LinkBack Thread Tools
(#111 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-31-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
I'm flying to Tokyo on the 21st; I'll let you guys know what my second entry to Japan reaction is!

probably something mundane like 'oh it's hot and humid. I don't like airports. :/' But might be interesting if it's not.
Thanks Columbine, have a great time!

If it's anything like mine, it'll be a lot different :L
But that could be because I landed at a different airport this time. Will you be arriving at Narita or Haneda?
(#112 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-31-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
Thanks Columbine, have a great time!

If it's anything like mine, it'll be a lot different :L
But that could be because I landed at a different airport this time. Will you be arriving at Narita or Haneda?
I'll be landing at Narita which I've never been to before. Last time I landed at Kansai and departed from Osaka Ferry Port. That was quite an experience.
(#113 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-31-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I'll be landing at Narita which I've never been to before. Last time I landed at Kansai and departed from Osaka Ferry Port. That was quite an experience.
Woah, it sounds it.
Narita's a great airport to land at. The corridor from the gates to the baggage reclaim is very nice, with relaxing Japanese music playing with posters of Japan everywhere. At least, that's what it was like when I landed there :L

Last year I landed at and departed from Narita, and this year I landed at and departed from Haneda, so no experience of Southern Japanese airports yet.

Haneda was pretty suckish tbh... it had a nice Edo-style plaza on the second floor with expensive restaurants, but that's all it had going for it really. Everything else was pretty plain. But damn those restaurants... a pizza and a glass of Coke set me back over 2000 Yen...
(#114 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

07-31-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Woah, it sounds it.
Narita's a great airport to land at. The corridor from the gates to the baggage reclaim is very nice, with relaxing Japanese music playing with posters of Japan everywhere. At least, that's what it was like when I landed there :L

Last year I landed at and departed from Narita, and this year I landed at and departed from Haneda, so no experience of Southern Japanese airports yet.
I didn't spend much time in Kansai airport. Baggage reclaim was easy to find, immigration was pretty quick. I think I bought a coffee, and I don't remember it being terrible. :/ It's actually smaller than I thought it would be. I bet Narita's bigger!
(#115 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

07-31-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I didn't spend much time in Kansai airport. Baggage reclaim was easy to find, immigration was pretty quick. I think I bought a coffee, and I don't remember it being terrible. :/ It's actually smaller than I thought it would be. I bet Narita's bigger!
Well, it is a bit larger! It has two distinct terminals, 1 and 2 (go figure!) T1 is for ANA and most European airlines, and T2 is for JAL and a few others (You'll probably go to the older T1). The only time I used T1 was leaving in 1989, so I know it's different now. Back then it was brutal to have 4 747s taking off within an hour and having all those passengers in one of those round departure lobbies....

I used T2 both in 2005 and 2010 since I fly JAL. All the processes are quick and simple, so you won't have any issues....

I only used Haneda to land from a domestic flight on Japan Air System from Misawa. I was then shuttled to Narita for my Northwest Airlines flight back in '89.... It was pouring that day and the Haneda to Narita trip was damned near 3 hours....
(#116 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

07-31-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
Well, it is a bit larger! It has two distinct terminals, 1 and 2 (go figure!) T1 is for ANA and most European airlines, and T2 is for JAL and a few others (You'll probably go to the older T1). The only time I used T1 was leaving in 1989, so I know it's different now. Back then it was brutal to have 4 747s taking off within an hour and having all those passengers in one of those round departure lobbies....

I used T2 both in 2005 and 2010 since I fly JAL. All the processes are quick and simple, so you won't have any issues....

I only used Haneda to land from a domestic flight on Japan Air System from Misawa. I was then shuttled to Narita for my Northwest Airlines flight back in '89.... It was pouring that day and the Haneda to Narita trip was damned near 3 hours....
hahah, I've heard Narita's pretty much a breeze to get through and much more interesting than Haneda, so I'm not worried. I don't think I'll have much time to do much other than go through immigration and baggage claim before I get picked up. At least it's not my first time wrangling with big airports XD. Thanks for the Info. I'm flying BA so I imagine i'll be in T1 then.
(#117 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

07-31-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
hahah, I've heard Narita's pretty much a breeze to get through and much more interesting than Haneda, so I'm not worried. I don't think I'll have much time to do much other than go through immigration and baggage claim before I get picked up. At least it's not my first time wrangling with big airports XD. Thanks for the Info. I'm flying BA so I imagine i'll be in T1 then.
If you're flying BA from LHR, I think you use T2, which is a far longer corridor, unless you get a gate close to the center! Yours is a 09:05 arrival, right?
(#118 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

07-31-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
But is that any reason for you to go crazy with happiness when you land? I mean, there's only so long one can be fascinated with the people and society.
How in the World can you get tired of lovely, kind heartwarming people everywhere?? Every day will be like heaven down there for me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
Maybe he will freak out and kiss the floor and run around like a chicken with its head cut off.... And maybe the authorities will see this, deem him mentally incompetent and deny him entry to his wonderful utopia.... He will then go on a rampage and then get arrested, deported and forever denied entry....
a little too much time on your hand mhh lol
(#119 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

07-31-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
How in the World can you get tired of lovely, kind heartwarming people everywhere?? Every day will be like heaven down there for me!!
You're tired of Germans and westerners in general,
Westerners are very lovely, kind heartwarming people! And they're everywhere!
Why would you ever want to leave, every day must be like heaven for you!

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#120 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

07-31-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Every day will be like heaven down there for me!!
And here I thought it was only your head that was in the clouds....

or are you talking about some other part of your anatomy? ewww