JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#331 (permalink))
Old
kuronekoaus (Offline)
Resident Rockstar

12-19-2007, 05:22 AM

I don't like anime or manga, and accept that others do. What gets on my nerves, though, is when people go on and on about them with no regard for what I don't want to know about- so I feel that if someone's anime-crazy, it's too much and I don't want to be around that person.

To be honest, I find anime-nuts really annoying, no offence to anyone who is.

(I hope this provided an insight into those who dislike anime/manga)

Too cool for a yellow emoticon

(#332 (permalink))
Old
Retrogamer77 (Offline)
Destati

Send a message via AIM to Retrogamer77
12-19-2007, 06:02 AM

GAAAAAH! That makes me sooo angry when people do that. I spent at least an hour arguing with my mom about how anime and cartoons can be two different things. After making her watch FMA and her not being able to understand a single thing going on she finally got it through her head that anime is more complicated than simple cartoons. It kind of depends on perspective. Me, I refuse to consider pokemon 'anime'. Even though it might be, I personally believe that anime has to have a deeper meaning to it. But all people are not like that. If you're a pokefreak, more power to you! But people who dismiss it without even trying it are just a nuisance. My friend told me that he probably would never read manga because it looked boring. He didn't mean it in a bad way, he's just not used to those things. But I showed him the first volume of Bleach anyway. Two days later, he calls me and tells me that he has every single volume of bleach released in the US! I thought that was absolutely hilarious! Either way, I have friends who like it and friends who don't. But those who don't just accept the fact that I do. We all have different interests. Those others who are so close minded as to put someone down for something that they have an innate interest in is just low. I try not to have to deal with those people. lol.

However, I do love cartoons too! I'm a rabid Disney freak, I love obscure children's movies (Once Upon a forest, The Last Unicorn, The Secret of NIHM), and actual cartoons like Spongebob and Invader Zim. I know a lot of people hate spongebob because the show is ridiculously stupid...that's why I like it though! And Invader Zim is one of the best things to happen to the world.

OBEY THE FIST!!

~Genauso wie du~
(#333 (permalink))
Old
HinataFan3276 (Offline)
My Ninja way

Send a message via Yahoo to HinataFan3276
12-19-2007, 06:05 AM

It really burns me up when someone calls anime and manga childish .
Although i have to say that i havent really had a problem with people saying bad things about it, even though i live on the east coast. Almost my entire family watches it, even my mother . My sister and all of my cousins on my dads side of the family are the ones who got me into it, even at a very young age. My mothers side just calles them cartoons, which makes me irritated. one thing they call it that makes me mad and laugh inside is "u watching those boobie shows again?". I got one of my friends into it not long ago and when he told his mother she told him that they were satanic, which really pissed me off but it also made me laugh really hard inside because of her ignorance. My other friend didnt understand them but he wasnt biassed. I finally got him watching them too and he loves it. He is currently watching Naruto. When we go to wal-mart i usually wear my naruto headband and jacket, to see peoples reaction too it. Its very suprising but after i started too alot of people started coming to wal mart like that too .

"May Anubis make my thighs firm, so i may stand upon them" (Quote from the book of the dead)
(#334 (permalink))
Old
Retrogamer77 (Offline)
Destati

12-19-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinataFan3276 View Post
When we go to wal-mart i usually wear my naruto headband and jacket, to see peoples reaction too it. Its very suprising but after i started too alot of people started coming to wal mart like that too .
I don't like Naruto, but I think that that, *points up*,is the most amazing thing ever! XD

~Genauso wie du~
(#335 (permalink))
Old
LawlietsGirl (Offline)
JF Regular

i know how you feel - 12-19-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNard View Post
Gaah, damnit im getting real pissed off with people who look down on Asia(Japan) and it's cultures -.-"

Why cant they understand that not everything in Asia has to do with Chinese and that anime isn't just some low-class cartoons?
What exactly are they discriminating against? Why do they feel that ainime/manga are just for little kids and arent able to accept the fact that they aren't age restricted in any way, and can be seen/read by older viewers? Why don't they know that the art and profundity of anime cannot be compared to a barren and monotonous reality? 1/4 of the world population on earth watch anime/manga. Japan is one of the most powerful countries in the world and possibly only second against the US.

