LinkBack Thread Tools
(#81 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-24-2011, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post

Unfortunately we get some crazy people who when let loose with a gun-- do crazy things-- we have had mad gunmen here in UK too-- shooting children in school or shooting people at random.
I was frightened by the news.
Again, the beastly history repeated itself.
Worse than beasts!

I feel the deep sorrow, and I would like to offer my condolence to the victims' family and Norwegian people.
I wish for world peace!

Last edited by Supperman : 07-24-2011 at 04:16 AM.
(#82 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

The deep snow road - 07-24-2011, 04:26 AM

http://hatsuratsu-club.com/images/im...612tabi_i1.jpg

A tour bus is coming toward the camera on the road which is covered with snow, and both side of the road, there are cliffs of piling snow whose height is about 5-6 meters.
The cliffs are almost vertical, ninety degrees!

In other words, this place is very deeply piled with snow, whose height is about 5-6 meters, and they've shoveled out 5-6 meters deep to arrange the road.

I don't think I described it well.
I wonder how to describe this photo?

Last edited by Supperman : 07-24-2011 at 04:29 AM.
(#83 (permalink))
Old
Kuuzoku (Offline)
New to JF

07-24-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperman View Post
http://hatsuratsu-club.com/images/im...612tabi_i1.jpg

A tour bus is coming toward the camera on the road which is covered with snow, and ON both sideS of the road, there are cliffs of piling snow whose height is about 5-6 meters.
The cliffs are almost vertical, ninety degrees!

In other words, this place is very deeply piled with snow, whose height is about 5-6 meters, and they've shoveled out 5-6 meters deep to arrange the road.

I don't think I described it well.
I wonder how to describe this photo?
My take on it: (Pretty much the same idea)

A bus is driving on a twisty, two-way, snow plowed road in which the snow is piled to the side dangerously high. It must be at least 30 feet high in relation to the bus.
(#84 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-24-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperman View Post
I was frightened by the news.
Again, the beastly history repeated itself.
Worse than beasts!

I feel the deep sorrow, and I would like to offer my condolence to the victims' family and Norwegian people.
I wish for world peace!
Hi Supperman, Oh what tragic news about the madman in Norway. It is hard to understand. He must have planned well in advance. It is indeed a sick world.
(#85 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-24-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuuzoku View Post
My take on it: (Pretty much the same idea)

A bus is driving on a twisty, two-way, snow plowed road in which the snow is piled to the side dangerously high. It must be at least 30 feet high in relation to the bus.

I am intrigued by that photograph. I wonder where it was taken?

Is the snow simply piled high or is it ICE? Is it cliffs that are covered by snow and ice?

It is vertical-- so surely snow alone would not be piled that high--Or would it?

If snow were piled high would it not be sloping so that the snow would not collapse on to the road.?

Is it like a glacier? I personally am very ignorant of those situations. Which country would this be?

It must be in a mountainous region musn't it it?
(#86 (permalink))
Old
Kuuzoku (Offline)
New to JF

07-24-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I am intrigued by that photograph. I wonder where it was taken?

Is the snow simply piled high or is it ICE? Is it cliffs that are covered by snow and ice?

It is vertical-- so surely snow alone would not be piled that high--Or would it?

If snow were piled high would it not be sloping so that the snow would not collapse on to the road.?

Is it like a glacier? I personally am very ignorant of those situations. Which country would this be?

It must be in a mountainous region musn't it it?
I thought the same thing for a moment. I don't think I have seen snow piled up that high. But then again, it looked too smooth to be cliffs or rocks. No doubt it is has hardened to a fairly high degree or else it probably would have fallen. The ice wall texture almost looks like the frost build-up on a old freezer. I'm curious as well to where it was taken.

Last edited by Kuuzoku : 07-24-2011 at 10:46 AM.
(#87 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-24-2011, 12:42 PM

都道府県クイズ! Prefecture Quiz!

Hi.
Thank you for your replies.
The photo was taken in Japan, because masaegu said so.
The precise location will be shown by him in the thread.

I haven't seen those snows myself yet, though I've known that scene by photos.

And,
I'll check the English sentences you provided me from now on.
Thank you.

Last edited by Supperman : 07-24-2011 at 12:46 PM.
(#88 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-24-2011, 01:24 PM

Hi again Supperman and thanks for allowing us to see Maesugu's photographs. Many are really stunning and unusual.
(#89 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-24-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuuzoku View Post
I thought the same thing for a moment. I don't think I have seen snow piled up that high. But then again, it looked too smooth to be cliffs or rocks. No doubt it is has hardened to a fairly high degree or else it probably would have fallen. The ice wall texture almost looks like the frost build-up on a old freezer. I'm curious as well to where it was taken.
One other thought is: Are there some extremely High Walls that are now covered in snow and ice.

I live near a beach with cliffs, The cliffs are very light and High. It would be interesting to discover more of this phenomenon

here are some more snow photographs

Snow Japan - Japan Snow Gallery - "Snowy Japan" - Record snowfall in Japan - Winter 2005/6

I notice this one shows how the snow is cleared and dispersed onto the top by the snow machine. sorry I do not know the correct name.

It reminds me of a threshing machine that separates the grain from wheat and the tube that then throws it into another carrier.

In the original photo posted I just could not imagine how the snow was so very High. Perhaps the machine levels it off.

Here in UK we are unaccustomed to much snow so forgive my ignorance

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 07-24-2011 at 01:50 PM.
(#90 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

The cafe above the clouds - 07-26-2011, 08:10 AM

http://image.space.rakuten.co.jp/lg0...a7azik4zj.jpeg

Hi.

This is a photo of a cafe above the clouds.
There are people sitting on white plastic chairs at white tables on the wooden deck of the cafe.

One waiter is standing at a table and taking their orders.

The most attracting point is that the deck is on the clouds, which look like white sea. On the background, there is a mountain top which looks like an island on the white sea.

The sky is blue and it is quite sunny day.

There are other higher clouds in the sky.

In Japanese, the clouds which look like white sea are called "Unkai (=the sea of the clouds)", which is a very strange and beautiful natural phenomena in a certain location, in a certain condition of weather.

I wonder if it should be cold, though the people's clothes tell me that the temperature is not so low.

edit) I corrected the photo's location, because it was wrong, and was invisible.

Last edited by Supperman : 07-26-2011 at 12:38 PM.