(#41 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

11-01-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinHowell View Post
I find it needlessly difficult to read.
my point. i doesn't matter on what level my english is. or any language for that matter - i can still say it is lame to write something in ridiculously small font. its ok to add style to your posts for your "character" in this forum, but you should think about what style you are adding...the blue text buy (don't remember his name) has clear text and you can immediately see it and make a connection - o..its that cool guy. now you come a long with your posts and people are like "o, man..this guy with the annoying font again? i don't have time to damage my eyesight...moving on"

P.S what's so sloppy, incorrect about my english? "...." these things? well, you have your annoying font and i have my annoying punctuation.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

11-01-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinHowell View Post
The person is from Latvia. Attacking his level of English skill is uncalled for.

As for your choice of typeface, I find it needlessly difficult to read.
If he had just said "Could you change your font please, it's hard to read", I would have complied without a second thought. But it's the way he said it, that irked me, and so, I bashed his English in return.

If you're polite and mannered to me, I'll be polite and mannered back to you. If you're not, then don't expect any back from me.

Quote:
my point. i doesn't matter on what level my english is. or any language for that matter - i can still say it is lame to write something in ridiculously small font. its ok to add style to your posts for your "character" in this forum, but you should think about what style you are adding...the blue text buy (don't remember his name) has clear text and you can immediately see it and make a connection - o..its that cool guy. now you come a long with your posts and people are like "o, man..this guy with the annoying font again? i don't have time to damage my eyesight...moving on"
Here's an idea. Next time, try put it politely, instead of trying on a play on words which your knowledge (or pronunciation might be a better word for it.) of English isn't cut out to do. When you're trying to translate from one language to another, what might sound fair enough in your language might sound patronizing in another.

Your way of putting it forward sounded patronizing. So I retaliated, slating your English.

And for the actual record, I've used this font a lot since I came onto this forum, and I've had only one person complain. Others have made do. The person who did complained, asked me to change my font. Which I complied.

Quote:
P.S what's so sloppy, incorrect about my english? "...." these things? well, you have your annoying font and i have my annoying punctuation.
Lack of capitals, lack of commas (Which you remedied in your last post.) which are forgiveable in the long run, but when patronized, I found it ironic that you tried to bash me for something so small. So I patronized you in return.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-01-2010, 09:46 PM

Please, again, let's stay on topic.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
HikoSeijuro (Offline)
New to JF

11-01-2010, 09:49 PM

If the yakuza are searching this forum (which..lets be honest here...probably are) I think they will find some highly aggressive new recruits.

Life is a marathon; not a 40 yard dash.

A superior psychology, mastery of self, and a clean arse are the keys to happiness.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

11-02-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post

Not everyone changes the color of their text just because it makes them look cool. I'm slightly color-blind - So it's hard to read, for example, light blue text.

Usually I just highlight the text to read - But it's a preference to use mine as black to quickly spot and edit something.

And yey for the native English speaker. Pulling out the "language" card is always brilliant!

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-02-2010, 01:15 AM

Salvanas's font is fine, but for some reason it was so tiny and hard for old people like me to read We can't read small characters but we don't want to admit it. hehe. I liked the font face itself and found it to be more readable than the default one. It's just the size.

The language card is weak. But I don't think evanny is at the level where he even cares. Capitals and punctuations and commas? if these are the only flaws it means his English is perfect. Who here writes impeccable English?

Anyway, what was the point?

Last edited by cranks : 11-02-2010 at 02:49 AM.
(#47 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-02-2010, 02:00 AM

Please don't make me ask again. Let's leave the bad blood behind and get back on the topic.
(#48 (permalink))
Old
KyokoUK (Offline)
Loving KuranUSA

Send a message via MSN to KyokoUK Send a message via Yahoo to KyokoUK Send a message via Skype™ to KyokoUK
11-08-2010, 10:52 PM

If, as stated earlier in this thread, that the yakuza are worse than paper pushing office workers, and to address the question of whether or not they take non Japanese into their organization, just experience for once, the bureaucratic, red tape, "doing it properly," run around given by any attempt to put a simple form through the system then, I would say that they DO accept foreigners and they have taken over the English government.

I Defied My Brain And Learned For Myself That Wheelchairs Are Not Always Forever...Music Was A Large Part Of My Healing...Let Music Heal Your Soul.

(#49 (permalink))
Old
KuranUSA (Offline)
Lost In Love

11-09-2010, 12:59 AM

The Yakuza,from what I've studied,read,learned,watched,etc. Operate on a code similar to the italian or american gangesters that operated in the prohibition era. That is,a strict code of honor and a sense of family. Unlike modern gangsters, unless it was absoloutley nessescary,you did not harm innocent people. You did not betray your family,or your associates.You work for the betterment of your community.(Interesting note,did you know that when unemployment in chicago hit 50% during that era,Al capone opened more soup kitchens and homeless shelters than the goverment?) You do not get high on your own supply.And so on. The Yakuza has managed to keep up this tradition to a much stronger degree than their counterparts in other countries. There is still a degree of tradition and honor,which also extends to new members. I would not think that nationality of a potential recruit would be as important as family ties or the individual's sense of duty.

Short answer: Probably not,because unfortunatley,a good portion of the rest of the world dosen't put any stock in honor or ethics anymore.
[/opinion]
(#50 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-09-2010, 01:43 AM

Al Capone may have been a very charitable individual, but he was also generous with his bullets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Valentine's_Day_massacre