JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#951 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-03-2010, 11:35 AM

sorry folks but I still think that in the context of the sentence Yuri had written--------(-

(You might agree with me that you should observe the local rules when you move in a foreign country.-) that there is nothing wrong with saying move into a foreign country. after all you move to a country-- you are moving into that country.

Anyway I'll shut up now. Babs.
(#952 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

10-03-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I apologise for misunderstandings. It was actually the OBLIQUE sign that should have been in/TO. I misunderstood Jambo's correction.
Hi.
I just wanted what the “/” mean.
My line of questioning may have been obscure. I’m sorry!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#953 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-03-2010, 12:46 PM

alls well that ends well Yuri. sorry to cause chaos and confusion.

what I referred to as an oblique sign is apparently a "SLASH" sign, either forward slash / or backward \ slash. Possibly when I used that sign I was trying to separate the two words-- In and TO--

this site explains in more detail--------------http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash_(punctuation)

when I used the slash I was adding "To"
to your word "in" because I felt that in the context in which you wrote IN" I felt it should be TO or INTO--- Hence the long going battle between some of us.

I do find that when I aim to put in corrections that I find it tricky to do so at times.

So very sorry for all the confusion I have caused.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 10-03-2010 at 12:55 PM.
(#954 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

10-11-2010, 01:17 AM

Hi.
Could someone correct my English?

Nightmare

This is what I dreamed in the past week.
About one week ago, I bought a lot of herrings while I slept. I mean it’s just a dream.
There are too many herrings that I wasn’t feeling like cook them.
After that the herrings appeared in my dream every night. I knew I should hurry up, or the fish would go rotten, but I didn’t. You know, you might have experienced that pulling off the tough tasks which you should do soon, right? For example; preparing for examination in school or cleaning the fan in the kitchen. When you lay aside tough things to do, you feel uncomfortable, don’t you?
I have been feeling uneasy in the past week without knowing why I feel so.
This morning I finally picked up one of the herrings. That was rotten.
I put many rotten herrings into a plastic bag. Fortunately, the last one was safe!
I sliced the fish and baked it with potato in my dream.
This is how my nightmare finished.

Thank you!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
(#955 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

10-11-2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi.
Could someone correct my English?

Nightmare

This is what I dreamt in the past week.
About one week ago, I bought a lot of herrings in my dream. There were too many herrings, and I didn't feel like cooking them.
After that, the herrings appeared in my dream every night. I knew I should hurry up or the fish would get rotten, but I didn’t. You know the feeling that you should finish a difficult task before it's too late, right? For example; preparing for an examination in school or cleaning the fan in the kitchen. When you postpone tough things to do, you feel uncomfortable, don’t you?
I have been feeling uneasy in the past week without knowing why I felt that way.
This morning I finally picked up one of the herrings. It was rotten.
I put many rotten herrings into a plastic bag. Fortunately, the last one was safe!
I sliced the fish and baked it with potato in my dream.
This is how my nightmare finished.

Thank you!
Very interesting dream, Yuri. I don't think I've had a consistent dream like that myself, at least not yet.

Most of the revisions were to change particles or verb tenses. Two major revisions were made to convey the concepts clearer with what admittedly may be sayings instead of structured phrases.

Example:

"the feeling that you should finish a difficult task before it's too late"

Early in the post, two sentences were merged to clearly describe the events in your dream.

"About one week ago, I bought a lot of herrings while I slept. I mean it’s just a dream."

was changed to

"About one week ago, I bought a lot of herrings in my dream."

Of course, if greater emphasis needs to be put on the idea this was a dream and not an actual real world event, the sentence should stand as it was originally written.

However, the original sentences makes it seem you bought the fish while sleepwalking. I'm thinking that isn't the right image for the event.

And now, tomorrow I think I'll clean my fans. Have a great day, Yuri! Hope my revisions are of some use.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#956 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
10-11-2010, 10:00 AM

Just thought I'd further pick up on a few points I feel Koir missed.

Line 1 - 'This is what I dreamt in the past week' should perhaps be 'This is what I had dreamt in the past week'.

Line 2 - 'I bought a lot of herrings in my dream' should maybe be 'I had bought a lot of herrings in my dream'.

Line 4 - I feel you were right to say the 'fish would go rotten'. You could alternatively use 'the fish would become rotten'. Or 'the fish would rot' can also work in there.

Line 5 - I believe the phrase is 'putting off tasks', not 'pulling off...'

I think that just about covers it

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#957 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

10-12-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Very interesting dream, Yuri. I don't think I've had a consistent dream like that myself, at least not yet.
Hi, Koir.
Thanks!

