LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-14-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
Getting a Japanese anecdote makes a little more sense.

And for the record, Kanji is Chinese (in origin). So getting it because you respect Japanese culture is kind of a mute-point.
No need to nit-pick. Kanji is just as much a part of Japanese culture as chopsticks and raw fish.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

07-14-2009, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
Getting a Japanese anecdote makes a little more sense.

And for the record, Kanji is Chinese (in origin). So getting it because you respect Japanese culture is kind of a mute-point.
*seconds MMM's comments*

And it's "moot point". So many people have been getting that wrong lately, it's becoming annoying.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
07-14-2009, 07:10 AM

I'm personally a fan of the kanji tattoo I got. I did a complete scan, and researched my butt off. And, I like the end result. :] Certainly not the last Japanese-themed tattoo I'll have.

My next tattoo idea is a very certain lightning demon with a classic clay bomb in his mouth.

As for getting a LATIN phrase in Japanese...? I dunno... I don't recommend it.

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Heaven or Hell, Let's Rock!

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

Send a message via AIM to JackIsLost
07-14-2009, 08:54 AM

get the 9 tail demon seal on your belly. not only will it look cool it will give you power. i always thought that kanji tattoos were dumb, what's the purpose in having a tattoo that you don't understand but had to look up or ask about? tattoo's are about something meaningful and personal, looking something up because you think others will bring up a conversation about "what does that say" "i think it says blah blah" is pretty lame.

うんこ漏らした。

my gun is bigger than your gun
(#25 (permalink))
Old
2rri (Offline)
New to JF

07-14-2009, 09:40 AM

Hi guys!

First of all, thank you for your time and advice! I guess I may have been a bit hasty on thinking about getting it done in Kanji, thinking it could most likely be easily translated, just like Norwegian and English (I'm Norwegian) I can see that this isn't the case, so I suppose I should reconsider and do some more research.

@ alanX: The thing about getting it in a concealed place is that I want to see it everyday as a reminder. Without becoming to emotional, I used to struggle a lot with depressions and anxiety. That is why I liked the latin phrase. The reason why I thought it may be a good idea to get in in Kanji was to incorporate my interest in Japan into it. The way MMM described it to me was actually appealing. The part about it looking incomplete. This is because I'm not done with it all, and when I am I want it as a reminder of the way to get there.

@ JackIsLost: No, I will not get that, as it has no significant meaning to me. Yeah, cool imagery, cool story, but I can't link to it personally.

If you were to read
星へ
by itself, what would that mean? After the little I know I read it as 'to the star'

Last edited by 2rri : 07-14-2009 at 10:38 AM.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

Send a message via AIM to JackIsLost
07-14-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rri View Post
Hi guys!

First of all, thank you for your time and advice! I guess I may have been a bit hasty on thinking about getting it done in Kanji, thinking it could most likely be easily translated, just like Norwegian and English (I'm Norwegian) I can see that this isn't the case, so I suppose I should reconsider and do some more research.

@ alanX: The thing about getting it in a concealed place is that I want to see it everyday as a reminder. Without becoming to emotional, I used to struggle a lot with depressions and anxiety. That is why I liked the latin phrase. The reason why I thought it may be a good idea to get in in Kanji was to incorporate my interest in Japan into it. The way MMM described it to me was actually appealing. The part about it looking incomplete. This is because I'm not done with it all, and when I am I want it as a reminder of the way to get there.

@ JackIsLost: No, I will not get that, as it has no significant meaning to me. Yeah, cool imagery, cool story, but I can't link to it personally.

If you were to read
星へ
by itself, what would that mean? After the little I know I read it as 'to the star'
i think you should take an elementary japanese language course. after that you will realize that is an incomplete sentence. hard to describe because i'm only elementary level. i was joking about the nine tail demon seal on your belly, i was just comparing how utterly pointless it is to get something you don't understand.

Edit: i just showed my JAPANESE girlfriend 星へ and she says it's so freakin' dumb. "sounds like you are going to die soon, because we think that when we die we are going to be the stars." so... yeah... it's not complete so nobody knows what to think but assume.

うんこ漏らした。

my gun is bigger than your gun

Last edited by JackIsLost : 07-14-2009 at 01:09 PM.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
07-14-2009, 08:52 PM

I already knew what kanji to use. It's better to check and re-check though, just in case.

I read in a tattoo magazine about this guy who asked a Chinese cook at a Chinese cuisine if he could write down, in Chinese, the guy's name so that he could get it as a tattoo. A few days afterward, the guy fond out it meant Coca-Cola. Hah.

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-15-2009, 01:37 AM

You should get this tattooed:

漢字で全部は神秘だ

Reminds me of my favorite Latin phrase: Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-15-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
The best one I can think of off the top of my head is a Okinawa expression:

なんくるないさ

This basically means no matter how bad things seem, they will always get better.
Cool. About the only kanji you could insert anyway would be 来 in there, because 何 would be read as なに.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

07-16-2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
You should get this tattooed:

漢字で全部は神秘だ

Reminds me of my favorite Latin phrase: Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
Which means...?

Closed Thread