JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

Send a message via AIM to JackIsLost
04-06-2010, 06:29 PM

there's many japanese songs that throw in american words even when it makes no sense. people still love the music nevertheless...

うんこ漏らした。

my gun is bigger than your gun
(#32 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-06-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsLost View Post
there's many japanese songs that throw in american words even when it makes no sense. people still love the music nevertheless...
I would say they throw in English words, not American words. But this is a little different than the original post.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
SenseofTouch (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to SenseofTouch Send a message via MSN to SenseofTouch Send a message via Skype™ to SenseofTouch
04-06-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I would say they throw in English words, not American words. But this is a little different than the original post.
It is exactly the same, but for some reason people make it a big deal when it's Japanese, but it's not. It doesn't mean a person is a geek or a wannabe; it just means they think it sounds cool/funny or simply they've adopted it to their speech. When I speak Japanese to friends, I mix in English expressions. When I speak Cantonese to friends, I mix in English or Mandarin expressions and so on. It is extremely common among multilingual societies or households. It is also extremely common for a person to constantly use the expressions of the language they're learning while speaking their native tongue.

O===[[:::::SenseofTouch:::::>>
(#34 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-06-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseofTouch View Post
It is exactly the same, but for some reason people make it a big deal when it's Japanese, but it's not. It doesn't mean a person is a geek or a wannabe; it just means they think it sounds cool/funny or simply they've adopted it to their speech. When I speak Japanese to friends, I mix in English expressions. When I speak Cantonese to friends, I mix in English or Mandarin expressions and so on. It is extremely common among multilingual societies or households. It is also extremely common for a person to constantly use the expressions of the language they're learning while speaking their native tongue.
Pop music has nothing to do with how people really talk. Do those same singers toss in English when they are speaking Japanese conversationally?

No, they don't. Pop music lyrics are NOT conversational language communication.

It is common to mix languages in multi-lingual societies. However, I don't think the OP is talking about people that are living in a Japan/English mixed society.

It is also extremely common for a person to constantly use the expressions of the language they're learning while speaking their native tongue.

I don't know that it is "extremely common" but if I were friends with someone who was learning a new language and he or she couldn't help but "constantly" throw in expressions from the language he or she was learning, I would find it extremely obnoxious.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
metalmark666 (Offline)
JF Regular

Lightbulb 04-06-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
I don't agree with you. BECAUSE I JUST PICKED A RANDOM SITE. IT COULD'VE BEEN ANY JAPAN-RELATED SITE AND ID FIND THE SAME SHIT.
You may find the answers you are looking for at this website... http://www.angermanagementonline.com/

Please read my diary that I wrote when travelling and working in Japan for three months. It is also packed full of information. I hope that it can inspire you to have an adventure too.
Please contact me if I can help you with advice or information.

Japan 2008: Memoires of a Gaijin A.K.A. A Journey Through the Land of the Rising Sun
(#36 (permalink))
Old
SenseofTouch (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to SenseofTouch Send a message via MSN to SenseofTouch Send a message via Skype™ to SenseofTouch
04-06-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Pop music has nothing to do with how people really talk. Do those same singers toss in English when they are speaking Japanese conversationally?

It is common to mix languages in multi-lingual societies. However, I don't think the OP is talking about people that are living in a Japan/English mixed society.

It is also extremely common for a person to constantly use the expressions of the language they're learning while speaking their native tongue.

I don't know that it is "extremely common" but if I were friends with someone who was learning a new language and he or she couldn't help but "constantly" throw in expressions from the language he or she was learning, I would find it extremely obnoxious.
I didn't say a single word about pop music. Every single one of my Japanese friends throw English expressions into their Japanese. All of my Chinese friends throw in English into their Cantonese. Most of my Latin/Hispanic friends throw in Spanish into their English. Many people in Hong Kong throw in English words, phrases, and expressions into their daily speech while hardly knowing the language. Big deal. It is common and it is not a bad thing. It doesn't imply anything. Apparently, some dumbass decided to label foreigners using Japanese expressions as geeks and wannabes, and even dumber dumbasses followed. N*gga please.

O===[[:::::SenseofTouch:::::>>
(#37 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-06-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I didn't say a single word about pop music.
But you were responding to my comment to JackisLost's comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsLost View Post
Quote:
So we were talking about pop music when you made your comment.

Quote:
Every single one of my Japanese friends throw English expressions into their Japanese.

Like I said, in a multi-lingual society, this is normal. Keep in mind this is NOT normal in most of Japan, which is a not a multi-lingual society.
Quote:
Big deal. It is common and it is not a bad thing. It doesn't imply anything. Apparently, some dumbass decided to label foreigners using Japanese expressions as geeks and wannabes, and even dumber dumbasses followed. N*gga please.
How do you thing saying "N***** please" makes you look?
(#38 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

04-07-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:

Why would you find it extremely obnoxious?

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-07-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Like I said, in a multi-lingual society, this is normal. Keep in mind this is NOT normal in most of Japan, which is a not a multi-lingual society.
I am going to assume you mean, throwing in English words, with English pronunciation, not Katakana borrowed words from English which probably comprise a good 10-20% of the modern Japanese language.
(#40 (permalink))
Old
thcuteness (Offline)
Banned

04-07-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
What do you want us to do about it? o_O
Maybe he wants us to use are awesome jforum powers and slay the losers? :/