LinkBack Thread Tools
(#541 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-10-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klint View Post
Your English is very impressive. Of what I corrected, very little of it was actual grammatic errors. Just some changes in a few places to give it a bit more of a natural feel. I wouldn't fully go by what I've said though. Especially since I havn't nearly contributed to or read through as much of this thread as a lot of the other members have. Not to mention it's nearly 3:30 in the morning here.
Hi, Koint. Thank you very much!
Your corrections are very kind and nice.

Just one thing.
I wrote “Nobody protest against what we do.” I meant this was just a fact. “Nobody should protest against what we do.” doesn’t seem to be what I wanted to say.
Should I have written “Nobody has protested against what we do”?

Quote:
Anyways, I'm not sure if the question is directed at us or not, but... No, I don't see hanging laundry outside to dry as any sort of sign of poverty. My family and most other people where I live also hang our laundry out to dry, whether they're rich, poor, or somewhere in the middle.
I see…The news program might have mentioned about a particular high-class residential area. I’m relieved to hear that.

Quote:
...Okay, 4:00 AM... I must be an insomniac...
Thank you for posting that late at night (early morning?)!

May I write the composition you corrected and your comment in my blog?

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#542 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

01-10-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi.
Could you correct my English?

Evidence of Poverty?

Several days ago, a Japanese TV news program said that some American people were proposing hanging out laundry to dry in the sun. At first I didn’t understand the point because most Japanese people hang out their clothes, except those who don’t have a balcony or a yard in which to hang things.
The news reader continued that hanging laundry is seen as evidence of poverty in the US, so some people protested against hanging the washing out to dry. They don’t like their town appearing to be poor.
I was shocked to hear this. We’ve always hung laundry outside, as we believe that using a dryer is a waste of electricity. Nobody protests against what we do. We have a drying tumbler, and we use it when the weather is bad.
So then, when American people come to Japan, do most of us appear poor to you? Do I appear very poor?

Thank you.

http://www.alachuacounty.us/document...98ee48fd2c.pdf
Ah, the American psyche. Sometimes it seems so fragile, and there are no end of people for whom taking offense and being indignant is a career choice. I wouldn't take the protests seriously, Yuri. In a couple days, the same people protesting will find some other thing to complain about in their endless search for a few seconds of fame on CNN.

Although being Canadian, I do have trouble imagining people preferring to hang their clothes out to dry in the sun when a dryer usually is fairly affordable for most people. But by no means does that mean I think all countries must believe the same thing. Again referring to past anime series I have watched (specifically To Aru Majutsu no Index and Toradora), it appears both practical and "exotic" (for lack of a better word) to hang laundry out to dry in the sun or using a tumbler to dry clothes.

Confession: Though years ago, my family had a clothesline in the backyard where we hung out large items like blankets to dry, or shirts we didn't want shrinking in the heat of the dryer.

As for the post, there were a few revisions. Some were to correct minor typos and similar things. "One of the Japanese TV news programs" was changed to "a Japanese TV news program" to clarify the concept that a "news program" is an event that is both short in time and not a continuous occurance. That is, one news program does not continue as a single event that is ongoing into the future.

"In which" was inserted between "yard" and "to hang things" to provide a self-reference to "yard" as a place where the action of hanging clothes occurs. I do admit it does seem a bit too formal in language, so feel free to change it to something that better fits the tone of your post.

I split the concept of people thinking that hanging clothes out to dry means poverty, as the sentence it was a part of was too long with it and was awkward to read.

The major revision of the post was with this section:

"We’ve been hanging the laundry out. We believe that using a dryer is a waste of electricity."

was changed to

"We’ve always hung laundry outside, as we believe that using a dryer is a waste of electricity."

The first part about hanging laundry outside required the verb tense changing to a past form. Hanging laundry outside has happened in the past, and since the concept is being discussed more than the action itself, a past verb form "hung" is needed for complete understanding. The modifier "always" demonstrates that the action has occured frequently in past.

The second concept of dryers wasting electricity was merged into the first sentence because it adds information to the reason behind hanging laundry outside. In the original text, both sentences had the same subject "we" so having two separate sentences is confusing to the reader.

Quite a lot of information, Yuri. I hope it is mostly understandable. Finally, you do not appear poor. It's helpful individuals such as you that provide the reason this forum was made, not to mention its continued success.

Have a great day, Yuri!

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"

Last edited by Koir : 01-10-2010 at 01:48 PM.
(#543 (permalink))
Old
Klint (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-10-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Hi, Koint. Thank you very much!
Your corrections are very kind and nice.

