JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#121 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-03-2008, 01:42 AM

One of the things you look at when considering working for a company is vacation time. A job is not just about the pay, you have to look at things like insurance, sick time, holiday pay, and the like. One thing I do like about Japan is the fact that Japanese law requires all employers to give ten days off after 6 months of employment. In American companies you typically get one week off after your first year, and then two weeks off after your second.
(#122 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

06-03-2008, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayci View Post
This is why I love people like MMM so much. Realistic, whether we agree or not. (But in this case, it's the former)

As a junior in high school, I'm struggling...not because I'm stupid, but because it's hard to keep me on track, especially with the past few hard years going on. (No excuse, I know. trying to recover)

I'm making plans to go to a community college up north cali, like san jose or san fran...maybe the tokai university in hawaii when possible.

I'm going because in certain classes in high school, I struggled or have no interest, like math. I got a high school on the CAHSEE, but that's easy anyways...however, it seems to go on from community to university.
My main focus however, is languages. I'll inquire more about taking multiple languages at community, for english is just too boring to be my only language ;D

I know enough japanese to keep conversations and get around, but I will go back to very beginning. I'll be taking chinese in senior year, continue on with it, so I'll see if it's possible to take three languages, along with my catching up classes. (Chinese, Korean, and Japanese)

however, if it's possible to do schooling in japan or Korea, I'll jump at the chance.

I used to be against teaching english in japan, however. I LIED and said it was "beneath me", but really, it's prolly above me. I would make a bad teacher, I fear, and if by some chance I did get to be, that job maybe taken over already with the popularity the idea's given. Basically, I'm scared.

I want to give up my USA citizenship and be considered a "Japanese Citizen" if possible by my 50th birthday.
But on the other hand, I'm afraid of the difficulties behind that too, as one way I'm considering to learn languages in a military linguistics school, where you have to serve, and to me, it wouldn't prolly make sense to the japanese government to give one who served another countrie's fighting/protection force citizenship. (Sorry if this made no sense in proper english. My thoughts are a scramble.)

I know japan is not a perfect society. I know it's VERY difficult, and money is indeed "king".
Plus education. And that I'm a easy-come, easy go person, I guess you can say. I don't act ambitious, unlike most of my japanese friends.

However, I do want to be there. If citizenship isn't allowed, I rather live there for a least a decade, then move somewhere back in US or UK, and just go back every year for visits and such.

By the way, I keep hearing of "JET" program, and other stuff.
Could anyone PM me more info on these programs?
Maybe that could help...

Sorry for such a long post MMM, but any comments/advice/etc would be appreciated. ^^;
You have the order a little wrong. In Japan, education is king. If your resume shows you attended Tokyo University, you will have no shortage of job offers, and you will have little trouble making good money.

Japanese know this, so they work as hard as they can in junior high and high school so they have a chance at passing the entrance exams from the better universities. The exams are very difficult, though the courses at the "best" universities are not any more difficult than those of lesser schools, and are actually easier than the courses at many western (American/European) universities.

If you want a good job in Japan, you need to attend a good school.
(#123 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-03-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
One of the things you look at when considering working for a company is vacation time. A job is not just about the pay, you have to look at things like insurance, sick time, holiday pay, and the like. One thing I do like about Japan is the fact that Japanese law requires all employers to give ten days off after 6 months of employment. In American companies you typically get one week off after your first year, and then two weeks off after your second.
Japanese law may require companies to give them the vacation, but Japanese law doesn't require them to take it.
(#124 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
06-03-2008, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Wow...benefits! Something else I've never had, and I've worked in offices. If I get into JET, that would be my first job with some type of benefits...like health insurance. I so miss having that, but I've never had a job that's offered me it.

Anyway, my father has been at the same company for almost 20 years, and he only gets 3 weeks vacation. Sad, isn't it?
(#125 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-03-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Wow...benefits! Something else I've never had, and I've worked in offices. If I get into JET, that would be my first job with some type of benefits...like health insurance. I so miss having that, but I've never had a job that's offered me it.

Anyway, my father has been at the same company for almost 20 years, and he only gets 3 weeks vacation. Sad, isn't it?
Well 3 weeks vacation is considered decent, many company still give 2 and you don't get 3 until you hit like 10 or 15 years of services. Guess I am just lucky that they gave me 4 per year to start with

But what you said earlier someowhat inspired me to say something that is along the line of what MMM originally posted. I think it is true that the priveledge to travel also belong to those who can afford it, in terms of both money and time. And to get that, you really need to land a good job that offers both. And this type of job NEEDS a University/College degree.

