JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dreamsandhopes (Offline)
New to JF

Exclamation my life long dream - 12-23-2008, 01:47 AM

my life long dream is to live in Tokyo japan i talk about this frequently to my parents and they call me a D*** fool i try to explain that japan is the most beautiful place I've ever seen i mean just the sights take my breath away i have gotten this dream since as long as i can remember but ever time i bring it up to anybody friends family coworkers tells me that's the most stupid idea that I've ever had but i know in my heart its where i belong but one of my good friends has also had this dream and he is also moving to japan when he is 18 we talk about this everyday at school well i know u have to get a good education if u want to move there im finishing high school in America and then planing to go to collage in japan when i turn 18 please help me on this journey and make my dreams come true? i would like to here some of ur stories about u moving to japan please?

one day my dreams will come true i must keep trying for failure is not a option!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-23-2008, 01:51 AM

You want to live in a place you've never visited because of a "feeling"? I had a feeling like that once - then she cheated on me and stole my cat.

Your friend thinks he's moving there when he's 18? Unless he's been accepted to a college there, I don't think so.

You're both D*** fools.

Oh! I wish I was in the land of Ramen
Otaku there are not downtrodden
Kawaii! Kawaii! Kawaii, Desu Ne!

MAXIMUM VIPER
Defender of the Scholar, Scourge of the Otaku, Savior of Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Arikado (Offline)
Elegant Rocker

Send a message via AIM to Arikado Send a message via MSN to Arikado
12-23-2008, 01:53 AM

No offense, but those are some pretty shallow friends and coworkers. I have yet to leave the Tokyo airport -.-;; but from what I've gathered from four years of learning Japanese and of Japanese culture, along with personal experiences of friends, it really is a beautiful place. Your dream is definitely no fantasy. I hope one day you finally fulfill that dream. I hope I get a chance myself, hahaha.

Member of the Metal Club
"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star" -孔夫子
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-23-2008, 03:27 AM

It sounds like you have some very supportive people close to you.

Look through this section and you will find many people like you. Specific questions will get specific answers.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Almazing1000 (Offline)
虚栄心、完全に私

Send a message via AIM to Almazing1000
12-23-2008, 04:36 AM

There is nothing wrong with your dream, as a matter of fact I think you should pursue it, however you have to be realistic. Unless you're sponsored by a school or work, you can't stay for longer than 90 days, and most schools require you to speak fluent Japanese. Honestly I think you should visit Nippon, before you decide you want to move there, you should never put all of your eggs in one basket. I know because I wanted to move to Osaka right out of high school , but I stayed in America for college instead . I would suggest finding a good school in America (University of Michigan) and then check out the JET Program, that may be the smoothest transition.
Good Luck!

And a piece of advice: Nippon is a Wonderland, however it's not for everybody. A lot of people find that out when it's too late.

Freedom of Speech = Me saying what I want when I want... Douche
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MutsuYakumo (Offline)
JF Regular

12-23-2008, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almazing1000 View Post
There is nothing wrong with your dream, as a matter of fact I think you should pursue it, however you have to be realistic. Unless you're sponsored by a school or work, you can't stay for longer than 90 days, and most schools require you to speak fluent Japanese. Honestly I think you should visit Nippon, before you decide you want to move there, you should never put all of your eggs in one basket. I know because I wanted to move to Osaka right out of high school , but I stayed in America for college instead . I would suggest finding a good school in America (University of Michigan) and then check out the JET Program, that may be the smoothest transition.
Good Luck!

And a piece of advice: Nippon is a Wonderland, however it's not for everybody. A lot of people find that out when it's too late.

OMG! You stayed in Tokyo with my uncle for 3 weeks, and decided that you wanted to come back to America for a girl... You suck! You better stay this time or it's your ass!

And kid if I were you I would start thinking of something else. You're not going to Japan, a lot of people are going to tell you it's possible and to keep trying, but it useless. Save yourself the hassle and just give up.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Arikado (Offline)
Elegant Rocker

Send a message via AIM to Arikado Send a message via MSN to Arikado
12-23-2008, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutsuYakumo View Post
And kid if I were you I would start thinking of something else. You're not going to Japan, a lot of people are going to tell you it's possible and to keep trying, but it useless. Save yourself the hassle and just give up.
Uh, why is it not possible to go to Japan? Anyone can visit any country they like if they want to. They don't even have to speak the language. People do that all the time. What's this about it being useless? I have a feeling you shouldn't be taken seriously.

Member of the Metal Club
"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star" -孔夫子
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MutsuYakumo (Offline)
JF Regular

12-23-2008, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arikado View Post
Uh, why is it not possible to go to Japan? Anyone can visit any country they like if they want to. They don't even have to speak the language. People do that all the time. What's this about it being useless? I have a feeling you shouldn't be taken seriously.
It's not possible if you don't have a fundamental reason. You can't just say "Oh Japan looks nice in this cartoon I want to go there." If they really wanted to go they would do the proper amount of research, and gather an adequate amount of information. But no they're asking other people to give them the answers, most of which haven't set foot on Japanese soil. When my parents wanted to move to America from Japan it was a lot of hard work, and a lot of people don't realize that. Out of all the people I hear say that they're going to Japan only one actually did, and that's because he's spoiled, and his Mom knew my family. There is no point in giving this kid with a half baked idea any false hope. I am to be taken seriously, I've seen my parents work very hard to get here, and I hate it when people make it seem like it's a piece of cake.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Almazing1000 (Offline)
虚栄心、完全に私

Send a message via AIM to Almazing1000
12-23-2008, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arikado View Post
I have a feeling you shouldn't be taken seriously.
Truth be told it wasn't an easy transition for him coming to America, they would have been better off in Nippon. And when we were in college he tried to help a lot of people who said they were interested in going to Nippon get there and most of them bailed on him. It's a really long and complicated story, but he's really passionate, and emotionally attached to this subject matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutsuYakumo View Post
OMG! You stayed in Tokyo with my uncle for 3 weeks, and decided that you wanted to come back to America for a girl...
You're crazy, I left because it was my freshman year and I had to get my things prepared to move in. Please take a chill pill.

Freedom of Speech = Me saying what I want when I want... Douche
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-23-2008, 06:10 AM

Why such a dream killer, MutsuYakumo? I mean, you have three posts, all really negative. Not a great way to start here.