07-26-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuuzoku View Post
Actually, "Fix" is proper here.

"The links are broken. Please fix them."
Thanks. I've got it.
And I've fixed the link.

@wolfrainvn;
Please feel free to post your description, when you have time.

I think Vietnam is the only one who has won the war against the USA, in human history. (Sorry. Forget about it. Political issues should not be proper here.)
OK,
I don't know Vietnam, very much. What I remember about Vietnam right now is.... well, that I saw the movie "Apocalypse now" by Francis Coppola, in 1979, when I was young, and I didn't know English very much. In that movie, a USA solder encountered a wild tiger in the forest. He got panic and exclaimed, "F**king tiger!, F**king tiger!" and ran away.
So I had remembered that "f**king" is some kind of adjective which modifies a tiger. ..... for a long time.

edit) Hey! The previous kuuzoku's post was the 100th.

Last edited by Supperman : 07-26-2011 at 11:27 PM.
(#102 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-27-2011, 03:06 AM

Thank you, dogsbody70.

The most attracting point is .... (wrong)
The most attractive point is .....(correct)

The most attracting ATTRACTIVE point is that the deck is on the clouds, which lookS like white sea. On IN the background, there is a mountain top which looks like an island on the white sea.

Hi. I don't understand the underlined part's "look/looks" choice.
I think "look" is correct.

the clouds, which look like white sea.

the clouds (plural)
which (plural)
white sea (singular)

I think "which" is plural because it is the alternative of "the clouds".
So I think "which look like" is correct.

it is quite a sunny day (correct)
it is a quite sunny day (wrong)

There are other higher clouds in the sky.(wrong)
There are other clouds higher in the sky. (Correct)
(#103 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

No.15 Okinawa beach - 07-27-2011, 03:30 AM

No.15 Okinawa beach
http://okinawa.from.tv/images/hp-kan...isure3003a.jpg

This is a beautiful scene of an Okinawa beach. The color of the sea is very unique and beautiful. I've gone to Okinawa, Guam and Hawaii, yet I think Okinawa sea coast it the best, when I talk about the color of them.

The color of sea is just the ordinary color at Guam or Hawaii. Yet, Okinawa's sea color is quite different.

I think of why.
When a sea is deep enough, the color is the same. It is mainly the reflection of the sky. When the sky is blue, the sea is marine blue (deeper blue), because the deeper portion of the sea is black, so the sea's color must be deeper than the sky's.

When the sky is cloudy, the sea becomes gray too.
When the sky is black (at night), the sea becomes black too.

Yet, things becomes different when it comes to beach coast.
The color of a sea is the combination of the sea color and the sand's color.
Under ordinary circumstances, the color of sand is yellowish, so the color of the beach coast becomes "green" color.
To the contrary, Okinawa's sand is whitish, and a little yellowish, and the sea color becomes very light blue and green color.

I don't know why the Okinawa's sand color is so white.
Probably the coral species are different from other places.

Going back to the photo description;
In the background, there is a large hotel, which is probably Manza hotel, which is a very famous hotel. So the beach is Manza beach, I assume.

There are people enjoying marine activities.

Last edited by Supperman : 07-27-2011 at 03:33 AM.
(#104 (permalink))
Old
Kuuzoku (Offline)
New to JF

07-27-2011, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperman View Post
No.15 Okinawa beach
http://okinawa.from.tv/images/hp-kan...isure3003a.jpg

This is a beautiful scene of an Okinawa beach. The color of the sea is very unique and beautiful. I've gone to Okinawa, Guam and Hawaii, yet I think THE Okinawa sea coast it IS the best, when I talk about the color of them. (A little more natural way to say this is "...yet I think the Okinawa sea coast is the best in regards to color.)The color of THE sea is just the AN ordinary color at IN Guam or Hawaii. Yet, Okinawa's sea color is quite different.

I think of why.
When a sea is deep enough, the color is the same. It is mainly the reflection of the sky. When the sky is blue, the sea is marine blue (deeper blue), because the deeper portion of the sea is black, so the sea's color must be deeper than the sky's.

When the sky is cloudy, the sea becomes gray too.
When the sky is black (at night), the sea becomes black too.

Yet, things becomes different when it comes to A beach coast. The color of a sea is the combination of the sea color and the sand's color. Under ordinary circumstances, the color of sand is yellowish, so the color of the beach coast becomes "green" color. To the contrary, Okinawa's sand is whitish, and a little yellowish, and the sea color becomes A very light blue and green color.

I don't know why THE Okinawa's sand color is so white. Probably the coral species are different from other places.

Going back to the photo description;
In the background, there is a large hotel, which is probably Manza hotel, which is a very famous hotel. So the beach is Manza beach, I assume.

There are people enjoying marine activities.
Nice description, Supperman. The water in this pic reminded me a little of the Florida Keys. Both are very clear. Oh yeah, just in case my coloring code confuses you, red=delete, green=add.

Native English speaker currently learning Japanese. (日本語を勉強しているネイティブ)

Last edited by Kuuzoku : 07-27-2011 at 04:53 AM.
(#105 (permalink))
Old
Lonthego (Offline)
JF Regular

07-27-2011, 05:04 AM

Supperman

Just a few corrections.

"I think Okinawa sea coast is the best, when I talk about the color of them"

Instead of "When I talk about the color of them" it sounds more natural to say "in terms of color" or "when it comes to color"

For example "I think the sea coast of Okinawa is the best in terms of color" or "I think the sea coast of Okinawa is the best when it comes to color"
You could also reverse the order and say "In terms of color I think the sea coast of Okinawa is the best"

Also, at least in the US, in spoken conversation people also use the suffix "-wise"
"I think the sea coast of Okinawa is the best color-wise"
It is generally not accepted in formal writing though.

