LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

10-21-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Gangsters become gangsters because they too have few options in life, due to upbringing or lack of education. Since they don't have the education or training to be productive members of society, they make their living doing scams, running drugs and prostitutes, or loan-sharking. The only people who respect gangsters are other gangsters, because they are too narrow to appreciate anything outside their own very limited world.
I would just like to point out a few things Sangetsu.

Your view has it's points, but it has a flaw. You're claiming that people become gangsters because of no other alternative in their life. This is incorrect. Becoming a gangster takes ambition. It also takes many more things, but it's mainly driven by ambition.

A successful Gangster can easily be a rich and powerful man. It also, to some, may seem like an eventful and dangerous lifestyle. Which it is. But the main reason people pursue the gangster lifestyle, is because of the easy access to money. I mean, it's harder to earn money, than by acquiring it by immoral means. This can be so for the educated, and for the non-educated. Education does not get rid of greed.

As for aiming for specific jobs and the like, I know a person who's aim is to become a bricklayer. Why? Because he enjoys it.

It's a low paying job, and I can see in your eyes it's a job that should not be aimed for. But some people don't seek to be ambitious in life. Some people aim for their own comfort.

It's wrong to make judgements about someone's goals, or personal preferences in life.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

10-29-2010, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
No one wants to be a garbage collector or slaughter house worker, the people who do such jobs do so because they have few/no other options. Sure these jobs are important, but do you or any of your friends wish to do either of these jobs? Probably not.

Gangsters become gangsters because they too have few options in life, due to upbringing or lack of education. Since they don't have the education or training to be productive members of society, they make their living doing scams, running drugs and prostitutes, or loan-sharking. The only people who respect gangsters are other gangsters, because they are too narrow to appreciate anything outside their own very limited world.
Yes, because you can definitely vouch for 6 billion people? Not everyone wants the stereotypical "good and prestigable" job.

If you say that it is unlike for someone to pick such jobs because they love it, I will probably agree with you. But until then I'm red and you're blue.

Edit: Just read Salvanas post. < That.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

10-29-2010, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post
[color="Black"]
A successful Gangster can easily be a rich and powerful man. It also, to some, may seem like an eventful and dangerous lifestyle.
COLOR]

well that sounds like BS most people who are dumb enough to join this kind of organization dont have the brains to become "a successful gangster".
best they could do would be a handy man or something like that...because the actual heads of these organizations are intelligent and they have to be for this to work - dont go to jail and to be powerful, rich. there arent any college drop-outs, but people with good eye for business.
so...nope. he cannot become powerful and rich, because before that happens his ass will be in jail for something stupid he did...like asking on the internet will jakuza accept him...
(#34 (permalink))
Old
HikoSeijuro (Offline)
New to JF

10-29-2010, 05:08 AM

I feel it was a good question and rightly placed because there seem to be a lot of people posting here who know first hand how yakuza members think, how much they make, and where they end up ultimately.

Also, we have discovered (together as an ever-evolving group) the pointless life and duty of the office worker while learning that garbage men ( and women ) and dishwashers (of all race and sex) are indeed noble positions.

I suspect from these conversations that many future dishwasher and garbage men / women positions will be filled immediately by some of the very posters in these forums.

From the posts that I have seen just on this topic alone I know some of you have the capability to answer the question that *I* seek ...how do you describe the color blue to a blind person?

Life is a marathon; not a 40 yard dash.

A superior psychology, mastery of self, and a clean arse are the keys to happiness.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

10-29-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikoSeijuro View Post
I feel it was a good question and rightly placed because there seem to be a lot of people posting here who know first hand how yakuza members think, how much they make, and where they end up ultimately.

Also, we have discovered (together as an ever-evolving group) the pointless life and duty of the office worker while learning that garbage men ( and women ) and dishwashers (of all race and sex) are indeed noble positions.

I suspect from these conversations that many future dishwasher and garbage men / women positions will be filled immediately by some of the very posters in these forums.

