LinkBack Thread Tools
(#641 (permalink))
Old
ZenOfAnger (Offline)
New to JF

02-08-2011, 06:06 AM

Name: Ryan
Hailing from: St. Louis, MO
Hobbies: Martial arts (primarily Judo), camping, video games, not anime (I just can't seem to get into any of them since watching pokemon as a kid, okay!?)

First off, greetings to you all!

I decided to join this site to get in touch with those who have knowledge in the subject of Japan in order to help broaden my own knowledge, and to occasionally just shoot the breeze. Unfortunately, due to events in my life that had been ongoing until recently, it would take a plethora of posts, (or one or two lengthy posts) to fully explain, so I won't delve into too much details at the moment. Suffice to say that I have had an interest in Japanese culture and language from a young age, but had many things going on in my life, and wasn't too sure of what I really wanted to accomplish.

Now that I have had a clear head to think things through, I really want to make the best effort that I can to learn the Japanese language and culture, and at least spend a few years of my life there so I can have not only an astounding life-experience traveling abroad, but to have accomplished something I really set my mind to do.

I would appreciate any advice that you can give me, and whensoever I have questions that you could be gracious enough to give an honest answer.

Sincerely,

ZoA.

Last edited by ZenOfAnger : 02-08-2011 at 06:09 AM.
(#642 (permalink))
Old
LucaMore (Offline)
New to JF

Hello from Toronto! - 02-08-2011, 06:58 PM

Hi there,

My name is Luca and I am from Toronto, Canada. I am currently in secod year at University, and have plans to find a way to Japan as a soon as possible.

I know, I know you hear it alll the time. But let me explains.

Part 1) Childhood love - I fell in love with Japan watching movies like Akira (HAHAH) and TV shows in Canada that had the hosts go to Japan. I eventually went to Japan in grade 11, 4 years ago, as part of a school trip. I was there for 2 weeks, and have never had that much fun again!

Part 2) New love - In first year Univeristy, a handful of Japanese students from Hosei University lived in Residence with my at Trent University. It is safe to say I had the best semester of my life. I became very good friends with a few of them, and we recently met up in China (last summer) for a friend of ours wedding.

Part 3) STANGNANT love - Now I sit waiting to go to Japan. HA, I find North American culture sterile and bland. European culture focuses to much on the past, in a counter productive way. This is why I love Japan, it's culture, to me atleast, has a love for the tradition of the past and the thrilll of the future.

I really want to go to Japan, and I joined this forum for information, for friends and to see if my heart is really in the right place. I am afraid I may be going to Japan because of movies like Lost in Translation...

I think the visual appeal is totally part of why I want to go, but it is definitly not all. When I see articles or pictures of the average life of a Japanese city or country resident, I well up in jealousy as I feel that is the life I need.

I also, sadly, speak no Japanese, I want to work on my Japanese but school is already hard enough! I have no time to study heavily Japanese!

Are you guys familiar with job opportunities in Japan for Canadians? I know there is teaching options, but I would like to know if there is any other options.

Thanks for reading this long rant. ANY help would make me so happy!
Even a hello, I need to start getting to know everyone!
(#643 (permalink))
Old
Dusia (Offline)
New to JF

02-15-2011, 12:34 PM

Hello everyone,
my name is Dusia and I'm from Poland. I logged in this forum to broaden my knowledge of Japan and to get in touch with people of similar interests. I have been a Japan fan since like primary school and my fascination has been growing ever since.
All the best,
Dusia
(#644 (permalink))
Old
Elenwe (Offline)
JF Regular

02-15-2011, 03:50 PM

Hello, I'm from Canada of Chinese origins. I registered here because I'm a great fan of japanese anime and dramas. Hi.
(#645 (permalink))
Old
Cayla (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-16-2011, 12:38 AM

Me too! I'm sort of new here too! Welcome to Japan Forum!
Do you like death note?
(#646 (permalink))
Old
Elenwe (Offline)
JF Regular

02-16-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayla View Post
Me too! I'm sort of new here too! Welcome to Japan Forum!
Do you like death note?
yep, love it... but better talk about that in the anime/manga forum.
(#647 (permalink))
Old
Cayla (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-16-2011, 12:50 AM

Thanks!!!
(#648 (permalink))
Old
Cayla (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-16-2011, 12:50 AM

Thanks!!

crud!! rote that twice.

Last edited by Cayla : 02-16-2011 at 12:53 AM.
(#649 (permalink))
Old
Akumu (Offline)
New to JF

02-17-2011, 06:25 PM

Hey all, I'm Peter and I have happily stumbled across this forum just today. I'm from England and I am 18 years old doing a BSc degree in Computer Science here.

I'm not sure what to expect from here but I thought I might as well post an intro and then dive in wherever I can in the multiple forums on offer.

I have nearly always had some interest in Japan and the past 5 or so years it's intensified to a high level. I listen solely to Japanese music these days because I just feel it's higher quality than what is offered over in the west, mostly Visual Kei with some JRock thrown in. I have great interest in the culture and am studying Japanese as my module outside the main discipline and hopefully will spend my third year of university in Japan.

I also enjoy watching anime though it has slowed down with a lot of work build-up. I would like to get into some JDramas so if anyone can recommend some good ones, that'd be nice =]

I think that's everything ^^ Nice to be here
(#650 (permalink))
Old
Kamalayka (Offline)
New to JF

Hello. - 02-18-2011, 01:45 AM

Hey everybody. As of late I have been trying to "connect" with my heritage. SInce I am part Japanese, I figure that I might as well start on an internet forum. I know very little about Japan (other than the fact that one of my favorite guitarists, Akira Takasaki, just happens to originate from there.)

A little about myself:

I am a male
I am 22
I have played piano since age 9 and have been a self-taught guitarist since age 13.
I was fortunate enough to meet Eddie Van Halen once (should've taken a picture lol). He is seriously the nicest dude you'll ever meet!

Now, I am not one of those strangos who idolize Japan. I simply am looking to learn a little bit about the general culture and people, particularly Okinawa (where the Japanese part of my family originates from).

Last edited by Kamalayka : 02-18-2011 at 01:50 AM.