JapanForum.com  

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
07-13-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

Actually this is far from the worst idea I have seen.
Drunk Whore?

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you
(#12 (permalink))
Old
2rri (Offline)
New to JF

07-13-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Just curious, who told you kanji was the best way to write this?

I think your welcome here was not warm, and it is partially my fault, but your suspicions are correct, and kanji tattoo advice is commonly requested here. Some requesters are more sincere than others. I hope you will excuse the attack dogs.
I was told so on another forum similar to this one. Can't remember the name of it though, and it didn't pop up on Google either.

The reason why I am considering getting it written in Japanese is, as I stated earlier, that I like the culture and history of the country and I thought it could be a good idea to incorporate that into it.

On the subject of the attack dogs, I suppose I could've searched a bit more in this forum before posting this thread, so I suppose I should take some of the blame myself.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-13-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailboy View Post
Drunk Whore?
Pretty much

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rri View Post
I was told so on another forum similar to this one. Can't remember the name of it though, and it didn't pop up on Google either.

The reason why I am considering getting it written in Japanese is, as I stated earlier, that I like the culture and history of the country and I thought it could be a good idea to incorporate that into it.

On the subject of the attack dogs, I suppose I could've searched a bit more in this forum before posting this thread, so I suppose I should take some of the blame myself.
I think if you were looking to honor Japanese culture, a word or phrase that was originally Japanese makes a little more sense to me...as I think the phrase you have chose is hard enough to understand in English, much less Japanese, despite the official translations.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
2rri (Offline)
New to JF

07-13-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I think if you were looking to honor Japanese culture, a word or phrase that was originally Japanese makes a little more sense to me...as I think the phrase you have chose is hard enough to understand in English, much less Japanese, despite the official translations.
This may be a total miss, but is there a Japanese phrase or saying that is similar? I'm still looking at options and nothing is written in stone yet, so I'm open for suggestions.

What I want this tattoo to say is that although the shit has hit the fan, things will get better.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-13-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
This may be a total miss, but is there a Japanese phrase or saying that is similar? I'm still looking at options and nothing is written in stone yet, so I'm open for suggestions.

What I want this tattoo to say is that although the shit has hit the fan, things will get better.
The best one I can think of off the top of my head is a Okinawa expression:

なんくるないさ

This basically means no matter how bad things seem, they will always get better.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
2rri (Offline)
New to JF

07-14-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
The best one I can think of off the top of my head is a Okinawa expression:

なんくるないさ

This basically means no matter how bad things seem, they will always get better.
Is that Hiragana?
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-14-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Is that Hiragana?
Yes, this phrase seems to be only in hiragana.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
07-14-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Yes, this phrase seems to be only in hiragana.
I first heard this in Blood+

Pretty much one of the (extremely) few acceptable Japanese tattoos.

Like if you got it in a concealed spot and it had a significant meaning to you.
(imo)

There are some things that just loose it's value when translated into Japanese. I think this person's idea is one of those. Not to mention I'm totally opposed to Kanji tattoos.

Getting this in it's original Latin script would look a lot "cooler" and be a much better idea.

猿も木から落ちる
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-14-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
I first heard this in Blood+
Actually, that's where I first heard it, too.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-14-2009, 04:26 AM

Getting a Japanese anecdote makes a little more sense.

And for the record, Kanji is Chinese (in origin). So getting it because you respect Japanese culture is kind of a mute-point.
Closed Thread