(#31 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
04-18-2009, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Getting married in Japan, with a Japanese person, who has a Japanese mother and Japanese father, is one of the most expensive things couples do...besides buying a home.
I said Las Vegas...........

猿も木から落ちる

Last edited by alanX : 04-18-2009 at 03:00 AM.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-18-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
I said Las Vegas...........
Alan, Japanese women who are willing to get married in Las Vegas 99 times out of 100 want to live in America. If you want to live in Japan, you have to do it the Japanese way.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

04-18-2009, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Alan, Japanese women who are willing to get married in Las Vegas 99 times out of 100 want to live in America. If you want to live in Japan, you have to do it the Japanese way.
Gahhhhhhdddd.

I hate it when you're right >.<

Guess I need to save some moolah then, eh?

Mari sent me this link: http://www.kyoto-omoide.co.jp/

And it's pretty much drop-jawing me. The amount of activities, and complicity of Japanese weddings make western weddings just look.......like nothing lol. Those written promise things or 約束 or whatever I think (I'm guessing that's what they're called) are really tripping me up. Maybe I can print one XD

Obviously I'm kidding about that print thing....

猿も木から落ちる
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-18-2009, 04:33 AM

If you are already in a relationship with someone Japanese, and already plan to spend the rest of your life with them - getting married is the fastest way to residency.

But anyone who calls it the "easiest" doesn`t have their head screwed on right.

In the case of marrying someone just for residency - what advantage is it to them? In all the cases of marrying for visa that I have heard of there are two patterns.
1) Business arrangement, and
2) Pure deception.

The business arrangement usually involves a big chunk of money to make it worthwhile to the other party... And deception almost never lasts long enough to retain residency after the marriage ends.

But either way, you`d still need a lot of money (requiring significant effort) for #1, and likely need to continue to feed money into the deal to keep the partner quiet about the whole thing. One word from them to the authorities and you`re deported.
#2 is a huge amount of acting and emotional effort. Not to mention that you have to actually be appealing enough in appearance and action to get someone to fall in love with you. (Something that is going to require time, money, and effort.) The other party figures out that you`ve used them, and I imagine the result would not be pretty at all. I`ve seen quite a few of these where the husband used the mother to get into the country, got her pregnant (because that is what you do when you`re married in Japan) then split leaving her to fend alone with the kids once he no longer needed her backing for the visa.

Marry someone because you actually want to marry them. The reason you should be wanting the spouse visa is to be with your partner. Not the other way around.

Back when my husband and I got married, one person in the circle of friends accused me of just marrying him for a visa. I have never forgotten, and will never forgive them for that. There is nothing more insulting that they could have said to me or my husband.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

04-18-2009, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post

If you are already in a relationship with someone Japanese, and already plan to spend the rest of your life with them - getting married is the fastest way to residency.

But anyone who calls it the "easiest" doesn`t have their head screwed on right.

In the case of marrying someone just for residency - what advantage is it to them? In all the cases of marrying for visa that I have heard of there are two patterns.
1) Business arrangement, and
2) Pure deception.

The business arrangement usually involves a big chunk of money to make it worthwhile to the other party... And deception almost never lasts long enough to retain residency after the marriage ends.

But either way, you`d still need a lot of money (requiring significant effort) for #1, and likely need to continue to feed money into the deal to keep the partner quiet about the whole thing. One word from them to the authorities and you`re deported.
#2 is a huge amount of acting and emotional effort. Not to mention that you have to actually be appealing enough in appearance and action to get someone to fall in love with you. (Something that is going to require time, money, and effort.) The other party figures out that you`ve used them, and I imagine the result would not be pretty at all. I`ve seen quite a few of these where the husband used the mother to get into the country, got her pregnant (because that is what you do when you`re married in Japan) then split leaving her to fend alone with the kids once he no longer needed her backing for the visa.

Marry someone because you actually want to marry them. The reason you should be wanting the spouse visa is to be with your partner. Not the other way around.

Back when my husband and I got married, one person in the circle of friends accused me of just marrying him for a visa. I have never forgotten, and will never forgive them for that. There is nothing more insulting that they could have said to me or my husband.
Agreed.

And like I said a few posts ago, I fell in love with my GF before I even knew she was a Japanese citizen.

猿も木から落ちる

Last edited by alanX : 04-18-2009 at 04:39 AM.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

04-18-2009, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Gahhhhhhdddd.

I hate it when you're right >.<

Guess I need to save some moolah then, eh?

Mari sent me this link: http://www.kyoto-omoide.co.jp/

And it's pretty much drop-jawing me. The amount of activities, and complicity of Japanese weddings make western weddings just look.......like nothing lol.
My wedding was here; 熱田神宮 A location second only to 伊勢神宮 in importance.
With the full works, done in traditional style. Dancers, Heian style 宴, parade, followed by musicians, etc etc etc. Followed by full course 披露宴 with all the trimmings.

I think the total bill was about $140,000.

(#37 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

04-18-2009, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
My wedding was here; 熱田神宮 A location second only to 伊勢神宮 in importance.
With the full works, done in traditional style. Dancers, Heian style 宴, parade, followed by musicians, etc etc etc. Followed by full course 披露宴 with all the trimmings.

I think the total bill was about $140,000.
Wow, that sounds amazing. The slideshow on the main page is beautiful as well. But...I don't think I'll have $140,000 to whip out for a wedding, unfortunately

猿も木から落ちる
(#38 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-18-2009, 05:19 AM

Nagoya people LOVE weddings, am I wrong Nyororin? For some reason, people in Nagoya spend a bit more on wedding ceremonies than people in other parts of Japan.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

04-18-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Nagoya people LOVE weddings, am I wrong Nyororin? For some reason, people in Nagoya spend a bit more on wedding ceremonies than people in other parts of Japan.
I`m pretty sure that`s true, but in our case didn`t really have anything to do with it. I think only 4 or 5 people out of the 300 who came were actually from Nagoya.
My husband`s family is from Fukui, and they were the ones pushing for the huge wedding.

In our case, I would say it was more about being 社長の長男 than liking big weddings.

(#40 (permalink))
Old
joeyj (Offline)
JF Regular

04-18-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Method 1 Step-by-Step

1. Go to college
2. Get a degree in Teaching/English/Etc.
3. Apply online to a English teaching school in Japan.
4. If you get hired, they'll provide all the other crap.

Method 2 Step-by-Step:

1. Find a Japanese girl
2. Marry her
3. Get a spouse visa
4. Move to Japan and get a minimum wage-paying job.
5. Happily every after.
lol method 2 is so true, except for maybe number 5