JapanForum.com  


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
MMM's Avatar
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan
 
Posts: 12,201
Join Date: Jun 2007
10-16-2008, 05:14 PM

I think the best advice I ever heard as a young writer was

Write what you know.
Reply With Quote
(#22 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG's Avatar
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station
 
Posts: 1,330
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas
Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
10-16-2008, 05:55 PM

MMM is right. Writing what you know is critical. As I was reading through the thread there were some things that came to mind from my own experience.

1) If you write about what you "think" you know, but haven't experienced (your scenario!) someone who has experienced it will know you are making it up and not necessarily very well. If you are male and still insist on writing about lesbians (please, no) at least find an honest, critical lesbian friend to read and critique your drafts. I would also suggest that you write it as a male character's observation and relationship with the couple, not as one of the women involved. It will be much closer to what you can honestly portray.

2) As for the name of the character(s), you can try what I do. I only write short stories (can't seem to finish the longer 2 projects) and I do not name my characters until it is finished. Just put a number or an initial instead of a name. Then I read the finished work and usually by the time that is done, I have a good feel for the names. Choosing the names are the hardest part for me - always, and this seems to work best.

3) While there is nothing original about a pacifist, vegetarian, goth lesbian, that doen't mean your character can't be original. You just need to flesh her out beyond the labels. Of the many I know who fit those categories, not a one of them is like any other. One is a dear friend, one a sworn enemy, some try my patience, and others are quite fun to hang around with. Make her a person, not a list a lables!


Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
*********************
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
Reply With Quote
(#23 (permalink))
Old
DSX's Avatar
DSX (Offline)
I MUY LOCO!!!!
 
Posts: 327
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Behind you.
10-16-2008, 10:39 PM

Well, I only "labeled" her as a quick summary.

For a male's perspective...I don't know who to have observe them, because they keep it secret.


Reply With Quote
(#24 (permalink))
Old
emiluvsjmusic's Avatar
emiluvsjmusic (Offline)
JF noob
 
Posts: 615
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: tassie
10-17-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX View Post
Well, I only "labeled" her as a quick summary.

For a male's perspective...I don't know who to have observe them, because they keep it secret.
Just a question - is this an actual romance story, like true love kind of thing
or is it one of those yuri stories that guys get turned on by?



Death Note fam & Shingami clan
JF family|Emi's Space|Haruhiism
Reply With Quote
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista's Avatar
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer
 
Posts: 216
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Saitama
10-17-2008, 02:56 PM

Could somebody explain the meaning of the term "yuri" in this context? I wasn't aware of the term.

I think homosexuality is still something of a "love that dare not speak its namae" over here. I've noticed that bookstores in Japan don't seem to carry books or magazines on the gay lifestyle, whereas they're found in any bookstore worth the name back in Canada.

Nonetheless, much has changed. Even 10 years ago, gay people would go to great efforts to conceal their lifestyles. Not the case anymore, at least not in Tokyo.


『辛かった」といえる前に
「辛かったろう」と言ってくれる
Reply With Quote
(#26 (permalink))
Old
DSX's Avatar
DSX (Offline)
I MUY LOCO!!!!
 
Posts: 327
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Behind you.
10-17-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabista View Post
Could somebody explain the meaning of the term "yuri" in this context? I wasn't aware of the term.

I think homosexuality is still something of a "love that dare not speak its namae" over here. I've noticed that bookstores in Japan don't seem to carry books or magazines on the gay lifestyle, whereas they're found in any bookstore worth the name back in Canada.

Nonetheless, much has changed. Even 10 years ago, gay people would go to great efforts to conceal their lifestyles. Not the case anymore, at least not in Tokyo.
Yuri (literature)-Manga and anime depicting lesbian relationships, whether it be romantic or sexual (or both)


Reply With Quote
(#27 (permalink))
Old
DSX's Avatar
DSX (Offline)
I MUY LOCO!!!!
 
Posts: 327
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Behind you.
10-17-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiluvsjmusic View Post
Just a question - is this an actual romance story, like true love kind of thing
or is it one of those yuri stories that guys get turned on by?
Pervs will get turned on by it...

I plan on making this a true love story. I doubt that they'll do it, but if it comes down to it...

Still, for a perspective I don't know who to use...I was going to make two volumes: One for Yuri and one for Otome, because as I've said before, they're eventually split apart for a while.

But, I have very little insight into how lesbians think with the romance...Even with how I'm a romantic person, I can't capture their perspective. I can create a romantic atmosphere, but not the perfect perspective.

Hmm...Any lesbian members on here? PM me if you wanna help with this.


Reply With Quote
(#28 (permalink))
Old
emiluvsjmusic's Avatar
emiluvsjmusic (Offline)
JF noob
 
Posts: 615
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: tassie
10-18-2008, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX View Post
Pervs will get turned on by it...

I plan on making this a true love story. I doubt that they'll do it, but if it comes down to it...

Still, for a perspective I don't know who to use...I was going to make two volumes: One for Yuri and one for Otome, because as I've said before, they're eventually split apart for a while.

But, I have very little insight into how lesbians think with the romance...Even with how I'm a romantic person, I can't capture their perspective. I can create a romantic atmosphere, but not the perfect perspective.

Hmm...Any lesbian members on here? PM me if you wanna help with this.
Ok, well for a romantic book, my advice would be just to write it as you would with a boy and girl thing, what you actually think love is
I wouldn't write it differently just because its two girls



Death Note fam & Shingami clan
JF family|Emi's Space|Haruhiism
Reply With Quote
(#29 (permalink))
Old
MMM's Avatar
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan
 
Posts: 12,201
Join Date: Jun 2007
10-18-2008, 04:05 AM

Or you could make it that they are actually two personalities inside the head of one person.
Reply With Quote
(#30 (permalink))
Old
emiluvsjmusic's Avatar
emiluvsjmusic (Offline)
JF noob
 
Posts: 615
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: tassie
10-18-2008, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Or you could make it that they are actually two personalities inside the head of one person.
????????????



Death Note fam & Shingami clan
JF family|Emi's Space|Haruhiism
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Copyright 2003-2006 Virtual Japan.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC6