LinkBack Thread Tools
(#511 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-13-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duo797 View Post
When he says 'I wouldn't blame anyone', he means 'I would understand'. "That class sounds hard! I wouldn't blame you if you want quit!" could also be understood as "That class sounds hard! I would understand if you want to quit". You might also say it if you agree with how someone acted. I think that might be a bit confusing,
Hope that helps
Hi, duo. Thank you.
I didn’t know that. Very helpful. Thank you very much!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#512 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

12-13-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge10 View Post
I (now) realize that I did go off topic and I misread your post. What I was trying to convey in my post was to give my opinion on the karate system and where Fun/passion should tie with hard work. As for the English man's opinion, I think it's good to get to see things from a different person's view-point.
Hi, jorge!
My English expressions are too poor. I’m sorry!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
(#513 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

12-16-2009, 01:37 AM

Hi.
Could you correct my English?

"Book: Guin Saga Vol.130"

This is the final volume of Guin Saga, entitled “A Fathomless Future”.
I’ve been reading 130 volumes of this story, and the final book doesn’t have an ending because the author died before she finishes it. The story seems to continue.
Valerius, the chancellor of Parros kingdom, says in the book; “The Middle Land may be about to go into very difficult times.”
There is a lot of foreshadowing. I really want to read rest of the story, but I can’t.
Will Istavan be able to meet his son? Will the son have family trouble with his half-brother? Will he inherit Istavan’s kingdom in the future? What will happen to Rosalie? What about Rinda? Who will be an heir of Guin’s kingdom? What will happen to Octavia? Above all, what is Guin’s real identity? Where is he from!?
The story suddenly ended in the middle of the story. Do I have to imagine rest of it by myself?

Thank you.

I YamaP
(#514 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

12-16-2009, 02:42 AM

If the Author died it may not be continued, depends. Sometimes a family member will take up the story or a close confidant. However, seldom do they get the flow of the orginal story the same way, simply because they are different themselves.
(#515 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

12-16-2009, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi.
Could you correct my English?

"Book: Guin Saga Vol.130"

This is the final volume of Guin Saga, entitled “A Fathomless Future”.
I’ve read 130 volumes of this story, and the final book doesn’t have an ending because the author died before she finished it. Even so, the story seems to continue.
Valerius, the chancellor of Parros kingdom, says in the book; “The Middle Land may be about to go into very difficult times.”
There is a lot of foreshadowing. I really want to read the rest of the story, but I can’t.
Will Istavan be able to meet his son? Will the son have family troubles with his half-brother? Will he inherit Istavan’s kingdom in the future? What will happen to Rosalie? What about Rinda? Who will be the heir of Guin’s kingdom? What will happen to Octavia? Above all, what is Guin’s real identity? Where is he from!?
The story suddenly ended in the middle of the story. Do I have to imagine the rest of it by myself?

Thank you.
Lots of story questions left unanswered, I see. I suppose that's how some stories have to end...with unanswered questions that have as many answers as there are readers.

For the revisions, not much was needed. Some definite articles ("the rest") as well as verb tense changes ("she finished"). A couple words ("Even so") were added to show that the sentence is adding more information to concepts introduced in the previous sentence. Also, I changed the part of the sentence referring to the number of story volumes, as its original writing gave the idea you were reading 130 volumes at once, and not in total.

Hope that helps, Yuri!

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"

Last edited by Koir : 12-16-2009 at 04:23 AM.
(#516 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
12-16-2009, 05:23 PM

If I could add a suggestion to Koir's revisions, I would say 'the heir to Guin's Kingdom?' instead of 'the heir of Guin's Kingdom?'. From my experience, when you say someone is the 'heir of' something then you're discussing their family directly 'The heir of Charlemagne' but when you're talking about something they will inherit (like a kingdom) then you say they are the 'heir to' something.
Examples 'Heir to the throne' 'Heir to the Moneybags Family Fortune' etc.
(#517 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

12-16-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duo797 View Post
If I could add a suggestion to Koir's revisions, I would say 'the heir to Guin's Kingdom?' instead of 'the heir of Guin's Kingdom?'. From my experience, when you say someone is the 'heir of' something then you're discussing their family directly 'The heir of Charlemagne' but when you're talking about something they will inherit (like a kingdom) then you say they are the 'heir to' something.
Examples 'Heir to the throne' 'Heir to the Moneybags Family Fortune' etc.
I believe in the story there are two brothers in that family, so the heir to the kingdom is by no means clear. My revisions reflects that mainly due to previous knowledge of the story elements.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#518 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
12-16-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
I believe in the story there are two brothers in that family, so the heir to the kingdom is by no means clear. My revisions reflects that mainly due to previous knowledge of the story elements.
In that case, I would still call them 'heirs of their father' but I would still pose the question hypothetically 'Who will become the heir to the throne'. I didn't mean to sound like I was devaluing your own revisions, I'm just saying that in my experience I've heard 'heir to' much more often than 'heir of' in a situation like this.
(#519 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

12-17-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Hi, Koir. Thanks as always.

Actually, Guin’s kingdom which name is Cheironia (I don’t know how to spell this in English properly.) doesn’t have a price.
In the final book, Istavan got information that Guin had gotton a mistress and she just got pregnant.
Guin’s legal wife is a daughter of the ex-emperor of Cheironia, and she has got a sick, can’t get pregnant. Cheironia hasn’t had an heir, and this is very big problem to the kingdom. Even if the mistress give birth a boy, the baby might not be able to become an heir because he is not a grandchild of the ex-emperor. While the kingdom doesn’t have choice except letting the baby becomes an heir.

Istavan’s kingdom is Goula, and he has two sons.

I YamaP
(#520 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

12-17-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
If the Author died it may not be continued, depends. Sometimes a family member will take up the story or a close confidant. However, seldom do they get the flow of the orginal story the same way, simply because they are different themselves.
Hi, Ryzorian.

Yes, you are right. Maybe the story will not be continued.
The author’s husband is a publisher, so I thought he would find someone to take over the work. However, he himself has gotten a cancer, and he doesn’t seem to like letting someone do it, or he doesn’t have energy to arrange to commission.
If he were fine, he could work with some authors and continue the story.
It’s really too bad.

I YamaP