Not suggesting that the University/College degree will guaratnee it, but not having one will definitely not help

MMM I feel your pain, so are you still working as a translator? I guess being self employed also mean that you manage your own time. One of my ex-partner in photography decided to withdraw from our operation and go freelance, he quit his full time job and basically take pictures for a living, self employed as well of course, with a small home studio. It sounds great, but I guess in that field, it will end up what you are doing, not taking vacation at all.
(#126 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-03-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Well 3 weeks vacation is considered decent, many company still give 2 and you don't get 3 until you hit like 10 or 15 years of services. Guess I am just lucky that they gave me 4 per year to start with

But what you said earlier someowhat inspired me to say something that is along the line of what MMM originally posted. I think it is true that the priveledge to travel also belong to those who can afford it, in terms of both money and time. And to get that, you really need to land a good job that offers both. And this type of job NEEDS a University/College degree.

Not suggesting that the University/College degree will guaratnee it, but not having one will definitely not help

MMM I feel your pain, so are you still working as a translator? I guess being self employed also mean that you manage your own time. One of my ex-partner in photography decided to withdraw from our operation and go freelance, he quit his full time job and basically take pictures for a living, self employed as well of course, with a small home studio. It sounds great, but I guess in that field, it will end up what you are doing, not taking vacation at all.
Like any position, there is give and take. I don't have benefits like insurance paid for or paid vacation, but if I want to go to Japan for six weeks, I can. I often work past midnight, but at the same time, can sleep in until 10 in the morning if I like. Always options... but options I probably wouldn't have without a university degree.
(#127 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
06-04-2008, 12:06 AM

I wish I could be self employed. I don't have any skills to utilize for something like that. Back in about the mid 90s, I was highly interested in doing translation for a living (Spanish...later on, late 90s, I grew interested in Japanese language, but had no place to learn it), but after not getting into the university of my choice, I decided not to bother, and stick with business since that's where most of my background was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
I think it's bad in general, though, that other countries offer their employees that much at the start, and we have to work for 10 or 15 years just to get that. I think companies here should offer more paid vacation time to their employees as opposed to having them work like dogs for decades, literally, just to have the opportunity to take a month off. Seriously, I worked at SunTrust in their government insuring department. I knew I was being screwed for the most part, but there wasn't much I could do about it. I was allowed one week a year, no pay, and also couldn't carry days over, because of the job they had me hired for. *rolls eyes*
Quote:
Very much true, which is why I sucked it up, and went back to finish my degree. I quit schooling about six, seven years ago because I was tired of going to different schools (business, tech) and college and not getting any work experience in the process, since seems I always got overlooked for jobs where I was definitely qualified for in terms of knowledge, but I lacked in actual experience. Getting a job was tough then because it conflicted with my class schedule and I couldn't do both.
Quote:
Yep. I'm mostly working on the degree so that I can apply for JET, but to also better my chances of getting a decent job.
(#128 (permalink))
Old
akisan (Offline)
New to JF

06-04-2008, 09:45 AM

then i suppose its good that i plan on going to college for 8 years......XD

which i am doing as up this moment. but that off topic, as though i may only be 17,(very young) i understand that japan isnt a lala land full of anime....etc..but of course i respect, its half of who i am...i have relatives there. i plan on visiting them soon too. i hope it will help my japanese alot.
since they only come over for thanks giveing here in america, but thats off topic as well......

it is sad to see evryone jsut wna go to japan for the anime..i suppose its a reason. if that what they realy want, who am i to stop them?

of course i am just as young......

fools thoughts are in there mouths,

a wise mans words are in his heart.
(#129 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-04-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akisan View Post
then i suppose its good that i plan on going to college for 8 years......XD

which i am doing as up this moment. but that off topic, as though i may only be 17,(very young) i understand that japan isnt a lala land full of anime....etc..but of course i respect, its half of who i am...i have relatives there. i plan on visiting them soon too. i hope it will help my japanese alot.
since they only come over for thanks giveing here in america, but thats off topic as well......

it is sad to see evryone jsut wna go to japan for the anime..i suppose its a reason. if that what they realy want, who am i to stop them?

of course i am just as young......

Its more than the Anime, a lot of them were attracted by the mix culture, but as you pointed out, a lot of people just want to go there without knowing how or what they are getting in to

MMM, I totally agree with you, there will also be 2 sides to everything. For me, I can totally start something and be self employed, but I am also scared of instability, so I choose to work in the corporate world and earn a limited income, but I get paid while having fun so its all good. My income is probably not as hign as some of the people that is like yourself (self employed), but its good enough and its steady....

Career choices is a tough decision, how you manage your career path will dictate how well you live in the future and what you can afford. And to have a good career, you need the education
(#130 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
06-06-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
You have the order a little wrong. In Japan, education is king. If your resume shows you attended Tokyo University, you will have no shortage of job offers, and you will have little trouble making good money.

Japanese know this, so they work as hard as they can in junior high and high school so they have a chance at passing the entrance exams from the better universities. The exams are very difficult, though the courses at the "best" universities are not any more difficult than those of lesser schools, and are actually easier than the courses at many western (American/European) universities.

If you want a good job in Japan, you need to attend a good school.
Hm...but it's hard to decide which school is good enough...
I think Tufts university...
Isn't known for abroad programs?

Coffee prevents me from killing you.