Was it the right move to make a thread regarding a sensitive issue? Will it spark off tension, havoc and internal wars? I don't know anymore.. Z_Z
practically everyone at my school/in my town are so narrow-minded they think china is the exact same thing as japan, which irritates me even more. a few of my friends and i started a japanese culture club and we're automatically the weirdest kids in the school. needless to say, the club is small and open to all at the school, but it's still going regardless.
my mom thinks that the anime are only for little kids for some reason, but i know a few adults that watch the shows too. she tells me those people are bad influences, but i think she's just jealous because i actually have friends. XD
another thing, i personally think japan is a much cooler place than the us. i'm so sick of everyone saying "oh, america's so great because we're the shit," but the reality is that they couldn't be any further away from the truth than that. the us is a bunch of lies, and i can't wait until graduation. i'm gonna get a couple of friends together and we're gonna try to move to japan after our graduation. i'm sick of the narrow-mindedness of the people here in america. i applaud you for this thread. ^-^
(#336 (permalink))
Old
tobi13 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to tobi13
12-20-2007, 04:52 AM

I have to say lucky me! I live in a country town of only about 2,000 people and nobody really cares about anime and manga. If you don't LOVE sport you don't fit in! Simple...which also ends up being quite a few people
Anyway I don't hear too much discrimination, directly anyway. But it really annoys me when my grandmother stereotypes all asian people as deceitful lying freaks...well she doesn't say it exactly, but I know she thinks it.
My mum went to Japan when she was younger and she knows that anime and manga isn't just for kids and isn't just cartoons. My dad has embraced anime fairly well too. Ghost in the Shell series(one of the many he's seen) amazed him with the quality of graphics
My brother introduced me to anime many moons ago. So yeah, again, lucky me!

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes Your effort to remain what you are is what limits you. Ghost In The Shell
(#337 (permalink))
Old
NightChilde25 (Offline)
In my own little world

Send a message via AIM to NightChilde25 Send a message via Yahoo to NightChilde25
01-08-2008, 05:39 PM

I know what you mean. It makes me so mad. I hate football, but I don't put people down who play or enjoy watching it. That's all I ask. You don't have to like it, but don't put it or me down just because I do. Show a little respect. When I tell people I'm interested in the Japanese culture I get what I've dubbed "the look." I'm one of the very few people (honestly I think I'm the only person) who watch and draw anime and read manga in my city. From the reactions I get you would think it's the plauge! It's not like I'm constantly talking about it either. I have been sitting in a doctor's office reading manga and someone will almost always ask me "Aren't comic books for children?" When I try to explain they look at me like I need to be in a home. Anime is even worse. My mother is constantly asking me when I'm going to grow up and put childish things behind me. Grrr....I'm about to be 27!

I've tried to show her. I even got her to watch Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle (The ONLY ones she WOULD watch. I tried to get her to watch FMA but no, she wouldn't do it.) and she just says they're nice little cartoons and I need to grow up and be the adult I am. My best friend makes fun of me all the time. I do have to give her credit for giving me loads of anime for Christmas, though. Most people just make fun of me. I've learned to live with it and not care what others think. If it makes me happy, so what.

A few years back I was lucky enough to have made friends with a couple who were (and still are) very much into anime, manga, and the Japanese culture. They introduced me to another friend then to two more and now our "anime club" just keeps growing. (There were three carloads that went to mtac with us) We have anime parties and go to a few conventions throughout the year. As much as it is a pain to have people make fun of you and what you love, having the company of like minded people makes it all worth while.
(#338 (permalink))
Old
flein1337 (Offline)
JF Regular

01-08-2008, 06:10 PM

try saying "yeah at least i got a hoby, what do u do for fun, walk around outside in the cold and try 2 come up with something 2 do and claim its social?" works when my friends bother me when im bussy watching anime or playing wow or conqueronline, shuts em up for a while =)

its not that bad in my town tho, but if some1 talks shit about me for watching "pokemon" as most ppls call anime here, i'll kick their ass without a second though then look them in the face and say "charizard just wooped ur ass"
(#339 (permalink))
Old
Retrogamer77 (Offline)
Destati

01-10-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flein1337 View Post
its not that bad in my town tho, but if some1 talks shit about me for watching "pokemon" as most ppls call anime here, i'll kick their ass without a second though then look them in the face and say "charizard just wooped ur ass"
That...is awesome logic...

~Genauso wie du~
(#340 (permalink))
Old
devils (Offline)
~Clairvoyant in training~

Send a message via MSN to devils
01-10-2008, 04:55 PM

I can't stand when people do this. Even people who are close to me think its stupid and don't understand, and sometimes say comments that are a bit insulting to me It's ridiculous that people can't realize that we're not all the same, we all won't like the same things, and if you have an opinion about something fine, but don't try to be insulting about it. That doesn't work. (sorry - my friend has been doing this, not just about anime/manga too!).