JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old
nick149 (Offline)
New to JF

08-30-2009, 01:09 AM

I m learning how to speak Japanese with a vocabulary, pc programs and stuff like that its not much but you learn the basics fast...its better than nothing!!!
Old
nick149 (Offline)
New to JF

08-30-2009, 01:11 AM

AtsTHAt's a reply to orochitachi!!!
Old
Orochitachi (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Orochitachi Send a message via MSN to Orochitachi
08-30-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick149 View Post
I m learning how to speak Japanese with a vocabulary, pc programs and stuff like that its not much but you learn the basics fast...its better than nothing!!!
honestly programs suck!!!

A book is way better but a Native is even better.
Old
nick149 (Offline)
New to JF

08-30-2009, 10:04 AM

When I started learning Japanese (a month ago or two) I used pc programs because I couldn't find vocabularies in the bookstores here so I order it from amazon!!!anyway I wanted to tell that pc programs is a good start if u haven't got any other option...
Old
Orochitachi (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Orochitachi Send a message via MSN to Orochitachi
08-30-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick149 View Post
When I started learning Japanese (a month ago or two) I used pc programs because I couldn't find vocabularies in the bookstores here so I order it from amazon!!!anyway I wanted to tell that pc programs is a good start if u haven't got any other option...
lol Nick149,

I started a thread yesterday about wanting used/new books....kinda a desperate approach lol but who know's someone might be kind enough.

say; how's your japanese coming on?
we could practice together , and since your two months in; there's a lot i could learn from you....well i would say viceversa but i don't knwo anything; I am so dense...lol
Old
nick149 (Offline)
New to JF

08-30-2009, 02:55 PM

My Japanese " lessons " are going good enough...I forgot to mention that my sister is helping me!!! I would be glad to help you but as I said I don't know that much I know the basics!there are too little things to learn from me...again my opinion find a pc program for a start!!! if u want someone to practice I think u should ask someone else who knows more than me!!!
Old
atheistwithfaith (Offline)
JF Regular

09-01-2009, 12:55 AM

Oh wow, been reading through this thread over the last week finally got to the end. What a monster thread.

You have a very interesting story Nyororin, thanks for sharing it with us. Also thanks to everyone who shared information and put up with all the stupid questions (how more of you didn't resort to shouting in all caps I don't know...) .

I would say to those of you wanting to go and stay in Japan, and to spend time living in Tokyo that while the points made here are all very valid, Tokyo is still a very exciting place to stay. I personally think it is a very unique place and it is quite unlike other big cities I have visited or lived in. I'm hoping to go and stay in Japan again for a year after my undergrad studies, probably spending most my time in Tokyo teaching english. Which has its bad points, but unfortunately its a means to an end.
Old
Amaris (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Amaris
09-04-2009, 02:17 AM

I feel for you, Nyororin, but I'm very glad that you came to better days. My situation is similar, of the sorts. My dad was never a dad, and as it is, he'll never get the chance to be because he's dead. My mom is basically a functional deadbeat, she goes to work, and her job is even somewhat good paying, yet she spends her money on the wrong things, i.e., big screen tv (which is still unpaid for), going to clubs, buying clothes she'll wear once or not at all and other random items that appeal to her. She constantly gambles, loses the money and whines that she won't do it again, which I know isn't true. She's a slob in my eyes. She'd rather waste money on alcohol and cigarettes and things for her self than providing basic necessities for me. I constantly live my life with no hot running water, little to no food at home, and often dirt clothes. The place that I live is scum. I've even been homeless for a few years, and I never recovered from the isolation I felt because of it. I suffer from depression and an inferiority complex, which is the least of it. But I have dreams of moving to Japan, to a better place where I can get away from my past and meet new people. I want to remake myself and get there as soon as possible, and you are my inspiration to stay constant and make that happen.
Old
mangostine (Offline)
New to JF

09-08-2009, 02:04 AM

Ah ~ Sorry I couldn't read all 100 or so posts in this. So I don't know if this came up and if it did I'm sorry!

But I'm wondering how exactly does the work visa system work? I live in the USA and you've said that in that case you don't have to apply for a visa? I'm not quite understanding how it works exactly. And what if you currently don't have an employer? How long does the employer visa allow a person to live in Japan? What do you have to do to get permanent residence allowed (through work, I mean.) Like is there a set amount of time you have to work?

In addition, if you have a masters degree from a university in USA and are pretty fluent in the Japanese language, would it be easy to find a job in Japan? For example, masters degree in economics or say you have your MD.

And if you're not too fluent with Japanese language but you have a pretty high degree, are there any other easy-to-find options instead of teaching English?

Thank you for all your help!

Last edited by mangostine : 09-08-2009 at 05:47 AM.
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-08-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangostine View Post
But I'm wondering how exactly does the work visa system work? I live in the USA and you've said that in that case you don't have to apply for a visa?
For a less than 90 day visit to Japan, as a tourist, with no work permitted - no, you do not have to apply for a visa. One will be granted to you upon entry to the country. For any other visa you WILL have to apply.

Quote:
And what if you currently don't have an employer?
Then you will be unable to get a work visa. Your employer has to sponsor you.

Quote:
How long does the employer visa allow a person to live in Japan?
Indefinitely, really. The visa itself is between 1 and 3 years... But you can continue to renew it for as long as you are employed.

Quote:
What do you have to do to get permanent residence allowed (through work, I mean.) Like is there a set amount of time you have to work?
You must have lived in Japan for a significant period of time. There is no truly set requirement, but guidelines are generally 10+ years if you are not married to a Japanese citizen, and 5+ years if you are. It is granted at the discretion of immigration.

Quote:
In addition, if you have a masters degree from a university in USA and are pretty fluent in the Japanese language, would it be easy to find a job in Japan? For example, masters degree in economics or say you have your MD.
As an English teacher, yes. But unless you have something to offer that makes you a better choice than a Japanese applicant with the same qualifications and native language skills, no. It would be easier than without those qualifications, of course, but that`s true most anywhere.

Quote:
And if you're not too fluent with Japanese language but you have a pretty high degree, are there any other easy-to-find options instead of teaching English?
Not really. Most of those with good jobs in Japan that do not require Japanese language skills and that are not English teaching have come to Japan already employed - for example, transferred to Japan and working at the Japan branch of an overseas company.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.