LinkBack Thread Tools
(#261 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksyndrem View Post
Because a "Black American" is black, and a "latino American" is latino?
It's not bring up stereotypes, it's bringing up races. Now, it's your turn, go ahead...ask me why I posted this, since your obviously going to ignore it anyhow.
darksyndrem, I've ignored any post you made that happened to be insulting, or attempted to pull me into a flame war.

Unfortunately, that was every post up until this one. Even this one attempts to bait me, but I can see that you're actually trying to have a calm, mature discussion now, so I will gladly answer you.

To me, races come along with stereotypes. It doesn't necessarily mean that every person agrees or believes in these stereotypes, but there are stereotypes - for every race. For example, for the white race, there's the idea that "white people can't dance" or "white people can't jump." Silly stereotypes, I know. Yet I've heard from time to time at parties, "Wow, that white girl can dance!"

Why the surprise? Why the shock? Why is that girl any different from the other people dancing around her? It's the stereotype that white people can't dance that fuels the shock when people see that there are white people who can indeed dance.

LOVE: pass it on
(#262 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

08-14-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
If you read the article that I provided, then you can see that those words are racist - regardless of what the flamers/spammers on this thread say. People don't tend to know that, because it's something that's so deeply rooted in our society.
You mean that article written by some person by the name of raaw who created a blog so he/she could just ramble about races and racism? Oh yeah, I read it alright.
(#263 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

08-14-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Huh. No, that's true. Maybe that's something I'm going to start trying out in the USA. Thanks for the idea.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. What's the point in stating, "He's a black American?" or, "He's a Latino American?" or anything like that? With each race comes attached stereotypes. Why risk bringing up those stereotypes, when they can just be called "person" or "American"?
No problem. Some ignorant people think that the US is just a white country and that the American culture comes from whites. Yes, I hate those stereotypes. I know people used those for comedy sometimes, but I think its just plain wrong, because there are idiots who dont get and start messing around with those stereotypes. I just like the quote from Obama, " There is no black america, white america: There is only The United States of America"~ Obama.

It's so easy, To think about Love, To Talk about Love, To wish for Love, But it's not always easy, To recognize Love, Even when we hold it.... In our hands."
--Jaka

Last edited by Zagato289 : 08-14-2009 at 09:23 PM.
(#264 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
You mean that article written by some person by the name of raaw who created a blog so he/she could just ramble about races and racism? Oh yeah, I read it alright.
Good. Now, whether you want to keep that knowledge for your own power or not is up to you. Like I said, some people choose to stay blissfully ignorant. There isn't a problem with that.

Zagato289: Unfortunately, yeah. But I find that even those ignorant people will sometimes want to learn, and want to know the truth - so even if they have ignorant thoughts or opinions, there's still hope for them.

(#265 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

08-14-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Good. Now, whether you want to keep that knowledge for your own power or not is up to you. Like I said, some people choose to stay blissfully ignorant. There isn't a problem with that.

Zagato289: Unfortunately, yeah. But I find that even those ignorant people will sometimes want to learn, and want to know the truth - so even if they have ignorant thoughts or opinions, there's still hope for them.
and i hope the day they will understand and accept the truth will come soon.

It's so easy, To think about Love, To Talk about Love, To wish for Love, But it's not always easy, To recognize Love, Even when we hold it.... In our hands."
--Jaka

(#266 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
08-14-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
darksyndrem, I've ignored any post you made that happened to be insulting, or attempted to pull me into a flame war.

Unfortunately, that was every post up until this one. Even this one attempts to bait me, but I can see that you're actually trying to have a calm, mature discussion now, so I will gladly answer you.
Unfortunately, you're wrong on that one.

Quote:
To me, races come along with stereotypes. It doesn't necessarily mean that every person agrees or believes in these stereotypes, but there are stereotypes - for every race. For example, for the white race, there's the idea that "white people can't dance" or "white people can't jump." Silly stereotypes, I know. Yet I've heard from time to time at parties, "Wow, that white girl can dance!"

Why the surprise? Why the shock? Why is that girl any different from the other people dancing around her? It's the stereotype that white people can't dance that fuels the shock when people see that there are white people who can indeed dance.
There's a difference between stereotypes and races.
(#267 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

08-14-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksyndrem View Post
Unfortunately, you're wrong on that one.

There's a difference between stereotypes and races.

umm she said, stereotypes come along with races,

she didn't say they were the same thing.

(#268 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-14-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
"Hispanic" is another word that isn't politically correct because of the implications of colonization. To say that a Puerto Rican is "Hispanic" is wrong, because Spain does not own or control Puerto Rico.
Out of curiosity, how is it wrong when a Puerto Rican would be considered a Hispanic? It's just how it is. I know Puerto Ricans who aren't offended by that term and use it. The offensive term is "Spic", not "Hispanic". They call themselves Hispanic. Now, seems that a Puerto Rican might feel offense if you assume they're something other than Puerto Rican.

My friend is from El Salvador (so he's technically Latino/Latin American), and if you called him say...a Mexican or assume he's from Mexico, he would take offense to that, but of course, it'd probably depend on the person saying it. My Puerto Rican friend is the same way. Call him Hispanic, but don't assume he's Mexican.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 08-14-2009 at 09:57 PM.
(#269 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Out of curiosity, how is it wrong when a Puerto Rican would be considered a Hispanic? It's just how it is. I know Puerto Ricans who aren't offended by that term and use it. The offensive term is "Spic", not "Hispanic". They call themselves Hispanic. Now, seems that a Puerto Rican might feel offense if you assume they're something other than Puerto Rican.

My friend is from El Salvador (so he's technically Latino/Latin American), and if you called him say...a Mexican or assume he's from Mexico, he would take offense to that, but of course, it'd probably depend on the person saying it. My Puerto Rican friend is the same way. Call him Hispanic, but don't assume he's Mexican.
Here's why some people might find it offensive:

Hispanic: “We never use Hispanic,” says Sen. “It privileges the European roots of the identity of Mexicans born in the United States.” Hispanic, however, is the preferred term of people in the Southwest whose families are descendents of Spanish colonists.

Latino: (Capital “L,” with “a” or “o” at the end used to connote gender.) Politically correct term for those from Spanish or Portuguese speaking cultures. “We use it instead of Hispanic when we want to refer to many different national groups where there has been an indigenous-European mix,” says Sen.

A Politically Correct Lexicon -- In These Times

(#270 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 11:47 PM

For the record, I just asked my grandmother who is from Colombia if she was offended by the term Hispanic or if anyone she knew had ever taken offense, and she laughed in my face. I really don't know what you're trying to pull here.

To hell with political correctness.

It seems with your constant "Caucasian/Hispanic/Negro is racist! It really is!" that you're insecure with yourself. Notice very few people agree with you on that.
Closed Thread