JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-03-2008, 10:56 PM

I have 1. I never took 3 or 4 - sat for 2 after figuring I`d probably have trouble with a number of the Kanji on 1 (which was probably true at the time), breezed through it with an almost perfect score... then took 1 the next year. Passed one with 80 something score because I suck at remembering all the readings of kanji and finding the ones that share readings.

I`ve considered taking it again, just to see if I`ve gotten any better in that area... But as it`s pass or fail and the scores aren`t really relevant, it seems a waste of money.

I think it`s great as a personal challenge. It gives you something to work for, and a clear indicator of how well you manage outside of your comfort zone. If you aren`t sure about taking 3, then take 4. It`s definitely better than taking 3 and not passing. Practice tests are occasionally much easier than the real thing. If your score was iffy there, work on perfecting it then head to the next level.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
OsakaPapa (Offline)
I <3 Osaka

Send a message via AIM to OsakaPapa
09-08-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Nah, I don't think so. It's pretty much a book for Japanese Language Proficiency Test: Grammar Exercises Level 3. I haven't come across any books yet with the JLPT mock tests off line.

One thing I do know that I need a lot of practice with is the listening portion. The percentage for it is low, but every bit helps.

The other thing I have is Japanese Kanji Flashcards, Volume 1, Third Edition: The Complete Set of Kanji Required for Levels 3 and 4 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test. I really do need to improve my Kanji and study it more than what I have.
I actually just went to Kinokuniya bookstore in New York City, and dropped about $90 on JLPT prep materials. I will be taking the 3-kyuu, so I got these two pretty think books, one with grammar/kanji/kana study materials that come with CDs, and another with tons of listening exercises that also comes with CDs. I also picked up the 2007 JLPT Level 3 & 4 Test Questions and Correct Answers book, that comes with a CD for the listening parts.

I have no idea where you'd find them online, but I can tell you the Q&A book was produced by JEES, Japan Educational Exchanges and Services, and the other two were by UNICOM. I really hope to utilize these, and pass with flying colors.

My biggest problem, by far, is kanji. The thing is, I know a lot of kanji for place names and actual names for people, but not so much for actual vocab. I could read the kanji for most of the major cities in Japan, most of the stops on the Yamanote Sen, and so forth, but when it comes to other types of kanji...not so good -_-;.

SSJup, if you ever find yourself in NYC any time soon, do stop by Kinokuniya :3

なんでやねん

- Studied in Tokyo for my 2007 Spring Semester. Lived in Ota-ku in the Ontakesan area. Pics can be found on my Facebook. Feel free to add me ^_^
(#13 (permalink))
Old
manners (Offline)
JF Regular

09-09-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsakaPapa View Post
I actually just went to Kinokuniya bookstore in New York City, and dropped about $90 on JLPT prep materials. I will be taking the 3-kyuu, so I got these two pretty think books, one with grammar/kanji/kana study materials that come with CDs, and another with tons of listening exercises that also comes with CDs. I also picked up the 2007 JLPT Level 3 & 4 Test Questions and Correct Answers book, that comes with a CD for the listening parts.

I have no idea where you'd find them online, but I can tell you the Q&A book was produced by JEES, Japan Educational Exchanges and Services, and the other two were by UNICOM. I really hope to utilize these, and pass with flying colors.

My biggest problem, by far, is kanji. The thing is, I know a lot of kanji for place names and actual names for people, but not so much for actual vocab. I could read the kanji for most of the major cities in Japan, most of the stops on the Yamanote Sen, and so forth, but when it comes to other types of kanji...not so good -_-;.

Good choice. Go through the grammar book and kanji book and then do the practice tests. I did the test last year and crammed the last two weeks before the test and came out with an 80% score.

Learn the kanji for verbs, adjectives etc and you should be ok.

Have a nice day
My Japan Blog Do your own research because this is not advice.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-10-2008, 02:30 PM

I'll be taking the level 4 test in Tokyo this December. I could possibly pass the level 3 test, but I thought I'd test the waters first. I don't see any necessity in my taking the test, I'm only doing it at my girlfriend's insistence. She aced her TOEIC test, and she's hoping that I'll do as well on the JLPT.

I'm more interested in the testing for my drivers license, which I'll be doing next month.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
09-14-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsakaPapa View Post
Do you know of an online place to get that? I don't have too many choices around here. I've looked, but no stores seem to have specifc JLPT stuff.
Quote:
Never mind. ^^;
Quote:
I'm thinking about whether or not I should take lvl 3 or 4 now. I suck with Kanji too. I took a practice lvl 3 test, and was crappy because I couldn't figure out the sentences since I couldn't figure out the Kanji written. The practice for lvl 4 was somewhat easy, though, in comparison. In a way, it's like I'm in between. I'd like to take all the levels, tbh.
Quote:
I wish I would've known about this earlier, like say, a month ago. My folks went to NY...I could've asked them to pick it up for me. lol I wish I could've gone with them. I haven't visited my family up there for a couple of years.

Sucks we can't all study together. lol

Last edited by SSJup81 : 09-14-2008 at 04:18 AM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Rogozhin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-14-2008, 03:01 PM

Cool, I'm so going to sit for this
(#17 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
09-14-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogozhin View Post
Cool, I'm so going to sit for this
What level?
(#18 (permalink))
Old
myrothantos (Offline)
New to JF

09-15-2008, 06:31 AM

I passed Level 2 about five years ago. It was one of the best things I ever did --- now I don't have to feel like other people think I'm one of those guys who says about 10 words of Japanese and thinks he speaks it, I have actual proof that I know at least a little bit about Japanese.

It's come in handy for job applications and stuff, even though I originally took it for a personal challenge. Even non-Japan related jobs, even if they don't know a thing about Japan or anything, seeing that you've taken the initiative to internationalize yourself in SOME WAY, as opposed to a college graduate who's never left his state and speaks one language, you're going to have a small step up.

Study up, take level 3. Take it seriously, be diligent, and you'll have no problem. Work up to Level 2, and you'll have an easier time getting Japan-related jobs, or applying for a Japanese university, and so on.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

09-15-2008, 07:00 AM

I forgot to mention that I found a copy of the lvl 4 JLPT from last year and tried that. I was half sleep, though, but I did try it. I ended up passing it, but with a crappy score, imo. I think a 68% or something like that. I did think about it, though...if I managed to get that half-sleep, I should be able to study really hard to get through the lvl 3 one. I still haven't tried the lvl 3 JLPT from 2007 to see what my weak points officially are yet, but as soon as I get the time, I'm going to just to see where I stand with that. Depending on what I get on that, then I'll decide on whether or not I'll take either lvl 3 or lvl 4. I only have a little over a week to make up my mind anyway.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Rogozhin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-15-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
What level?
Level 2, I don't think I'd have too much trouble with this one (based on what the practise exams were like)

Level 1 practise is hard...actually, it's not too bad...quite challenging though

Last edited by Rogozhin : 09-15-2008 at 07:22 AM.