I wouldn't include any of these on my list. 19 32.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

04-29-2011, 05:46 AM

my favourite has to be To kill a mockingbird. close 2nd is The Kingdom and Dragonheart with Sean Connery - only movie i have cried to when i was a kid.

Citizen Kane and Star wars never did get my boat to float. well RedLetterMedia reviews of star wars did. if you don't know - they probably are the most popular reviews on the internet - Star Wars |

3rd movies review is only 20min shorter than the movie itself
(#32 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-29-2011, 11:00 AM

I've always been more of a Star Trek/Doctor Who man.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
04-29-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am saying even major directors like Woody Allen and Peter Jackson have studios to answer to. Welles didn't have to in Citizen Kane, and Lucas didn't have to in Phantom Menace.
The Production Company pays for the production costs, so it is only normal the director bothers to keep them informed on how the process is going. However, like I said, there's many well-known directors who don't have to go to a lot of trouble to do whatever they think is suitable for the film and the ex producers will just give them green light to go ahead and proceed as they like.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#34 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

04-29-2011, 02:47 PM

None of these feature in my top 10 (which is actually VERY difficult to come up with). The only one I would have probably put in my top 10 woulda been Shawshank Redemption, and that's only because the first time I saw it, the ending really hit me (a bit like Usual Suspects hit me), but it's not a film I could watch over and over again without getting bored of it!
(#35 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-29-2011, 03:51 PM

Has no one mentioned The Blues Brothers yet? One of my all time favourites.
Also Babettes Feast (a 1987 Danish film) is up there as another of my favourites.
Still my all time favourite probably goes to The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I watch it at least a couple of times a year and never get sick of it. Loved the books and love the films. One of the greatest stories of all time.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-29-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
The Production Company pays for the production costs, so it is only normal the director bothers to keep them informed on how the process is going. However, like I said, there's many well-known directors who don't have to go to a lot of trouble to do whatever they think is suitable for the film and the ex producers will just give them green light to go ahead and proceed as they like.
I am not trying to harp on this, but the fact that Welles didn't have to was quite a coup at the time, and in some ways he ruined it for everyone else at the time, as it took years before CK got the appreciation it deserved.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Excessum (Offline)
Way too serious

Send a message via MSN to Excessum Send a message via Skype™ to Excessum
04-30-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
This is more than just your favorite movies, as it is hard to discuss and argue simply about a person's opinion. Think of what you think the Ten Best Movies are. How you define "best" can be up to you, but you should be able to formulate a reason why for any movie is on your list that isn't personal (like, "that was the first movie I saw with my girlfriend".)

Personally, they would be movies I enjoyed, but are also influential in the film world and/or society as a whole. Chances are that they are movies that are borrowed from quite a bit in whatever genre they reside.
Just sayin'

Anywho, these criteria are not only biased, but also too vague. And besides, you can have a list of "most influential" movies, "most dramatic" movies, "movies with best performance" etc (in theory), but even then - who is going to decide what is more important - influence, emotionality, performance? So, as always, it pretty much always boils down to personal preference.

From the list you put up in the poll, I would give a nod only to Shawshank Redemption, as I haven't seen Citizen Kane, Gone With the Wind and Casablanca and the rest are not really worthy in my opinion.

(#38 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-30-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excessum View Post
Just sayin'

Anywho, these criteria are not only biased, but also too vague. And besides, you can have a list of "most influential" movies, "most dramatic" movies, "movies with best performance" etc (in theory), but even then - who is going to decide what is more important - influence, emotionality, performance? So, as always, it pretty much always boils down to personal preference.

From the list you put up in the poll, I would give a nod only to Shawshank Redemption, as I haven't seen Citizen Kane, Gone With the Wind and Casablanca and the rest are not really worthy in my opinion.
Just sayin' what? I didn't contradict myself.

Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the best this morning.

It's just sharing opinions for fun. If you don't like it, feel free not to participate.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-30-2011, 10:22 PM

Kamen Rider Faiz Paradise Lost is my favourite. That's a start.
(#40 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-02-2011, 10:06 PM

Everyone is going to have their favorite movies that spoke them somehow. Perhaps just use the number of tickets sold and use that as a base. Gone with the Wind is still Number 1 in total sales.

Last edited by Ryzorian : 05-03-2011 at 12:49 AM.