(#921 (permalink))
Old
MuRaSaKiiNkI (Offline)
一番村ちゃん

Send a message via Skype™ to MuRaSaKiiNkI
10-01-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
...Hitler (and his army/politics) moved INTO poland. Tesco is moving INTO the Japanese market. But I simply moved TO Japan.
I'm graduating with a BA in English and Writing (also a native English speaker), and I agree with Columbine on this one--"into" is used for large entities, sort of taking over a certain perimeter, like a country. Moving "into" something is similar, in Hitler's case, to "invading" something. "To" is used for singular people or small groups who are just relocating without much ado. :P sorry to butt in!
(#922 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-01-2010, 11:12 PM

LOL how technical all this is becoming. I wonder how I have survived all these years without your grammatical know-how? You are getting way too technical for me.

It is many years since I left school-------------There is so much emphasis on teaching grammar for foreign students.

When I see the Cambridge text books for EFL I think they are terribly confusing.

So much nit picking. enjoy yourselves folks correcting this poor old lady.

If you look at the original section--- Yuri had placed the word "IN," inappropriately-- when I saw that, I instantly thought she meant TO or INTO. What is all this nit picking with both words? I went into the shop I went to the shop/s I went to live in Japan I travelled into the interior. I entered the house, I emerged from the house. I went to Brighton, I went into Brighton.

Ah this was the section: ( About trash. I think the ways of collection of garbage are dependENT on the country. You might agree with me that you should observe the local rules when you move in a foreign country. ----yuri put "IN" I changed it to TO-- now I realise my" /" was in the wrong place. So jambo was correct about that after all. (sorry Jambo) I misunderstood-- But I still think TO or INTO are perfectly okay. so here endeth this part of the lesson.

I love this poem by Yeats: Isn't it sublime? wonder if he was criticised for all those "ANDS"

I WENT out to the hazel wood,
Because a fire was in my head,
And cut and peeled a hazel wand,
And hooked a berry to a thread;
And when white moths were on the wing, 5
And moth-like stars were flickering out,
I dropped the berry in a stream
And caught a little silver trout.

When I had laid it on the floor
I went to blow the fire a-flame, 10
But something rustled on the floor,
And someone called me by my name:
It had become a glimmering girl
With apple blossom in her hair
Who called me by my name and ran 15
And faded through the brightening air.

Though I am old with wandering
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone,
And kiss her lips and take her hands; 20
And walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done,
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.

Have fun don't be glum.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 10-01-2010 at 11:31 PM.
(#923 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-01-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuRaSaKiiNkI View Post
I'm graduating with a BA in English and Writing (also a native English speaker), and I agree with Columbine on this one--"into" is used for large entities, sort of taking over a certain perimeter, like a country. Moving "into" something is similar, in Hitler's case, to "invading" something. "To" is used for singular people or small groups who are just relocating without much ado. :P sorry to butt in!
good luck with your B.A. what do you intend to do with it?
(#924 (permalink))
Old
ColinHowell (Offline)
JF Regular

10-01-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
So much nit picking. enjoy yourselves folks correcting this poor old lady.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm about to correct the correctors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuRaSaKiiNkI View Post
While I agree with Columbine and MuRaSaKiiNkI about the use of "to" vs. "into" in this case, I'm not sure their rationale is correct. I think the key difference here is not the size of the group, but the nature of the move: whether it is a total and complete relocation or just an expansion into new ground.

When a person moves to a new home, the person is completely relocating himself.

When a group or organization moves into a territory, it is not completely relocating itself; it is simply expanding into territory it didn't occupy before.

But it is also possible for a large group or organization to completely and permanently relocate itself. In that case, I think you would use "to", not "into". Since such actions don't happen as often, it's harder to think of examples, but they do exist: for example "the Japanese government moved to Tokyo".
(#925 (permalink))
Old
ColinHowell (Offline)
JF Regular

10-01-2010, 11:37 PM

Oh, dogsbody70, I just read that poem by Yeats you posted. Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.
(#926 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-01-2010, 11:40 PM

LOL this is fun indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOw many people write "TO" when they mean TOO. Or There when they mean They're? etc etc.

I was going to eat my lunch but it was too cold.

night, folks have a great weekend.
(#927 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-01-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinHowell View Post
Oh, dogsbody70, I just read that poem by Yeats you posted. Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.
HI Colin, I am very fond of Yeats.

that poem has to be read aloud beautifully. In fact all poetry needs to be read or heard aloud rather than on the page, don' t you think?
(#928 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-01-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:

While I agree with Columbine and MuRaSaKiiNkI about the use of "to" vs. "into" in this case, I'm not sure their rationale is correct. I think the key difference here is not the size of the group, but the nature of the move: whether it is a total and complete relocation or just an expansion into new ground.

When a group or organization moves into a territory, it is not completely relocating itself; it is simply expanding into territory it didn't occupy before.

But it is also possible for a large group or organization to completely and permanently relocate itself. In that case, I think you would use "to", not "into". Since such actions don't happen as often, it's harder to think of examples, but they do exist: for example "the Japanese government moved to Tokyo".
Mm, well I moved into my new house and out of my previous home.
(#929 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

10-02-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Mm, that's what I was trying to get across; that a move INTO somewhere is more continuous than a move TO somewhere. Which is why "He goes into the room" and "He goes to the room" actually have different meanings. In the second he might not have actually entered the room yet, and gives the nuance that he's stationary by the end of the sentence.
(#930 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
10-02-2010, 10:56 AM

How can people have a long, drawn-out argument about the difference between 'into' & 'to'? I'm sure it's very pleasing to Yuri to have to go through screeds & screeds of posts, just to see whats right.

@Yuri - When you move 'to' a country, it implies a person is going to a different country. An example is me: "I want to move to Japan." The 'to' in red, is the one that shows the action of moving. If you move 'into' a country, it implies moving into the country by force. Example: "Adolf Hitler moved into Poland". And if you move in a country, it suggests you are moving around in the same country. Example: "I moved in Japan, from Nagoya to Akita."

Hopefully, this helps you find the word you were looking for. And while the guys above aren't wrong, I sense a feeling they are trying to out-do each other. lol

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)

Last edited by JamboP26 : 10-02-2010 at 11:33 AM.