Next,

"Things becomes different when it comes to beach coast" -> "Things become different when it comes to beach coast"

Just a final note, some of your possessives, while often grammatically correct, sound too Japanese, such as
"I don't know why the Okinawa's sand color is so white."
Here most native speakers of English would say "I don't know why the color of Okinawa's sand is so white" or just "I don't know why Okinawa's sand is so white"

Same with "Yet, Okinawa's sea color is quite different"
It would be better to say "The color of Okinawa's sea"
This is also partly because "sea color" and "sand color" themselves are not often used.

Just something to keep in mind. Since you are already very good at grammar and have a wide range of vocabulary all it really comes down to is idiomatic usage.

My Japan Blog (lots of pics and experiences of living in Japan..with some of Thailand too)
Latest Entry = Today's Journey (click)
(#106 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-27-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Thank you, dogsbody70.

The most attracting point is .... (wrong)
The most attractive point is .....(correct)

The most attracting ATTRACTIVE point is that the deck is on the clouds, which lookS like white sea. On IN the background, there is a mountain top which looks like an island on the white sea.

Hi. I don't understand the underlined part's "look/looks" choice.
I think "look" is correct.

the clouds, which look like white sea.

the clouds (plural)
which (plural)
white sea (singular)

I think "which" is plural because it is the alternative of "the clouds".
So I think "which look like" is correct.

One cloud Look CLOUDS PLURAL--Looks. It depends on the sentence.

WE often say it looks like a lovely day today. That cloud looks stunning.

I looked at the clouds, they looked fantastic. look at that cloud, what picture can you see in it? I replied instinctively to you Supperman without being thorough or pernickety.

it is quite a sunny day (correct)
it is a quite sunny day (wrong)

There are other higher clouds in the sky.(wrong)
There are other clouds higher in the sky. (Correct)
If I had had enough time I would probably have described the scene differently, but you really are good at ENGLISH. I assume you study American English as you use that kind of spelling.
(#107 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-27-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuuzoku View Post
Nice description, Supperman. The water in this pic reminded me a little of the Florida Keys. Both are very clear. Oh yeah, just in case my coloring code confuses you, red=delete, green=add.
Thank you, Kuuzoku. I'll check Florida Keys out on the web. I didn't know about them.

The typo of "it" for "is" could not be detected by the spellchecker of the firefox.
Maybe the typo of "his" for "this" could not be detected, either, because the spell itself is alright. I should be more careful from now on.

I think the Okinawa sea coast is the best in regards to color. (correct)

The color of the sea is just an ordinary color in Guam or Hawaii.(correct)

Yet, things become different when it comes to a beach coast.
(correct)
(#108 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-27-2011, 09:26 AM

Thank you, Lonthego, for your correction.
I wonder if you are an English language teacher for Japanese people.
I wonder why you know that my words order is Japanese-wise. (Am I using -wise correctly?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonthego View Post
"I think Okinawa sea coast is the best, when I talk about the color of them"

Instead of "When I talk about the color of them" it sounds more natural to say "in terms of color" or "when it comes to color"

For example "I think the sea coast of Okinawa is the best in terms of color" or "I think the sea coast of Okinawa is the best when it comes to color"
You could also reverse the order and say "In terms of color I think the sea coast of Okinawa is the best"

I will remember "in terms of" and "when it comes to" as well as Kuuzoku's suggestion; "in regards to".

Also, at least in the US, in spoken conversation people also use the suffix "-wise"
"I think the sea coast of Okinawa is the best color-wise"
It is generally not accepted in formal writing though.

I'll try to use "-wise", from now on.
Next,

"Things becomes different when it comes to beach coast" -> "Things become different when it comes to beach coast"

Just a final note, some of your possessives, while often grammatically correct, sound too Japanese, such as
"I don't know why the Okinawa's sand color is so white."
Here most native speakers of English would say "I don't know why the color of Okinawa's sand is so white" or just "I don't know why Okinawa's sand is so white"

Same with "Yet, Okinawa's sea color is quite different"
It would be better to say "The color of Okinawa's sea"
This is also partly because "sea color" and "sand color" themselves are not often used.

You're correct! Mine is the literal translation of Japanese words order. I agree. And thanks again, for your effort and contribution for me.

Last edited by Supperman : 07-27-2011 at 10:18 AM.
(#109 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-27-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
If I had had enough time I would probably have described the scene differently, but you really are good at ENGLISH. I assume you study American English as you use that kind of spelling.
Thank you, dogsbody70, for your comment.
And I don't want you to be displeased with my AE spelling.

This was not MY choice. There was no choice.
After the WWII, in Japan, every junior high school and high school teachers must teach American English. All textbooks are written in AE.
Maybe, MacArthur (GHQ) 's choice.
So I've learned (not learnt) American English, and its spellings.

And one more thing is that the spellchecker of Firefox always correct me to use the American spellings.
The spellchecker might be stupid, rather than clever??

I know not a few Japanese people admire the Queen's English, though.
Such people tend to go to the UK, I think.
I want to go to the UK too, especially to the Wimbledon, because I'm a tennis player, oops, was a tennis player, when I was not fatty.

Last edited by Supperman : 07-27-2011 at 10:21 AM.
(#110 (permalink))
Old
Kuuzoku (Offline)
New to JF

07-27-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
And one more thing is that the spellchecker of Firefox always correct me to use the American spellings.
The spellchecker might be stupid, rather than clever??
Firefox sometimes has false positives for words. Also, it depends if you have either the British English or American English language pack installed. You can also go to Firefox site and download accordingly if you want to change it.

Native English speaker currently learning Japanese. (日本語を勉強しているネイティブ)