JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

02-11-2010, 08:44 AM

Yep. Although I should mention you probably won't find those prices in the middle of downtown - generally the karaoke places (U-Style in particular) that are located a bit further away from nightlife districts have great prices. ¥1600 for the room + ¥1700 for the nomihoudai from 6PM to 5AM (this was near Yagoto station in Nagoya). The drink lists aren't skimpy at all, either.

郷に入っては郷に従え
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
02-16-2010, 02:50 AM

Hey everyone. I just had an etiquette question. Is it rude to walk and drink (not necessarily alcoholic, can be a can of soda, or a drink one can get from an outdoor vendor) at the same time? I guess I mean this in a general sense.
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-16-2010, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Hey everyone. I just had an etiquette question. Is it rude to walk and drink (not necessarily alcoholic, can be a can of soda, or a drink one can get from an outdoor vendor) at the same time? I guess I mean this in a general sense.
Traditionally, yes, it is considered rude to walk and consume food or drink. Younger than 35 or so do it without thinking about it, but older than 40 probably don't.
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
02-16-2010, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Traditionally, yes, it is considered rude to walk and consume food or drink. Younger than 35 or so do it without thinking about it, but older than 40 probably don't.
Thanks. I knew it was rude to eat and walk, but wasn't sure about drinking and walking.
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-16-2010, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Thanks. I knew it was rude to eat and walk, but wasn't sure about drinking and walking.
Several years ago I took a group of HS students to Japan and it was a hot day in Kyoto when we stopped at a vending machine. I said we should drink our drinks and deposit the cans in the recycle bin next to the machine.

One student started walking saying it was a waste of time to stand and drink our cold drinks, but she only made it a few steps before an elderly woman shook her finger and scolded her.

As a foreigner, I try to not bring a lot of negative attention to myself, so I try and not eat and drink on the move.
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-16-2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Several years ago I took a group of HS students to Japan and it was a hot day in Kyoto when we stopped at a vending machine. I said we should drink our drinks and deposit the cans in the recycle bin next to the machine.

One student started walking saying it was a waste of time to stand and drink our cold drinks, but she only made it a few steps before an elderly woman shook her finger and scolded her.

As a foreigner, I try to not bring a lot of negative attention to myself, so I try and not eat and drink on the move.
This is usually something that is written into high school rules in Japan. It follows along with the uniform rules - you reflect your school, so don`t walk about while eating - it`s considered slovenly.

On a more practical note, there aren`t really many public trash bins. If you are walking around eating or drinking something, chances are you will find yourself without a place to throw away the trash afterward.

You may see young people with drinks while walking, but you`ll never see anyone actually drinking while moving - it`s always while stopped... Carrying a drink then taking a sip while waiting at a light isn`t rare (particularly in the summer) but sipping while strolling is a no-no. And you never see anyone eating while walking. Not even just carrying food and then taking bites while stopping. I can`t even picture it. Even at festivals where they sell food at stands and don`t provide a place to eat it, anyone other than little kids will find a spot to sit or stand until the food is gone. Families or groups of friends will find a spot that (hopefully) isn`t in the way and stand in a circle eating.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-16-2010, 04:08 AM

Good point about the garbage cans. I walked around Tokyo for a couple hours with a pocket full of garbage, and didn't see a place to toss it until I got on the platform at a train station.
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

02-16-2010, 05:37 AM

Back up what Nyororin and MMM said.

I often catch my students doing things they shouldn't, and considering their uniforms say SUPERPEACH JHS (not a real name, but a sort of gag on the kanji of the school), I have to scold them.

Should not eat or drink while walking, although I will do it on a hot day with a sports drink or water. With food? Never.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Old
SaintKat (Offline)
Veni Vidi Vicious

02-16-2010, 08:19 AM

I don't think I've seen this question asked yet, so hopefully I'm not repeating an old one:

Can you buy real-estate in Japan if you don't live there or aren't a citizen? If you can, do you have to use it yourself - or can you rent it out?

Nobody is perfect.
I am nobody.
Therefore, I am perfect.
Old
atheistwithfaith (Offline)
JF Regular

02-16-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Good point about the garbage cans. I walked around Tokyo for a couple hours with a pocket full of garbage, and didn't see a place to toss it until I got on the platform at a train station.
This amused me when I think how its the complete opposite in the UK. It has been years since I ever saw a bin at a train station.