LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

02-13-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesssymphony View Post
the Japanese are also very resistant to foreigners working in their country, Japan's economy is in the toilet with a only 0.6% increase in GDP over the recent years, with Japan not being a welfare state unemployment = very bad so with high unemployment rates they do not want Gaijin taking jobs Japanese can do. If you really really want to work in the manga/anime industry consider looking at being a translator or working with an American company because the truth is the Japanese aren't interested, doesn't matter if your the next miyozaki

where do you get your information??

Japan:
Unemployment 4.1% (2006 est.)
GDP 2.8% (2006 est.)

From looking at quite a few news reports of quarter performance just now i could see quarter growth ranging from 2.3 to as much as 5.5 over various quarters in the past few years.

EDIT: just wanted to add, with Japan's ageing population, if they are wanting to maintain their economy they are going to have to rely of foreign workers to come into the country and fill the gaps of a decreasing workforce. The long term doesn't look bright for Japan unless it does indeed turn to foreign workers.

Last edited by anrakushi : 02-13-2008 at 08:44 AM.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-13-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
as far as I can see, most crimes in japan are psychologically related.
Huh? Crime in Japan are done for the same reasons as anywhere else...
(#23 (permalink))
Old
jpdrag0n (Offline)
日本頑張れ!

02-14-2008, 05:36 AM

i was reading through the OP's first couple posts and she said she learned to draw from anime tutorial books or something? ok thats not a good start. we're obviously dealing with a little kid who doesnt know anything about the world. she watched too much anime it seems...

そんな関係ねぇ!

HERO OF JAPAN
(#24 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-14-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdrag0n View Post
i was reading through the OP's first couple posts and she said she learned to draw from anime tutorial books or something? ok thats not a good start. we're obviously dealing with a little kid who doesnt know anything about the world. she watched too much anime it seems...
Give her a break. I am sure you were perfectly grounded and worldy when you were 13, too.

(How else can someone learn how to draw like their favorite manga artists?)
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Katchan6 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-14-2008, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xYinniex View Post
Have you been to japan then?

manga and anime are different things
cutting and pasting is basically what a manga artist does all day.

look, i commend you for your enthusiasm, but you are alittle bit too naiive to think that it's heaven. Not everyone is friendly and cute and there are equally good looking boys any where else in the world, there are large numbers of bad guys, perverts and jerks in japan. The yakuza would kill you if you disagreed with them.

we're just saying that japan isn't an entirely lovely place. it can be beutiful, but some things just aren't like murder and rape. It's not heaven, heaven is a place where all good people are and no bad incidents happen- japan is not that.

how do you know there is so much romance, in fact, statistics show that there is a youth crisis in japan, people don't want to marry. THEY DONT WANT ROMANCE, they want singledom

I strongly advise you to get a grip of yourself and learn some common sense and a few facts about Japan first before even making your ambitions as a manga/anime artist.
aw why is (almost) everyone so negative? sure japan isnt the safest place in the world but the almost 10 times ive been to japan, i've never any scary incidents, no rape, murder, no ones felt me on the train, never seen yakuza lol
i love it there, its heaven for me too
and wtf, not everyone wants singledom...
theres still a lot of romance in japan
its not like nekochan is going there tomorrow
nekochan, just take japanese lessons, keep drawing and never give up

「えっ、知らないの? ずくだんずんぶんぐんゲーム。」
(#26 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
02-14-2008, 10:49 AM

yeah.. neko chan gambarou ze!

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#27 (permalink))
Old
Sachiko (Offline)
*waves*

02-14-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdrag0n View Post
Jeeeez some people can be heartless!!!
For one, I admire her passion it's pretty rare to find people so driven in this world. I mean at least she has an aspiration!!!!
Secondly, she has PLEANTY of time to become an amazing anime/manga artist and for the sake of sticking it back to people like you...I HOPE SHE DOES BECOME ONE!
Thirdly, Quit trying to scare her off!!! how would you like it if you were little again and had a dream of being "whatever"...then one day, some randoms come up to you and tell you that your dream's not worth pursuing... because however much you might deny it... by focusing on all the downsides THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE DOING!~ plus things like this exist EVERYWHERE not only in japan!
honestly, If she can see the beauty in Japan for what it is, then just leave the poor girl alone!!! I for one love Japan despite what others may say and to me- it is heaven!!!

Good Luck neko-chan!

sure has been a while...
(#28 (permalink))
Old
jpdrag0n (Offline)
日本頑張れ!

02-14-2008, 04:24 PM

whew...sorry if i offended the entire JF community here...jeez. im jus pointing out that its a little ridiculous that people think they can just waltz into japan and expect to be handed a job working at a company dealing with anime just because theyre good at drawing. im sorry to break the news to you but as some of you know, being caucasian or whatever you may be, if youre not japanese things are tougher from the start.

secondly, if you havent lived in japan you cant really comment on what japan is really like. if youve only come here for vacation, of course everything seems great. i mean i could go to the green zone in baghdad and say, 'wow...iraq is nice...its pretty safe here eh?' only after living here do you realize the things that go on that you normally wouldnt see if you only came here for vacation.

そんな関係ねぇ!

HERO OF JAPAN
(#29 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-14-2008, 05:19 PM

We're not trying to shatter her dream or scare her off. She, and all the others with a dream, should work toward it and try to make it happen. But I think a teenager is old enough to hear a bit of reality too, and the uber-genki w/ smilies kinds of posters just sound to me like no one has ever given them that dose of reality.

Ok, forget the sensationalist crimes (which are relatively rare in Japan anyway), just the ordinary fact of living in a foreign country can be difficult. Reading a newspaper, listening to TV or movies, having deep, meaningful conversations with people can be hard or impossible due to the language barrier. There are also many cultural differences to get used to, and a different work environment than many western countries. You will always stand out as a gaijin, which has many positive effects (you can be treated like a mini-celebrity at times), but some negatives too (you may feel like an outsider, Japanese constantly assume you don't know anything, etc). You'll get homesick for friends and family back home, no matter how much fun you have in Japan, or how many new friends you make. I made lots of new friends, and I had an incredible time over there, but I missed my parents, my brother, my best friends since 3rd grade, etc. And when you do return home for a visit or whatever, your friends and family can never really understand all the things you experienced and felt living in a very foreign country, halfway around the world.

Again, this ISN'T meant to scare anyone off. Far from it. I went to Japan to live and work for 2 years, and I can honestly say it was the most incredible time of my life (and I say that with 10 years of perspective being back in the US). It was a life-changing experience, and one that I cherish so strongly, I still talk about it on Japan Forums and the JET forum to this day. I encourage people to go to Japan if that is their dream, but do it with open eyes. Living and working in Japan will not all be super-happy-fun time, and knowing that ahead of time will help you to weather the culture shock, the homesickness, and the hard times.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#30 (permalink))
Old
jpdrag0n (Offline)
日本頑張れ!

02-14-2008, 05:41 PM

yes what samurai said is what i wanted to say. nicely worded. anyways i am in no way trying to tell the OP to not pursue her dreams because that would be ridiculous on my part. like samurai said, im just trying to get people to think things through before they make decisions...especially big ones like moving to foreign countries to work, etc.

そんな関係ねぇ!

HERO OF JAPAN