Really!? I have had several consistent dreams.

Quote:
However, the original sentences makes it seem you bought the fish while sleepwalking. I'm thinking that isn't the right image for the event.
No, I’m not a sleepwalker!!
Thank you! If you hadn’t corrected, my post was a story of sleepwalking… I didn’t intend it…

Quote:
And now, tomorrow I think I'll clean my fans. Have a great day, Yuri! Hope my revisions are of some use.
Have you cleaned your fans?
Your revisions are always great help.

I YamaP
(#958 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

10-12-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post
Just thought I'd further pick up on a few points I feel Koir missed.

----

I think that just about covers it
Jambo, thank you!
Writing English without making mistakes seems to be almost impossible to me.

I YamaP
(#959 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

10-12-2010, 06:53 PM

1. This is what I dreamed in the past week.
-> This is what I have been dreaming of in the past week.
You can use either 'dreamed' OR 'dreamt'. BOTH are perfectly correct. It's just a difference in style. Same with 'leaned' and 'learnt'.
The tense is tense is present perfect continuous. You are looking back on the week from the present and the nuance is that the ~dreaming has now stopped~ but ~it might continue~. This is important as you said 'nightmare finished' at the end. It's over, right? So you have to use the present perfect continuous.

2. About one week ago, I bought a lot of herrings while I slept. I mean it’s just a dream.

->About one week ago, I bought a lot of herrings in a dream.

You can use 'my' here, and it's correct, but most native speakers wouldn't. We already know it's your dream and the emphasis is on the herrings, not whose dream it is, so there's no need. If you did want to use 'my', try and put it at the start of the sentence; "In my dream last week, I bought a lot of herrings".

@Jambo; you can't really use 'had' here without moving straight onto the next event in the dream. It's just how the past perfect simple works. For the purpose of narration, past simple works much better. Don't worry, lots of people get in a muddle over this.

3. There are too many herrings that I wasn’t feeling like cook them.
A-> I bought too many herrings, so I didn't feel like cooking them.
B-> I bought so many herrings that I didn't feel like cooking them.

In this case, you need a conjunctive. The meaning is that you didn't want to cook, ~BECAUSE~ you bought too many herrings, right? You can't replace 'because' with 'that'. You need a word with the same meaning. 'to feel like Xing' is a set phrase, so I've corrected the tenses here. We do sometimes say 'feeling like X', but X in this case is usually a noun. It is also 'did' in this case. Imagine the question; 'did you feel like cooking?'. You can't say 'was you feel like cooking?'.

4. After that the herrings appeared in my dreams every night.
You slept more than once, so more than one dream, so plural here.

5. I knew I should hurry up, or the fish would go rotten, but I didn’t.
perfect! 'to go rotten' is a phrasal verb. It's fine.

6. You know, you might have experienced that pulling off the tough tasks which you should do soon, right?
->You probably know the feeling that you should finish a difficult task before it's too late, right?

This is Koir's correction, and I really like it. I've added 'probably' just to fit it back with the 'might' you used, after all, we don't -know- if everyone's felt like that. Maybe they haven't!

7. For example; preparing for examination in school or cleaning the fan in the kitchen. When you lay aside tough things to do, you feel uncomfortable, don’t you?

->For example; preparing for an examination in school or cleaning the fan in the kitchen. When you postpone tough things to do, you feel uncomfortable, don’t you?

Koir's again. You could also use 'put aside' instead of 'postpone' if you want to be less formal.

8. I have been feeling uneasy in the past week without knowing why I feel so.

-> I have been feeling uneasy over the past week without knowing why.

'over' means 'during' here, and it's better to use this than in. It's one of those word collocation issues that have no real explanation. You can make life easier for yourself by just dropping the second 'feel'. You've already said the word once, we can tell what you mean, but Koir's 'i felt so' is good as you don't feel uneasy now, right!

9. This morning I finally picked up one of the herrings. That was rotten.

-> This morning I dreamed I finally picked up one of the herrings. It was rotten.

Here you DO need to say it's in a dream. You've just been talking about feeling uneasy when you were awake, so we need to make sure we know you're talking about things that haven't really happened.

10. I put many rotten herrings into a plastic bag. Fortunately, the last one was safe!
this is fine

11. I sliced the fish and baked it with potato in my dream.
excellent!

12. This is how my nightmares finished.
This is fine aside from the plural. Often in stories we use 'this is' and 'that is' in certain ways. Look at this:

This is a story about a cat.-> this= whatever follows

(CAT!)

