JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#171 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-03-2008, 03:08 AM

Public or private, as long as your school or university is nationally accredited it will be okay.

Some online colleges are not recognized as accredited by Japan, even if they are accredited in other countries. At the moment, University of Phoenix is the most well known school which is not acceptable to Japan. It's kind of a shame, because I was considering a masters degree program with them, I'm glad I didn't waste my money (even online universities are not cheap).
(#172 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-03-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Public or private, as long as your school or university is nationally accredited it will be okay.

Some online colleges are not recognized as accredited by Japan, even if they are accredited in other countries. At the moment, University of Phoenix is the most well known school which is not acceptable to Japan. It's kind of a shame, because I was considering a masters degree program with them, I'm glad I didn't waste my money (even online universities are not cheap).
Where can I find information on which colleges are "acceptable" and which aren't. I'd hate to apply for a job, where I finished getting my degree through a university online, since I am an adult and have to actually work, and then it turns out it doesn't even count by their standards.

What if the school is a regular university, as in traditional, but, had an online degree program, and was enrolled in that? I guess what I'm asking, is that what if the school isn't known for its online program...it just happens to have one.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 08-03-2008 at 12:24 PM.
(#173 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-03-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Where can I find information on which colleges are "acceptable" and which aren't. I'd hate to apply for a job, where I finished getting my degree through a university online, since I am an adult and have to actually work, and then it turns out it doesn't even count by their standards.

What if the school is a regular university, as in traditional, but, had an online degree program, and was enrolled in that? I guess what I'm asking, is that what if the school isn't known for its online program...it just happens to have one.
I have no idea about online universities. They confuse me greatly.

Do you mean taking online courses at say Virginia State? I don't see why that would matter because your degree with say "blahblahblah @ Virginia State University". I doubt it'll mention how you took the classes, whether online or on campus.
(#174 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-03-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rina26 View Post
I have no idea about online universities. They confuse me greatly.

Do you mean taking online courses at say Virginia State? I don't see why that would matter because your degree with say "blahblahblah @ Virginia State University". I doubt it'll mention how you took the classes, whether online or on campus.
Yep, that's pretty much what I mean. I'm attending, in the non-traditional sense, Ashford University. It's a liberal arts university, but, it's in Iowa, and as you can see, I live in Virginia. It'd be way too expensive and such to attend it in the traditional sense, so I'm finishing up my Bachelor's through one of their online programs.
(#175 (permalink))
Old
ACN (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to ACN
08-04-2008, 01:49 PM

Thanks for answering my post.
Anyway, is there some list of what school that is a "school of shame & school of fame" as SSJup81 ask: "Where can I find information on which colleges are "acceptable" and which aren't."

I will get bachelor at "University of Teesside" and it would be really boring if this school is on the "shame wall". Hehe.
(#176 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

08-04-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACN View Post
Thanks for answering my post.
Anyway, is there some list of what school that is a "school of shame & school of fame" as SSJup81 ask: "Where can I find information on which colleges are "acceptable" and which aren't."

I will get bachelor at "University of Teesside" and it would be really boring if this school is on the "shame wall". Hehe.
It would be ironic, eh? I'll be done with my degree early next year. I went to school years ago, just didn't finish it. I had a lot of credits, so I only had like a year left to go through Ashford. I started this past October.

I would hate for the school not counting only because I went through their online program as opposed to going on campus.
(#177 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

08-04-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
It would be ironic, eh? I'll be done with my degree early next year. I went to school years ago, just didn't finish it. I had a lot of credits, so I only had like a year left to go through Ashford. I started this past October.

I would hate for the school not counting only because I went through their online program as opposed to going on campus.
An online program should count just as a "regular" degree when it's a right school, shouldn't it? I mean does the degree should "bachelor in blabla" and not "bachelor in blabla (online edition)". But if you're worried, why not just call the school and ask them?

I don't think I could muster the discipline to study several years from home

なんでやねん!
(#178 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-06-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbaka View Post
An online program should count just as a "regular" degree when it's a right school, shouldn't it? I mean does the degree should "bachelor in blabla" and not "bachelor in blabla (online edition)". But if you're worried, why not just call the school and ask them?

I don't think I could muster the discipline to study several years from home
You got it right, I asked of the same question myself before as my master degree is from an online institute, the answer is that as long as the institute is an renowned and recognized school, online or not won't make much of a difference.

Some school offer both, the online was only an option to student who got lazy to travel, so if you are really worry, find one that also have a normal campus
(#179 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

08-06-2008, 05:58 PM

Laziness isn't always the issue. For adults, they have to work or have 9 to 5 jobs. It's just easier to do it online since you can't physically attend the classes, especially if they're during the day, and with night courses, it's usually like once a week where you have to sit like four or five hours or so to make up for the classes you can't attend as a traditional student. For a person like me, that's disastrous. For me, I can't take in that much information at one time and actually retain it.
(#180 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-06-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Laziness isn't always the issue. For adults, they have to work or have 9 to 5 jobs. It's just easier to do it online since you can't physically attend the classes, especially if they're during the day, and with night courses, it's usually like once a week where you have to sit like four or five hours or so to make up for the classes you can't attend as a traditional student. For a person like me, that's disastrous. For me, I can't take in that much information at one time and actually retain it.
I know its not, and I totally agree with you, my statement meant more like "for watever reason"...

Oh, and to clarify, when I said "Find one that has an actual campus", it means to find schol that doesn't ONLY do online, but you can still go ahead with the online classes