JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#901 (permalink))
Old
Kyuusei (Offline)
New to JF

O.o - 01-06-2009, 05:25 AM

I'm inspired!
I'm 16, and I've wanted to move to Japan since I was around 10.
I started out wanting to go because of anime ^^;
But then I got interested in Japanese culture in general.
My mom is pretty nice, me and her just don't get along.
When I'm eighteen me and one of my friends who shares the same dream of going to Japan, plan on moving there if we can.

I was just wondering, how much would it normally cost to live in Japan for a year, just with like food cost and living cost. I know it would depend on where we lived and everything, we either want to go to Nagoya or Osaka.
Also any idea how much it would cost to go to a university?
(#902 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

01-06-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusei View Post
I'm inspired!
I'm 16, and I've wanted to move to Japan since I was around 10.
I started out wanting to go because of anime ^^;
But then I got interested in Japanese culture in general.
My mom is pretty nice, me and her just don't get along.
When I'm eighteen me and one of my friends who shares the same dream of going to Japan, plan on moving there if we can.

I was just wondering, how much would it normally cost to live in Japan for a year, just with like food cost and living cost. I know it would depend on where we lived and everything, we either want to go to Nagoya or Osaka.
Also any idea how much it would cost to go to a university?
It will cost quite a bit to live in Japan. How will you live? You need a job, so therefore some sort of sponsorship.

Go read through the thread on "Graduate from college if you want to live in Japan"

Most people move from one country to another for more realistic reason, I would recommend against it if its just an attraction to the culture that was presented by various medias or if you want to move because you want to get away from your mom or country
(#903 (permalink))
Old
Kyuusei (Offline)
New to JF

01-07-2009, 04:46 AM

Well, I was wanting to go to college in Japan. So I'd probably go there as a transfer student. Me and my friend know it'll cost a lot, so we want to start saving up now, so we'll have enough money for at least a year, so we'll have time to look for a job while in college. And I at least want to go there while in college, kind of as a trial basis, so I can decide if I want to live there permenantly.
(#904 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-07-2009, 04:56 AM

Living costs aren't cheap... especially if you're living in the heart of the city.

Accommodations can cost you around $1000/mth not including the reikin, skikikin, agent fees, etc. which can cost you another $3000. Add health insurance, transportation, cell phone, food, etc. and you're probably looking at around $25,000 a year to barely survive.
(#905 (permalink))
Old
DesiredMess (Offline)
.Infront of Persona.

01-07-2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusei View Post
Well, I was wanting to go to college in Japan. So I'd probably go there as a transfer student. Me and my friend know it'll cost a lot, so we want to start saving up now, so we'll have enough money for at least a year, so we'll have time to look for a job while in college. And I at least want to go there while in college, kind of as a trial basis, so I can decide if I want to live there permenantly.
You mean working while attending college, right? I may be wrong, but as an exchange student from America, I don't think they allow a work permit while you are attending school.

Videogame junkie extraordinaire. I often need help getting snapped back into reality, so bare with me.
(#906 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

01-08-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredMess View Post
You mean working while attending college, right? I may be wrong, but as an exchange student from America, I don't think they allow a work permit while you are attending school.
I think you are correct. I don't think they let exchange student with a student visa to work in Japan.
(#907 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

01-08-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
I think you are correct. I don't think they let exchange student with a student visa to work in Japan.
You can work as an exchange student on a student visa, however, you first have to get permission from your local immigration bureau, and you'll be limited to only certain types of jobs and you'll be limited to a rather low number of working hours per week.

Honestly, though, if you're an exchange student in Japan and you've got enough time to work part-time, something ain't right. I know that when I was studying in Nagoya a couple years ago, there was no way I could have worked long enough to make any decent amount of money without driving myself into the ground physically and mentally. I did work with some kids teaching English for a couple hours a week, but the money I made certainly wasn't enough to "support" my exchange program.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#908 (permalink))
Old
jewelpre (Offline)
JF Regular

01-12-2009, 04:34 PM

What time of the year would be best to visit Japan.

MyClozet.
Share for fashion statement, sell, buy and swap your
clothes and accessories.
MyClozet is cool place for fashion savvy people
(#909 (permalink))
Old
Kajitsu (Offline)
Is a very strange fruit.

Question 01-13-2009, 11:07 PM

Er...

Is it true that same-sex marriage is illegal in Japan? If so...

*throws dreams out the window* I'll see you later... in Canada. >.<

Avatar credit to Tejou from Digik Designs
(#910 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

01-14-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajitsu View Post

Er...

Is it true that same-sex marriage is illegal in Japan? If so...

*throws dreams out the window* I'll see you later... in Canada. >.<
I believe Canada is the ONLY country that legalized same sex marriage