LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-09-2008, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
I have come to understand that when a person truly believes and follows a faith/path/religion (however you describe a spiritual connection) it becomes impossible to "keep them to yourself" in an intimate relationship.

One reason is that it is an integral part of your personality, thought process and practices. Even if that path is the absolute absence of belief in a supreme being or any other power beyond the visible and proven it help mold who you are.

To be truly and reliably intimate with another person must not be any barriers. Eventually you have to know in your heart that the other person not only allows, but understands your belief system. They do not have share the practices, but when they don't support needs to be shown in some other way or insecurity creeps in. You have to be able to openly discuss anything.
I see what you're saying... but if I share the same values as my partner, however they believe in God/the supernatural and I don't, I don't see how that should be a major issue.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

05-09-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It's all well and good until you marry and have children. Shockingly, both parents will want the child to follow THEIR faith.
Well I would think the most obvious and rational way to solve that problem would be to simply let the see both points of view and perhaps when they feel ready, the child will be able to make sense of things for themselves. As long as your child is happy then who cares what they believe or don't believe in right?
(#13 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

05-09-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
I see what you're saying... but if I share the same values as my partner, however they believe in God/the supernatural and I don't, I don't see how that should be a major issue.
What if someone believes in religion that is not in a way mainstream.

Let's say like Mormon, Scientology, and Souka Gakkai.

You know the ones that are known for controversies.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Fooflowers (Offline)
ETiD

Send a message via MSN to Fooflowers Send a message via Skype™ to Fooflowers
05-09-2008, 07:30 AM

I would never date any one outside of the jedi religion

/shoot to thrill
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-09-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Well I would think the most obvious and rational way to solve that problem would be to simply let the see both points of view and perhaps when they feel ready, the child will be able to make sense of things for themselves. As long as your child is happy then who cares what they believe or don't believe in right?
That makes perfect sense. The problem is that children start going to church at age 4 or 5...a time they cannot make those kinds of decisions on thier own.

Unfortunately, religious people care EXACTLY what their chidren believe, whether they are happy or not.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

05-09-2008, 08:03 AM

This is a tough question. I think it depends on the situation... for example, me, I'm muslim. I can only marry a women that is of a monotheistic religion, ie, christian, jewish women etc.

So, in some cases, when a religion has a certain rules about marraige, I think it'll be tough... ie.. in islam, the children need to be taught to be muslims... That may be a problem for the other partner etc, but apart from that, inter religious dating/marraige etc isn't that uncommon... In most cases, one of the partners ends up converting, or even if they don't, they bring up a child to have a choice between the religions!!
(#17 (permalink))
Old
DragonShadow (Offline)
New to JF

05-09-2008, 08:14 AM

I dunno if inter-religion dating is controversial, but if you're a devout follower of your religion, it's usually a bad idea.

(#18 (permalink))
Old
Acidreptile (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-09-2008, 09:39 AM

Ronin4Hire due to the materialism that you showed at other posts it was obvious that you was an Atheist.

But anyways I guess that religions is not a problem if one respect the another one religion.But I guess that is too rare to find and too difficult to do tough.

Last edited by Acidreptile : 05-09-2008 at 09:42 AM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

05-09-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidreptile View Post
Ronin4Hire due to the materialism that you showed at other posts it was obvious that you was an Atheist.

But anyways I guess that religions is not a problem if one respect the another one religion.But I guess that is too rare to find and too difficult to do tough.
Yeah I remember you... you said I was materialistic simply because I said that pleasure was important in life. Would you mind as to why you came to that conclusion? Because when I asked in the other thread you never replied.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Acidreptile (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-09-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Yeah I remember you... you said I was materialistic simply because I said that pleasure was important in life. Would you mind as to why you came to that conclusion? Because when I asked in the other thread you never replied.
Since you are an Atheist I don't think that you can understand that.But let's only say that pleasure is senseless.

PS: Don't be offended because that is not my intention.