LinkBack Thread Tools
(#881 (permalink))
Old
Mehmet (Offline)
New to JF

Thumbs up 12-10-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I do have a degree in linguistics, received after I was fluent.

As for whether I am exceptionally skilled... I would say it`s more down to environment and putting yourself into situations that force improvement. Japanese air isn`t going to help one bit if you keep yourself in situations that let you get by without Japanese. I was in a homestay, no English environment - and did my best to make friends with the students at the high school I was a "GAP" at (read that as "hanging out there for no pay and without paying as I`d graduated already, but it made the school look cool to have more "international" students...). I tried to avoid falling back on English, and was certainly getting by after a couple months.

Yes. I have level 1.
Wow its amazing you achieved all this without even properly studying japanese! And the Gap year thing seems interesting! Do they still do this for free now? If they do would you know of any highschools that do this around where you live or anywhere in japan?

Domo arigato gozaimasu , You really inspire me and im sure youve inspired many other people as well!
(#882 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-10-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehmet View Post
Wow its amazing you achieved all this without even properly studying japanese!
I could say the same of almost anyone who can speak. You don`t sit around and study your first language...
It is possibly to learn a language in much the same way as you pick up you first language - exposure, trial and error, etc.

Quote:
And the Gap year thing seems interesting! Do they still do this for free now? If they do would you know of any highschools that do this around where you live or anywhere in japan?
I have absolutely no idea. This wasn`t through any sort of program, and was only what the school itself referred to it as. I have no idea whether it is really a program of sorts, or whether/what it costs under normal circumstances.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#883 (permalink))
Old
MTLane (Offline)
New to JF

i would like help :) - 12-11-2008, 03:34 AM

Hi - my husband and I are interested in moving to Japan for a couple of years to explore the culture. We do not speak any Japanese. We both have some college. How hard is it to get a job or to get a place to live? We would like to know if you had any tips. We love the US but also love to explore. Thanks for the advise!!
(#884 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
12-11-2008, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLane View Post
Hi - my husband and I are interested in moving to Japan for a couple of years to explore the culture. We do not speak any Japanese. We both have some college. How hard is it to get a job or to get a place to live? We would like to know if you had any tips. We love the US but also love to explore. Thanks for the advise!!
In order to live there, you need a Visa. One of the easiest ones to get (for those who want to reside there) is a Work Visa. To get a Work Visa, you need to land yourself a job, and the employer has to sponsor the visa. One requirement is that one has a Bachelor's degree (for the Visa) and one of the easiest jobs to apply for, for a foreigner, is that of an English Language Teacher.

As for getting a place, as I mentioned earlier (which no one commented on, so I guess it's true), it's more difficult for a foreigner to find one without some help, especially if there's the whole language barrier.
(#885 (permalink))
Old
MTLane (Offline)
New to JF

12-12-2008, 02:53 AM

Thanks for the tips -
(#886 (permalink))
Old
tommy187 (Offline)
New to JF

12-12-2008, 09:09 AM

hey! it sounded like you were in the same boat as me lol but im 18 but heres the thing i want to do, i want to be able to go to japan and try to go back to school there also and make alot of new friends and have a new life that i can make for myself but me being with only a 9th grade education, i would'nt know if they would take me at all at school over there. I'm also wondering if you could help me find a host family to stay unless your willing to take me in while i try to go to school there I mean i'm willing to Pay to stay there with you and go to school but I'm not rich or anything so like a decent amount i could pay just give me anyhelp or insight about this dream i want to make true, i also would take japanese langauge classes hopefully dureing school or afterschool! ! please give me and answer Nyororin!
(#887 (permalink))
Old
UsagiKawaii (Offline)
New to JF

Help please - 12-13-2008, 05:07 PM

Hey Nyororin-san
Like everybody else Im looking for some answers and your just the right person to give them. Im only fourteen years old but I have been dreaming about Japan since I was... Five? I know that Japan is not some sugar coated wonderland but I have always had a serious interest in the country. I have been looking at all sorts of exchange programs but they only offer one high school year and I want all three! Ive searched and searched but didnt find anything. Do you know some place that offers you three years? And do you know someone who would open their home for a student, and can you even stay in Japan as a student at some family if your not connected to some organisation or program? And at last, is it easy to require a student visa? A little heads up, I live in Denmark.
Hope you will reply.
(#888 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-13-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiKawaii View Post
Hey Nyororin-san
Like everybody else Im looking for some answers and your just the right person to give them. Im only fourteen years old but I have been dreaming about Japan since I was... Five? I know that Japan is not some sugar coated wonderland but I have always had a serious interest in the country. I have been looking at all sorts of exchange programs but they only offer one high school year and I want all three! Ive searched and searched but didnt find anything. Do you know some place that offers you three years? And do you know someone who would open their home for a student, and can you even stay in Japan as a student at some family if your not connected to some organization or program? And at last, is it easy to require a student visa? A little heads up, I live in Denmark.
Hope you will reply.
I don't think you know what it's like living in a very foreign country like Japan for an extended period of time. You don't want to commit yourself to 3 years without trying it first. I'd suggest doing a 1 year program, see how you like it, then maybe go back when you're in university, or try English teaching after you graduate from university.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#889 (permalink))
Old
SwapSwap (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to SwapSwap
12-14-2008, 01:50 AM

i'd have to agree with samurai on that Usagi i was in the same boat as you so i can relate. Your just gonna have to learn to be patient try the 1 year program and wait it out if you like it. If your really dedicated to your dream you'l wait ^^.

Even if there is but one footprint left
This life's journey isn't over yet and so i go on
L'arc~en~ciel
(#890 (permalink))
Old
UsagiKawaii (Offline)
New to JF

sniffle - 12-15-2008, 08:52 PM

Hmm.. Maybe. But look at Nyororin. She traveled to Japan and lived there for a long period. Im just saying. I dont want to sound dumb or anything. I stayed in another country for a year and it was just awesome, but then when the year is over you have to leave all the friends youve made and the places you love. And I stayed in Tanzania so you can say that I know alot about getting accoustumed to a new culture. And besides that I didnt get any answers for my other questions