JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Liumingke (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to Liumingke
Newbie Here - 03-28-2008, 06:27 PM

I've wanted to learn Japanese for a long time and would like some help. I'm a beginner but who like to make some language partner friends. Can anybody tell me what "mishi mishi" means in Japanese? No, not "moshi moshi" that's what you say on the phone. My wife seems to think it means "eat eat". I told her I never heard of that phrase. "Taberu" is to eat that I know. Thanks.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

03-29-2008, 12:54 AM

hadn't heard this one before but checked the dictionary:
ミシミシ; みしみし (adv,adv-to,vs) creaking; groaning (e.g. of something under physical stress)
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

03-29-2008, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liumingke View Post
I've wanted to learn Japanese for a long time and would like some help. I'm a beginner but who like to make some language partner friends. Can anybody tell me what "mishi mishi" means in Japanese? No, not "moshi moshi" that's what you say on the phone. My wife seems to think it means "eat eat". I told her I never heard of that phrase. "Taberu" is to eat that I know. Thanks.
If your wife heard it in anime or drama where someone is starting on a meal, then it should be 'meshi meshi'. It means "eat eat" in a masculine speech as she guessed. The kanji (han zi) for 'meshi' is 飯.

But if it is indeed 'mishimishi' that was said, then it's the Japanese onomatopoeia meaning what anrakushi stated above.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Liumingke (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to Liumingke
03-29-2008, 02:54 AM

Thanks! I think it's "meshi,meshi" then. She's not the only one that has said "mishi mishi" erroneously. Now I can tell all her friends it's not "mishi mishi" it's (me)shi (me)shi.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Christene (Offline)
New to JF

I was way out there.... - 02-17-2011, 02:54 AM

I thought MishiMishi, was slang for Grandma! :giggles:
(#6 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-17-2011, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christene View Post
I thought MishiMishi, was slang for Grandma! :giggles:
Is there any reason you would bump a two-year old thread to make a pointless comment as your first post ever?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Christene (Offline)
New to JF

Nothing is ever pointless... - 02-17-2011, 03:13 AM

When I did a google search for something, this is the thread that came up! I honestly didn't even look at the date, as I am exhausted.

I wonder even more so, why you would make such a negative and rude comment to me... as a newcomer and my first post! Thank you, I feel welcomed!

I promise to make sure I check dates more carefully, from here on out... as I do not want to disrupt your day!

Have a Blessed Evening,
Chrissy
(#8 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-17-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
I wonder even more so, why you would make such a negative and rude comment to me... as a newcomer and my first post! Thank you, I feel welcomed!
1. In general, it is considered rude to bump old threads on forums across the Internet. This has been a general rule on the Internet for over a decade. I'm becoming an old, cranky man who easily upsets when people don't know the rules. *grumble grumble* See this post for an interesting relevant discussion: Eternal September - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. It wasted my time. I check threads with new posts for questions to answer. I started reading the thread through to see what needed to be answered, and only because I recognized one of the posters as someone who "retired" from this board

3. I didn't think there was actually a person behind the post. It looked like a bot to me.

4. Out of curiosity, how did you get to this thread? Did you google "mishi mishi"?

5. Stop posturing; what I wrote didn't offend you, and you're playing the hurt lamb. There's no way what I wrote actually could hurt anyone's feelings for real.

I'm sorry I upset you. I look forward to seeing you post here. Please have a look at the rules here, too. And don't forget that there's a search bar if you have a question like "how do I learn Japanese" that has probably been answered a brazillion times.

And in case you're here for this reason: It's not a good idea to get a Japanese tattoo if you don't speak Japanese.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 02-17-2011 at 03:50 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Christene (Offline)
New to JF

Dear Sir.... - 02-17-2011, 04:00 AM

I apologize if you read I was upset or had hurt feelings in my message, as I didn't type that! I said, you were being rude and negative!

If you like to think I am acting as a hurt lamb, than so be it! It's your opinion. I was standing up for my misunderstanding, that was made! However, you apparently don't see the actual words being typed, as your ego blocks your view.

I am a nice girl and I joined this forum to better inform myself, as my 5-year-old Twins are taking Japanese. I did not join this Forum to debate ridiculous misunderstandings. Let's be done with this!

Who knows, you might find out that you like me (people in general) and in the future we could have great conversations and I might even learn a lot from you in the midst of them!

Thank You Ever So,
Chrissy

Many Blessings,
Christene (Chrissy)
(#10 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-17-2011, 04:04 AM

Quote:
I apologize if you read I was upset or had hurt feelings in my message, as I didn't type that! I said, you were being rude and negative!

If you like to think I am acting as a hurt lamb, than so be it! It's your opinion. I was standing up for my misunderstanding, that was made! However, you apparently don't see the actual words being typed, as your ego blocks your view.

I am a nice girl and I joined this forum to better inform myself, as my 5-year-old Twins are taking Japanese. I did not join this Forum to debate ridiculous misunderstandings. Let's be done with this!

Who knows, you might find out that you like me (people in general) and in the future we could have great conversations and I might even learn a lot from you in the midst of them!

Thank You Ever So,
Chrissy
You seem like a cool lady. I regret being an ass to you but am leaving up my post to show people that YES KYLE CAN SOMETIMES BE A JERK.

There are cultural differences in the way different age groups behave on forums. Given that you have five-year old twins, I'm guessing you're in the age group immediately above mine, which suggests why your post evoked the response I gave. But knowing your background now, it makes more sense.