(#41 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

02-25-2011, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
can't watch it in my country

You sure that link a'int no working? Maybe Japanese youtube is different huh? too bad
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-25-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsygypsy View Post
You sure that link a'int no working? Maybe Japanese youtube is different huh? too bad
It works for me - but I`m in Japan, so at least we can tell it`s not a link issue.

It may just be that the poster`s country blocks Youtube for some reason.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-25-2011, 08:09 AM

My interest in Japan started when I was with the girlfriend I had before my wife. She had spent a year in Toyama on a student exchange program. Her stories of the amount of snow that fell in the mountains and even down at the coast at times got me very interested. I then read an article in an outdoors magazine from a guy living in Hokkaido that talked about huge amounts of powder snow and snow to sea level throughout the winter. This got me very, very interested.

Anyway some years later I eventually made it to the Niseko ski area in Hokkaido for a 3 week skiing holiday. I was blown away at how good the snow was. I'd previously spent a season in Canada working for a heli-ski company and frankly I was getting just as good snow straight off the chairlifts as I was getting out of the helicopter in Canada. Awesome!
Came back the following year for a 4 week ski holiday and ended up staying for 3 months. After that I was totally hooked and did what I needed to do to get back and live here dragging my wife with me. 7 years later and I can say they've been some of the best years of my life.

My interest in Japan never had anything to do with culture, anime, manga or any of that stuff. It was all about snow and mountains. Japan has an abundance of both. I've certainly not remained here all these years though just for the snow. I've come to very much enjoy the culture and lifestyle up here in rural Hokkaido.

Last edited by GoNative : 02-25-2011 at 08:12 AM.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

02-25-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
My interest in Japan started when I was with the girlfriend I had before my wife. She had spent a year in Toyama on a student exchange program. Her stories of the amount of snow that fell in the mountains and even down at the coast at times got me very interested. I then read an article in an outdoors magazine from a guy living in Hokkaido that talked about huge amounts of powder snow and snow to sea level throughout the winter. This got me very, very interested.

Anyway some years later I eventually made it to the Niseko ski area in Hokkaido for a 3 week skiing holiday. I was blown away at how good the snow was. I'd previously spent a season in Canada working for a heli-ski company and frankly I was getting just as good snow straight off the chairlifts as I was getting out of the helicopter in Canada. Awesome!
Came back the following year for a 4 week ski holiday and ended up staying for 3 months. After that I was totally hooked and did what I needed to do to get back and live here dragging my wife with me. 7 years later and I can say they've been some of the best years of my life.

My interest in Japan never had anything to do with culture, anime, manga or any of that stuff. It was all about snow and mountains. Japan has an abundance of both. I've certainly not remained here all these years though just for the snow. I've come to very much enjoy the culture and lifestyle up here in rural Hokkaido.

Great! I love the snow in Hokkaido too. I had the same experience for the first time I visited Sapporo Kokusai. I'm not sure yet, but I would visit Hokkaido this year too. Maybe in April, just to visit my friend in Asahikwa.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-25-2011, 09:46 AM

Asahidake still has some great skiing April
(#46 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-25-2011, 11:39 AM

I think Japan and the UK are quite similar also. Especially Wales.
(#47 (permalink))
Old
Dutchie (Offline)
New to JF

02-25-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsygypsy View Post
Oooooh my gaaaaaaawd!! Your grandpa is in Rotterdam? Rotterdam has been a special place for me since I was 15. I really was into Rotterdam techono music back then. By the way, that dinosaurs toy is called "Zoid" here in Japan. And, those toys are still popular among mania people.
Now it's my turn : Ooooh my gooooood!! Are you telling me you actually were in Rotterdam and into the techno scene?
If you were , i can tell you are one though mofo It wasn't the healthiest place to be around you know. (even yakuza were spotted after the partys) I know were about the same age and i was there.
With the SFC (Feyenoord Hooligans) , Al the drugs (never did any though) , the rightwing skinheads and stuff. It was crazy.
My whole fam is from Rotterdam accept me , my parents moved outside the city before i was born. I lived in Rotterdam when i was 19 till 25 though.
Parkzicht , Nighttown , Baja beachclub...al the wrong but fun places to be hahaha. The Rotterdam hardcore/techno scene is still the best in the world if you ask me.
Here's one for you to bring back old times ^^ : Rotterdam Terror Corps
YouTube - rotterdam terror corps (neophyte) - rotterdam hooligan
(#48 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

02-25-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
Now it's my turn : Ooooh my gooooood!! Are you telling me you actually were in Rotterdam and into the techno scene?
If you were , i can tell you are one though mofo It wasn't the healthiest place to be around you know. (even yakuza were spotted after the partys) I know were about the same age and i was there.
With the SFC (Feyenoord Hooligans) , Al the drugs (never did any though) , the rightwing skinheads and stuff. It was crazy.
My whole fam is from Rotterdam accept me , my parents moved outside the city before i was born. I lived in Rotterdam when i was 19 till 25 though.
Parkzicht , Nighttown , Baja beachclub...al the wrong but fun places to be hahaha. The Rotterdam hardcore/techno scene is still the best in the world if you ask me.
Here's one for you to bring back old times ^^ : Rotterdam Terror Corps
YouTube - rotterdam terror corps (neophyte) - rotterdam hooligan
Unfortunately I have never been to Rotterdam. But I often listened to the Rotterdam hardcore techno stuffs in my mid teens. and Rotterdam has been my special place since then.
(#49 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

02-25-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
I think Japan and the UK are quite similar also. Especially Wales.
That's another place I've never been so far. How Wales is like?
(#50 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-25-2011, 04:07 PM

Wales can be cold[like the rest of the country!] but it has great scenery. Has snow unlike the rest of the country. My uncle and auntie live on a farm that my granddad used to own and the view of the hills is just amazing. I know you shouldn't deny parts of you but I actually like Wales more than England and I'm thinking of going to university there. Of course I know there's good points of England. England has a lot of nice scenery too.

I'll stop going on about Wales now. The reason why I'm always saying "I'm half Welsh" is because a lot of people don't know it exists. My granddad was in the army and he tried to tell a German that he was Welsh and they thought he was mad! I'm sad to say,even a Japanese woman I met didn't know At least I'm not Brittany[which is in France]. Now they really know discrimination.

Whereabouts in Tokyo do you live? I was amazed at how big it was when I went there.

Last edited by tokusatsufan : 02-25-2011 at 04:09 PM.