LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
CoreyLynn (Offline)
JF Regular

05-17-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
We got a sponsored visa through NOVA sometime before it went bust. The visa type is fairly broad allowing work in a number of fields. Outside of the big cities I would think Niseko has the most opportunities for foreigners wanting to live and work in Japan without having to teach english as there are so many foreign run businesses here catering to the international ski market. I wasn't overly keen on teaching english anyway but it was the easiest way to get a sponsored work visa from Australia.

Hokkaido though isn't for everyone. It does have a very long, cold and snowy winters. In fact the town I live in is one of the snowiest in the world averaging up around 40ft each winter. For someone like myself who loves winter and snowsports it's awesome. Summers although relatively short are very pleasant without getting too hot (I don't like heat). If you love a slow, stress free, outdoors oriented life it's near perfect. If you're really into Japanese culture and like big cities and clubbing and all that sort of stuff it's not the best place in Japan.
I'll definitely have to do some searching on NOVA then, because I haven't heard of it before reading your post.

The difference for me though, is that I really wouldn't mind teaching English at all.
I, personally, would love the experience of being in a classroom. So, a teaching job is what I'd strive for if I were to move to Japan.

Also, I live in a place right now where the winters take up more than half of the year. So, hearing that it snows a lot over there as well, I don't think I'd be able to handle that.
: )
I love the warmth.

But geez, really, thanks again for all of the answers and experiences you were able to share to me!

BlissfulGold

~~~

"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."

---Marilyn Monroe
(#32 (permalink))
Old
atheistwithfaith (Offline)
JF Regular

05-19-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyLynn View Post
I'll definitely have to do some searching on NOVA then, because I haven't heard of it before reading your post.

The difference for me though, is that I really wouldn't mind teaching English at all.
I, personally, would love the experience of being in a classroom. So, a teaching job is what I'd strive for if I were to move to Japan.

Also, I live in a place right now where the winters take up more than half of the year. So, hearing that it snows a lot over there as well, I don't think I'd be able to handle that.
I love the warmth.

But geez, really, thanks again for all of the answers and experiences you were able to share to me!
By all means search for NOVA for an example of the unstable nature of english-teaching in Japan, but you possibly have not heard of them because they went bankrupt around 2007 and collapsed in 2008!
(#33 (permalink))
Old
CoreyLynn (Offline)
JF Regular

05-19-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheistwithfaith View Post
By all means search for NOVA for an example of the unstable nature of english-teaching in Japan, but you possibly have not heard of them because they went bankrupt around 2007 and collapsed in 2008!
Well, alright then,

thanks.

BlissfulGold

~~~

"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."

---Marilyn Monroe
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-19-2010, 08:45 PM

From what I've read around the net, the english teaching bubble is done.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
CoreyLynn (Offline)
JF Regular

05-19-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar View Post
From what I've read around the net, the english teaching bubble is done.

Is that because so many people want to do it?
And where, if you don't mind me asking, have you read this?

BlissfulGold

~~~

---Marilyn Monroe
(#36 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-19-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Is that because so many people want to do it?
And where, if you don't mind me asking, have you read this?

As long as Japanese people desire to learn English there will always be people willing to pay native speakers to teach. I think it is harder to find work there than it was 10 years ago, but there are still lots of opportunities.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
CoreyLynn (Offline)
JF Regular

05-19-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
As long as Japanese people desire to learn English there will always be people willing to pay native speakers to teach. I think it is harder to find work there than it was 10 years ago, but there are still lots of opportunities.
That's good to hear then, thanks.

Do you know of anything that specifically makes people more appealing when trying to get a job in teaching english?
What I mean is, are there things that I can do beforehand that will help my chances for being hired; such as certain degrees, certificates, experience?

I'm still just a Junior in High School, and this is something I'm really considering as a future career.
I just want to make sure that I understand my options.

Thanks for the post.

BlissfulGold

~~~

---Marilyn Monroe
(#38 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-19-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
That's good to hear then, thanks.

Do you know of anything that specifically makes people more appealing when trying to get a job in teaching english?
What I mean is, are there things that I can do beforehand that will help my chances for being hired; such as certain degrees, certificates, experience?

I'm still just a Junior in High School, and this is something I'm really considering as a future career.
I just want to make sure that I understand my options.

Thanks for the post.
1) Be a native speaker of English from a country where English is the major language in Europe, North America or Australia/New Zealand.

2) Have a BA or BS from an accredited four-year college or university.

That's about it.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
CoreyLynn (Offline)
JF Regular

05-19-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
1) Be a native speaker of English from a country where English is the major language in Europe, North America or Australia/New Zealand.

That's about it.
Haha, well those are some simple steps.
Thanks.

^^

BlissfulGold

~~~

---Marilyn Monroe
(#40 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-19-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:

That's about it.
I just wanted to point out that in NZ, Australia and the UK, in most cases a BA or BSc (<- =BS) is finished in 3 years- mine was, and it was fine for getting me a working visa. A lot of people not from North America who have degrees see people constantly mention the "4-year degree" thing and assume they don't qualify, which is not the case.

I also wanted to correct someone above- while Nova did go bankrupt, it did not collapse in 2008- it was immediately bought out by a company called G-Com, who continue to run it even now. It is not as large as it was before, but it is still there. G-Com also bought out Geos on its bankruptcy just recently.

As for what's happening with the English teaching market, Japanese people really just aren't signing up for English conversation classes in as large numbers these days. There was an English conversation class "boom" in the late 80s and 90s where everyone wanted to take classes, and that has basically finished. One of the reasons Geos went bankrupt is that they had something like 35,000 fewer sign-ups last year than they did the previous year. Of course that has a lot to do with the economic recession as well as the end of the "boom".

I first arrived in Japan in Japan in 1995 when it was joked that anyone with a pulse could get a job teaching English here, and it was pretty much true.

It's much harder now- there are still plenty of jobs, but definitely not as many as before, and there are lots more people applying for them, so you really have to stand out.