JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Arikado (Offline)
Elegant Rocker

Send a message via AIM to Arikado Send a message via MSN to Arikado
12-23-2008, 06:21 AM

Matsu, there is no false hope here. Everyone has a chance to follow their dreams, don't try to crush them. My parents moved from Taiwan when I was two. I've moved so many times in my life, and I know the hardships and hard work that are involved to achieve a brighter future, don't think I don't understand what's involved. Hell, I've traveled coast to coast by car across the entire United States with my family so that we could live a better life. The point is, if you lose hope now, then you'll never have a chance to succeed and follow your dreams, so I say give him a chance.

Member of the Metal Club
"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star" -孔夫子
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MutsuYakumo (Offline)
JF Regular

12-23-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arikado View Post
Matsu, there is no false hope here. Everyone has a chance to follow their dreams, don't try to crush them. My parents moved from Taiwan when I was two. I've moved so many times in my life, and I know the hardships and hard work that are involved to achieve a brighter future, don't think I don't understand what's involved. Hell, I've traveled coast to coast by car across the entire United States with my family so that we could live a better life. The point is, if you lose hope now, then you'll never have a chance to succeed and follow your dreams, so I say give him a chance.
Ok. Your capabilities aren't in question his are. Now later on down the road if this kid gets his head in the game, stops dreaming and make some realistic goals, then I would be happy to have been proven wrong. But until then like anyone else who is a realist I doubt that it's something he'll see through to the end. Consider the other negativity in his life at some point that will set in. The odds are stacked against him. Sorry but that's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Why such a dream killer, MutsuYakumo? I mean, you have three posts, all really negative. Not a great way to start here.
Dude am I lying? Both threads that I read, and posted on were essentially the same thing, which have been posted before. I mean this is literally my first time sitting down and looking at the threads on this forum, some of the people seem cool, but the people who thinks that there is a quick answer to "moving to Japan" frustrates me to the point where they should hear the absolute truth. They have no interest in my culture, they have no interest in working for the opportunity to visit my country. They want to push "the easy button." I'm sure there are plenty of people here who worked hard, stuidied the language and customs, and I respect that. Hell my friend Al is the most spoiled guy I know and he worked his ass off for the opportunity to stay in Japan, because it's a privilege to visit Japan not a right. I love my country, and I think they should put real effort into visiting it.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
biginjapan (Offline)
JF Regular

12-23-2008, 08:20 AM

I actually agree with Mutsu. There are way too many people who dream of going to Japan because it looks mystical from anime and movies. Get real! Its a country just like any other. I happen to like it because after studying abroad there for a year I made great friends and really enjoyed the lifestyle there. Go to college then study abroad in Japan. If you like it then make plans to go back for a longer period of time. Just don't wing it because you have a "feeling" you were meant to be there.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Arikado (Offline)
Elegant Rocker

12-23-2008, 08:24 AM

It's realistic to go someplace because of your hobbies, and I don't see how it isn't. A lot of people go to Japan because of this. They want to be closer to whatever they love about Japan. Nothing unrealistic about it.

Member of the Metal Club
(#15 (permalink))
Old
biginjapan (Offline)
JF Regular

12-23-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
It's realistic to go someplace because of your hobbies, and I don't see how it isn't. A lot of people go to Japan because of this. They want to be closer to whatever they love about Japan. Nothing unrealistic about it.
Yes you're correct in everything you said. However, he said he wants to "live" there not just go. There is absolutely nothing wrong with visiting a country because of hobbies and interests. But I think its just silly to want to move there without visiting.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Arikado (Offline)
Elegant Rocker

12-23-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biginjapan View Post
Yes you're correct in everything you said. However, he said he wants to "live" there not just go. There is absolutely nothing wrong with visiting a country because of hobbies and interests. But I think its just silly to want to move there without visiting.
So then we should be encouraging him to visit instead of instantly stamping out his dreams like a rogue fire, saying he'll never be able to live in Japan.

Member of the Metal Club
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MutsuYakumo (Offline)
JF Regular

12-23-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
You're admirable for defending this kid and "keeping hope alive" for him. But he fails to mention a reason for wanting to go to Japan, the best I can think of is "japan is the most beautiful place I've ever seen i mean just the sights take my breath away" It would be easier for him to buy a panoramic poster frame it and enjoy that. Think of it like this: A lot of people wants to go to New York because they would love to be a model, that doesn't mean that they should. And that's a better reason than him wanting to move to Japan. It's not impossible, but it is improbable.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Arikado (Offline)
Elegant Rocker

12-23-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutsuYakumo View Post
You're admirable for defending this kid and "keeping hope alive" for him. But he fails to mention a reason for wanting to go to Japan, the best I can think of is "japan is the most beautiful place I've ever seen i mean just the sights take my breath away" It would be easier for him to buy a panoramic poster frame it and enjoy that. Think of it like this: A lot of people wants to go to New York because they would love to be a model, that doesn't mean that they should. And that's a better reason than him wanting to move to Japan. It's not impossible, but it is improbable.
That's better. You're right, he doesn't have great supporting reasons but look: "Japan is the most beautiful place...etc." Hear that a lot from people that decided to move to Japan? I sure do

Member of the Metal Club
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MutsuYakumo (Offline)
JF Regular

12-23-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
That's better. You're right, he doesn't have great supporting reasons but look: "Japan is the most beautiful place...etc." Hear that a lot from people that decided to move to Japan? I sure do
No... No I don't, I hear that from people who are ridiculously clueless. Yes Japan is a very beautiful place, but you can't appreciate that beauty if you haven't been there in person. I've seen very nice pictures of Malibu, Hawaii, and various other places but that's not a good enough reason for me to move there.

Kid listen to your family and friends. I'm pretty sure they want whats best for you. You don't belong in Japan, you can't love something that you don't know or understand. I've seen plenty of beautiful women and dreamed of being with them, but the truth is I won't, and the healthiest thing to do is just move on. It's okay to like anime, and manga, but don't become obsessed, it's not very becoming.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
sasuke91 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-23-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsandhopes View Post
my life long dream is to live in Tokyo japan i talk about this frequently to my parents and they call me a D*** fool i try to explain that japan is the most beautiful place I've ever seen i mean just the sights take my breath away i have gotten this dream since as long as i can remember but ever time i bring it up to anybody friends family coworkers tells me that's the most stupid idea that I've ever had but i know in my heart its where i belong but one of my good friends has also had this dream and he is also moving to japan when he is 18 we talk about this everyday at school well i know u have to get a good education if u want to move there im finishing high school in America and then planing to go to collage in japan when i turn 18 please help me on this journey and make my dreams come true? i would like to here some of ur stories about u moving to japan please?

its best not to say you just wanna move there straight away, we all know japan is a beatiful place with lots of culture, things to see and do ect. so why not start planning to go there for a holidayfirst? and can you speak fluent japanese ? coz you need it if you wanna live/work there