Oh well.

Thank you for answering.

Avatar credit to Tejou from Digik Designs
(#912 (permalink))
Old
NishiHime (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-14-2009, 04:11 AM

Nyororin: you are completely fascinating and inspiring! Your story had me riveted! It is a pleasure to meet you

- Nishi

~~Member of JapanForum Royal Clan of Gods & Goddesses~~
http://www.nishimusic.com
Webmistress of UsagiandMamoru.com, MiakaandTamahome.com, MaxLovely.com, PrincessIshtar.com, ArwenandAragorn.com

(#913 (permalink))
Old
xpid (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to xpid Send a message via Skype™ to xpid
01-14-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Just thought I`d volunteer any info that anyone needs...

I live in Japan, not in Tokyo, and have lived here for almost 9 years now. I basically came to Japan with nothing (On my own, not part of any program, not as a teacher, with almost no money, etc) when I was 17, and have been here pretty much ever since.

I`m now married, and *own* a home. I`m willing to answer pretty much any questions about real life in Japan - not the English teacher in Tokyo type stuff... Because that`s only like 0.1% of reality. (Not to offend any of the English teachers in Tokyo or anything though.)

We usually try and help other people who are/were in the same boat as I was when I came to Japan (Bad family life, etc), but last year a girl we let stay with us really screwed us over so we have stopped for the time being. But I really want to help people, so if I can in any way please ask!

(Oh, and I think I mentioned a lot more stuff in my intro in the introductions thread, so...)

I'm willing to do that too...but i'm considering to start off with Britain as my experiment of living and working outside Puerto Rico and the U.S.(Or head straight to Japan)

Formula One is Hong Kong(TVB Pearl-1995 promo for F1 Action '95)
(#914 (permalink))
Old
sshimomichi (Offline)
New to JF

New to this - 01-14-2009, 06:11 AM

Hello everyone my first time posting here.

First of all, I find Nyororin's story very inspiring. I too want to move to Japan. Why? Well... let us say I got bored of the everyday routine I live. Not that I take for granted living in New York, but I just feel that I need a new chapter in my life. I don't really know why but nobody knows what they really want do they?

I do however wonder why everybody considers living in Tokyo a bad place to live? Well, I do understand the commuting and crowds. However, when I went to Tokyo I found it to be thrilling. Thrilling in that my adrenaline was at the max, which felt good... I would like to live in Tokyo, but Kyoto is where it really is. I do hear though that finding a job there is hard, but I would like to hear if anyone had experience in finding a job in Kyoto, or know anything about that.

As for the Japanese language, I currently work at a Japanese conbini in New York where I need to speak Japanese all the time. I have been learning Japanese for 7 years and I have taken the JLPT 1 (waiting for my results). I don't think I am as fluent as a person living in Japan, but I can watch Japanese television and read the Japanese newspaper. Er, not read everything but get the main idea. (Who? What? Where? When? Why? How) So, I just wonder if I would have any luck in living in Japan with my current skills.

As for others questioning how to get fluent/accurate (whatever you call it) before going to Japan... What worked for me is to throw yourself in any Japanese situation. Either socially or electronically. And, I've taught English to Japanese but I also learned Japanese in the process. I would translate every single thing I spoke in English to them in Japanese, and would often write up homework in both languages. Not an easy task, but it was well worth it. Just don't get them mixed up, as I do sometimes....

I mean, I am not in Japan, but I am aiming there. I find English Teaching as a profession fun, but I do want a job that requires only Japanese. I thought of working in the field of Economics or Fashion in Japan though...

This is my first post so nice to meet all of you

BTW What is with the victory sign in Asia? You don't need to answer that
(#915 (permalink))
Old
xpid (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to xpid Send a message via Skype™ to xpid
01-14-2009, 03:38 PM

I'm next for that. my country is a ------------------------------------- which the metropolitan area including San Juan is dangerously unsafe for everyone especially the overstressed. My country is also boring even under the possesion of the United States since 1898

And i also got the Need for Speed on driving there. Driving education is even way too hard than you think, not even Mika Hakkinen could ace these driving tests the country is offering, but in my POV(Point of view), auto racing is my major priority, especially when i tend to live in Akihabara

Formula One is Hong Kong(TVB Pearl-1995 promo for F1 Action '95)
(#916 (permalink))
Old
Onyx (Offline)
JF Regular

01-14-2009, 04:06 PM

very interesting.
(#917 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-14-2009, 11:17 PM

I'm really looking forward to immersing myself in Japan later this year.

I've experienced a lot of stuff in Japan (both good and bad) but this time, I'm thinking of staying for at least a year as I work a variety of jobs and travel from place to place.

I'll probably start off at an Eikaiwa but I'd be open to pretty much anything from a Kyabakura scout to a member of the ski patrol at a mountain resort.

I'm also planning on cycling from the tip of Hokkaido to the southern tip of Kyushu while I'm there. That should be an interesting trip.

Who knows? If I marry a nice girl and find a good job, I might just settle down and never come back.
(#918 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-14-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
I'm really looking forward to immersing myself in Japan later this year.

I've experienced a lot of stuff in Japan (both good and bad) but this time, I'm thinking of staying for at least a year as I work a variety of jobs and travel from place to place.

I'll probably start off at an Eikaiwa but I'd be open to pretty much anything from a Kyabakura scout to a member of the ski patrol at a mountain resort.

I'm also planning on cycling from the tip of Hokkaido to the southern tip of Kyushu while I'm there. That should be an interesting trip.

Who knows? If I marry a nice girl and find a good job, I might just settle down and never come back.
I'm a member of the Tokyo cycling club, and the club organizes or participates in rides throughout the county. You can find info here Tokyo Cycling Club

I would love to cycle the length of the country, but I'm a little too busy to take the time it would require. 17 years ago I cycled across the US, from Jacksonville, Florida to Los Angeles. It was a great experience, I would love to be able to do it here in Japan.
(#919 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-15-2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
I'm a member of the Tokyo cycling club, and the club organizes or participates in rides throughout the county. You can find info here Tokyo Cycling Club

I would love to cycle the length of the country, but I'm a little too busy to take the time it would require. 17 years ago I cycled across the US, from Jacksonville, Florida to Los Angeles. It was a great experience, I would love to be able to do it here in Japan.
That's awesome! Thanks for the info.

I'm actually planning a cross country bicycle tour which starts in June - although mine will go from Vancouver to St.Johns, Newfoundland.

We'll definitely hook up later this year to exchange cycling stories over a few pints.
(#920 (permalink))
Old
bluescorpion1 (Offline)
New to JF

Smile Anyone live in Japan? - 02-04-2009, 06:38 AM

I'm bored right now so I'm just curious as to who lives in Japan like me.
It's nice to make new friends. So anyone live here or in the Asia area.

(@_@)V Chezy