AM

No, as far as work visas you have to have proof of employment (sponsored) before you are granted the visa.

Now you can come to Japan with a tourist visa and then be granted a work visa after getting a job. That is completely possible, but when you enter Japan with a tourist visa you have to have a return flight ticket scheduled for before the visa expires. So if you get a job, then most likely than not you will not be able to use the return part of you ticket.
(#342 (permalink))
Old
Osensei (Offline)
New to JF

06-01-2007, 04:09 AM

Makes sense. From your experience or from others you know or heard from, for those seeking employment in Japan but is currently residing in one's native country, which of the two selections is more efficient and less stressing; staying in one's native country and seek employment online until being hired, or travel to Japan with a tourist visa and seek employment from there?
(#343 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-01-2007, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
Now you can come to Japan with a tourist visa and then be granted a work visa after getting a job.
Do they still make you leave the country these days to change visas? I know that was the norm back in the 90s, but I wonder if they`ve changed it. (And as it doesn`t apply to me, I don`t feel like hunting down the answer.)

Back in the day, before I was married, I came to Japan *twice* on one way tickets, and was never asked to present my return ticket. It was when I was living with my boyfriend-now-husband here. He was going to visit the US with me so we wanted to get the tickets together for one of them, and the other was when I came and actually got married. I`d spent the holidays with family in the US.

They never asked about, or to see my return ticket... Although I imagine things could be significantly different these days.

Some jobs in Japan DO require you have a degree, regardless of visa. I found this out when I was working on my degree and wanted some part time work - without a degree or some sort of proof of qualification, they refused to hire. I believe the government has been picky about that sort of thing recently - if they are advertising for someone with a degree they may stick to that even if you have a valid visa.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#344 (permalink))
Old
yamashita (Offline)
JF Regular

06-01-2007, 06:28 AM

and is it possible for me to get a job as a GERMAN teacher if I m a native speaker as well?
is there any interest in japan?

schnickschnackschnuck
(#345 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

06-01-2007, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamashita View Post
and is it possible for me to get a job as a GERMAN teacher if I m a native speaker as well?
is there any interest in japan?
My knowledge about specific institution is really only limited to the JET Programme, but I know that they do indeed take in a small number of ALTs to teach French and German classes.

The demand for a German (or French) teacher in Japan is quite low (compared to English) - but it's there.
(#346 (permalink))
Old
yamashita (Offline)
JF Regular

06-01-2007, 07:24 AM

o.k.

thanks!

schnickschnackschnuck
(#347 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

06-01-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Do they still make you leave the country these days to change visas?

Back in the day, before I was married, I came to Japan *twice* on one way tickets, and was never asked to present my return ticket.
No, you can remain in the country to change visa status.

They asked me when boarding in the US. Not about showing the return flight but rather they asked why I was flying to Japan on a one way ticket. I just had to show my visa and re-entry permit.
(#348 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

06-01-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osensei View Post
Makes sense. From your experience or from others you know or heard from, for those seeking employment in Japan but is currently residing in one's native country, which of the two selections is more efficient and less stressing; staying in one's native country and seek employment online until being hired, or travel to Japan with a tourist visa and seek employment from there?
Traveling to Japan without a job is going to be a bit expensive. Not only will you be paying for the return ticket, but once you are here you are going to need a place to stay and be able to travel around for interviews. It could take you a month or longer to find a job.

However when I was hired over the net, I had to fly in on a round trip since there was not enough time to do the visa process. Luckily I was able to use the return half to visit home after 3 months.

As far as stress, doing the interview process at home is much easier. When you are here, they always want to meet you in person which could be a three hour train ride to make an interview for a job that you might not get.
(#349 (permalink))
Old
Takushimazu (Offline)
New to JF

06-01-2007, 12:28 PM

jasonbvr, thank you so much for your help.. I hope it would not be rude of me to go on to ask:

In my case, how much do you know about spousal visa? Would I be able to work with a spousal visa? ( In England the spouse can work to support the family, is Japanese spousal visa the same? )

The embassy of Japan is kind of vague with its information:

"Personal relationship or status on which the residence is authorized: The spouses of Japanese nationals, the children adopted by Japanese nationals in accordance with the provisions of Article 817-2 of the Civil Code (Law no. 89 of 1896) or those born as the children of Japanese nationals.
Period of stay: 3 years or 1 year
Applicants must either obtain a Certificate of Eligibility or read the next section (Spouse of Japanese Visa) for an alternative procedure. Please note that the procedure given is only a general one and requirements do vary according to nationality etc. Please contact our visa section (Tel: 020 7465 6565) directly to avoid confusion and save time.

Spouse of Japanese Visa

Visa for a legal spouse of a Japanese national to accompany that Japanese spouse to Japan.

REQUIREMENTS

1. Valid passport
2. One visa application form completed and signed
3. One photograph (taken within 6 months)
4. One official copy of the Japanese spouse's family register (Koseki Tohon). This copy must have been issued within three months prior to application for the visa and must show the registered marriage
5. A letter of guarantee from the Japanese spouse
6. The Japanese spouse's passport. If the Japanese spouse is in Japan, an official copy of the Japanese spouse's certificate of residence (Jyumin-hyo) and a photocopy of the Japanese spouse's passport (ID page and any UK visa and entry and exit stamps)
7. Recent bank statements (last 3 months) to show sufficient funds to settle in Japan
"

I know you will probably think "you just posted all of the information you need!" but there are some bits I really don't understand, like it doesn't say if I will be able to work there and if there are any limits on career path?

And "sufficient funds to settle in Japan" how much exactly is "sufficient"??

Also! What happens after the "3 years or 1 year"? Would I have to go back to England??
(#350 (permalink))
Old
Osensei (Offline)
New to JF

06-01-2007, 04:12 PM

From recent studies, it seems the main route in being employed in Japan as a foreigner is becoming an ALT, with countless programs and private companies providing these hands-on services, which program or company would you rate the most outstanding in terms of pay, environment, and benefits? Based on personal experience if you will.