And that's the story about the cat! that= whatever came before

so if you wanted it to sound really story-like, you could say "And that's how my nightmares ended."
(#960 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

10-14-2010, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
1. This is what I dreamed in the past week.
-> This is what I have been dreaming of in the past week.
You can use either 'dreamed' OR 'dreamt'. BOTH are perfectly correct. It's just a difference in style. Same with 'leaned' and 'learnt'.
The tense is tense is present perfect continuous. You are looking back on the week from the present and the nuance is that the ~dreaming has now stopped~ but ~it might continue~. This is important as you said 'nightmare finished' at the end. It's over, right? So you have to use the present perfect continuous.
Hi. Columbine.
Thank you for explaining in detail.

The nightmare is over. I will use the present perfect.

Quote:
2. About one week ago, I bought a lot of herrings while I slept. I mean it’s just a dream.

->About one week ago, I bought a lot of herrings [color="red"]in a dream.

You can use 'my' here, and it's correct, but most native speakers wouldn't. We already know it's your dream and the emphasis is on the herrings, not whose dream it is, so there's no need. If you did want to use 'my', try and put it at the start of the sentence; "In my dream last week, I bought a lot of herrings".
This is helpful information. No text book doesn’t explain like this.

Quote:
3. There are too many herrings that I wasn’t feeling like cook them.
A-> I bought too many herrings, so I didn't feel like cooking them.
B-> I bought so many herrings that I didn't feel like cooking them.

In this case, you need a conjunctive. The meaning is that you didn't want to cook, ~BECAUSE~ you bought too many herrings, right? You can't replace 'because' with 'that'. You need a word with the same meaning. 'to feel like Xing' is a set phrase, so I've corrected the tenses here. We do sometimes say 'feeling like X', but X in this case is usually a noun. It is also 'did' in this case. Imagine the question; 'did you feel like cooking?'. You can't say 'was you feel like cooking?'.
I see.
I seem to need do a lot of studying.

Quote:
dreams every night.
You slept more than once, so more than one dream, so plural here.
Should I change the title to “Nightmares”?

Quote:
5. I knew I should hurry up, or the fish would go rotten, but I didn’t.
perfect! 'to go rotten' is a phrasal verb. It's fine.
Whoof!

Quote:
6. You know, you might have experienced that pulling off the tough tasks which you should do soon, right?
->You probably know the feeling that you should finish a difficult task before it's too late, right?

This is Koir's correction, and I really like it. I've added 'probably' just to fit it back with the 'might' you used, after all, we don't -know- if everyone's felt like that. Maybe they haven't!
OK. The English language is really tough!

Quote:
7. For example; preparing for examination in school or cleaning the fan in the kitchen. When you lay aside tough things to do, you feel uncomfortable, don’t you?

->For example; preparing for an examination in school or cleaning the fan in the kitchen. When you postpone tough things to do, you feel uncomfortable, don’t you?

Koir's again. You could also use 'put aside' instead of 'postpone' if you want to be less formal.
‘put asid' is more formal than ‘postpone’, OK.

Quote:
8. I have been feeling uneasy in the past week without knowing why I feel so.

-> I have been feeling uneasy over the past week without knowing why.

'over' means 'during' here, and it's better to use this than in. It's one of those word collocation issues that have no real explanation. You can make life easier for yourself by just dropping the second 'feel'. You've already said the word once, we can tell what you mean, but Koir's 'i felt so' is good as you don't feel uneasy now, right!
I see. I won’t use the same words in a sentence.

Quote:
9. This morning I finally picked up one of the herrings. That was rotten.

-> This morning I dreamed I finally picked up one of the herrings. It was rotten.

Here you DO need to say it's in a dream. You've just been talking about feeling uneasy when you were awake, so we need to make sure we know you're talking about things that haven't really happened.
I see.
When speaking in Japanese, we drop many words; so we have a lot of troubles when speaking in theoretical English.
I’ll try harder … ""^_^""

Quote:
10. I put many rotten herrings into a plastic bag. Fortunately, the last one was safe!
this is fine Thanks.

11. I sliced the fish and baked it with potato in my dream.
excellent!
Quote:
12. This is how my nightmares finished.
This is fine aside from the plural. Often in stories we use 'this is' and 'that is' in certain ways. Look at this:

This is a story about a cat.-> this= whatever follows

(CAT!)

And that's the story about the cat! that= whatever came before

so if you wanted it to sound really story-like, you could say "And that's how my nightmares ended."
That sounds really cool!

I will change the title to “Nightmares”.

Columbine, thanks again!! \(^_^)/

I YamaP

Last edited by YuriTokoro : 10-14-2010 at 02:56 AM.