From the posts that I have seen just on this topic alone I know some of you have the capability to answer the question that *I* seek ...how do you describe the color blue to a blind person?
Define color.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

10-29-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
well that sounds like BS most people who are dumb enough to join this kind of organization dont have the brains to become "a successful gangster".
best they could do would be a handy man or something like that...because the actual heads of these organizations are intelligent and they have to be for this to work - dont go to jail and to be powerful, rich. there arent any college drop-outs, but people with good eye for business.
so...nope. he cannot become powerful and rich, because before that happens his ass will be in jail for something stupid he did...like asking on the internet will jakuza accept him...
You claim it's dumb. You claim people who join this sort of organization won't become anything in life, because you claim they don't have the brains for it.

You judge way too much, instead of understanding that some people in life just have it easier than us.

There are people in this world, right now, who are gaining so much money through immoral acts. Much more than I, or you, would earn in 20 years. They earn it all in a day.

As for people thinking they can become successful, some people dream of it. It doesn't stop the lure of being a gangster from being there to people who dream of being rich easily, or following a dangerous lifestyle.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-29-2010, 10:48 AM

You cant just become a garbage collector in Japan unlike other countries.
First you must become an officer of the Prefecture, the City or town. This involves study and examination.

The garbage collectors and all other manual working representatives of the state are not just dead end jobs for the uneducated like in other countries, they are valid job positions for hard working people.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

10-29-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
You claim it's dumb. You claim people who join this sort of organization won't become anything in life, because you claim they don't have the brains for it.

You judge way too much, instead of understanding that some people in life just have it easier than us.

There are people in this world, right now, who are gaining so much money through immoral acts. Much more than I, or you, would earn in 20 years. They earn it all in a day.

As for people thinking they can become successful, some people dream of it. It doesn't stop the lure of being a gangster from being there to people who dream of being rich easily, or following a dangerous lifestyle.
only thing i claim is that it is dumb idea in itself that a drop-out is going to join gangsters and become as you said "rich and powerful"
those people who in illegal ways do become powerful arent drop-outs. those guys are smart..not average Joe smart. they have the brains to be also a lawyer or businessman or any other respectable figure.

in no way im judging. i simply go and laugh my a*s of when someone on the internet asks will jakuza accept me so i can become rich and powerful.

P.S and wont achieve anything? nea...simply won't become crime overlord if grey matter isnt working to its potential

P.P.S o..and that small text thing you have going on...it is not as cool as you think..like that blue text guy..at least his posts you can read normally..
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

11-01-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
only thing i claim is that it is dumb idea in itself that a drop-out is going to join gangsters and become as you said "rich and powerful"
those people who in illegal ways do become powerful arent drop-outs. those guys are smart..not average Joe smart. they have the brains to be also a lawyer or businessman or any other respectable figure.
We don't think differently there, I agree with you. I was only commenting on the fact that you called it dumb to join any kind of organisation like this.

I quote:

Quote:
That to me, sounds like you're bashing anyone that joins any sort of gangster based organisation. Nothing in that quote about people dropping out of school or the like for it.

Quote:
in no way im judging. i simply go and laugh my a*s of when someone on the internet asks will jakuza accept me so i can become rich and powerful.
Read my answer above. I agree to an extent, but your post was judgemental. Also, I read no where in the OP's post that claimed such a thing. You didn't really read it, did you?

Quote:
P.S and wont achieve anything? nea...simply won't become crime overlord if grey matter isnt working to its potential
Not too sure I'm understanding what you're on about here.

Quote:
P.P.S o..and that small text thing you have going on...it is not as cool as you think..like that blue text guy..at least his posts you can read normally..
For a boy who writes with the sloppiest English I've seen in a long time, littered with incorrect grammar and punctuation, I find it ironic that you find it fit to bash how I "colour" or even style my posts.

Again, this just adds weight to my conclusion that you are overly judgemental, and on the verge of being an idiot.

Perhaps instead of bashing something so small, and insignificant in an argument, you'd do better to actually learn English correctly before trying to shovel inconsistent drivel into my face.

Just sayin'.
(#40 (permalink))
Old
ColinHowell (Offline)
JF Regular

11-01-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
For a boy who writes with the sloppiest English I've seen in a long time, littered with incorrect grammar and punctuation, I find it ironic that you find it fit to bash how I "colour" or even style my posts.

Perhaps instead of bashing something so small, and insignificant in an argument, you'd do better to actually learn English correctly before trying to shovel inconsistent drivel into my face.
The person is from Latvia. Attacking his level of English skill is uncalled for.

As for your choice of typeface, I find it needlessly difficult to read.