Just one thing.
I wrote “Nobody protest against what we do.” I meant this was just a fact. “Nobody should protest against what we do.” doesn’t seem to be what I wanted to say.
Should I have written “Nobody has protested against what we do”?

I see…The news program might have mentioned about a particular high-class residential area. I’m relieved to hear that.

Thank you for posting that late at night (early morning?)!

May I write the composition you corrected and your comment in my blog?
Oops, sorry for my misinterpretation.
At any rate, yes. "Nobody has protested against what we do" sounds like a good alternative.

And you may of course use anything I've written in your blog.

"Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?"
(#544 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

01-12-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Ah, the American psyche. Sometimes it seems so fragile, and there are no end of people for whom taking offense and being indignant is a career choice. I wouldn't take the protests seriously, Yuri. In a couple days, the same people protesting will find some other thing to complain about in their endless search for a few seconds of fame on CNN.
Hi, Koir. Thanks!
Er…..What’s “a career choice”? This doesn’t seem to mean a job selection in this context.

Quote:
Although being Canadian, I do have trouble imagining people preferring to hang their clothes out to dry in the sun when a dryer usually is fairly affordable for most people.
Thanks. This is what I wanted to know.
I never think you would look down on me due to the laundry.
I just didn’t know there were people who preferred to use a dryer.

Quote:
But by no means does that mean I think all countries must believe the same thing.
I get it. I know you understand the difference between countries.

Quote:
Confession: Though years ago, my family had a clothesline in the backyard where we hung out large items like blankets to dry, or shirts we didn't want shrinking in the heat of the dryer.
How do you dry the shirts now?

Quote:
As for the post, there were a few revisions. Some were to correct minor typos and similar things.
“a Japanese TV news program”
“a balcony or a yard in which to hang things”
“We’ve always hung laundry outside, as we believe that using a dryer is a waste of electricity.
I see. Thanks.
Knowing which I should use present or past form is difficult.

Quote:
Quite a lot of information, Yuri. I hope it is mostly understandable. Finally, you do not appear poor. It's helpful individuals such as you that provide the reason this forum was made, not to mention its continued success.

Have a great day, Yuri!
Sorry” I don’t understand what “not to mentions its continued success” means…

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
(#545 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

01-12-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klint View Post
Oops, sorry for my misinterpretation.
At any rate, yes. "Nobody has protested against what we do" sounds like a good alternative.

And you may of course use anything I've written in your blog.
Klint, thank you!

I YamaP
(#546 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

01-12-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinHowell View Post
I interpreted it as follows (changed part in italics):
We believe that using a dryer is a waste of electricity. Nobody here protests against what we do. We have tumble dryers, and we use them when the weather is not fine.
Hi, ColinHowell. Thank you for telling me!
Yes, the sentence needed “here”, and I meant it was the weather. Thank you!

I YamaP
(#547 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

01-12-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Hi, Koir. Thanks!
Er…..What’s “a career choice”? This doesn’t seem to mean a job selection in this context.
Apologies, Yuri. I was using sarcasm. In this context, the meaning was that some people in Western civilization (and specifically in the United States) know just how to act in such a way the media cannot help but report on their words.

Modern media is essentially about reporting sensational stories and not the truth, so these kind of people appear more frequently. As a result, they can make a living at being offended at anything because the media pays attention to them.

Quote:
Thanks. This is what I wanted to know.
I never think you would look down on me due to the laundry.
I just didn’t know there were people who preferred to use a dryer.
I am deeply sorry for offending you, Yuri. I do not in any way think less of you because of how you do laundry. My confession and explanation afterwards were meant to show that I used the same method to dry laundry in the past, and have seen how well that works. Some days, I wish we still had the clothesline up in the backyard so I could do it again.

Quote:
How do you dry the shirts now?
In a dryer machine.

Quote:
“a Japanese TV news program”
“a balcony or a yard in which to hang things”
“We’ve always hung laundry outside, as we believe that using a dryer is a waste of electricity.
I see. Thanks.
Knowing which I should use present or past form is difficult.
I am confident that the future will see your high level of experience in telling the difference between verb tenses, Yuri.

Quote:
Sorry” I don’t understand what “not to mentions its continued success” means…
It was a declaration similar in tone and impact to the reason why a site like JapanForum was created: to provide a way for native Japanese to connect to members of other countries in order to exchange cultural understanding and knowledge.

Each of us plays a vital part in this site continuing to be an excellent information resource on Japanese culture and people, especially individuals such as yourself, Yuri. I do not think I would know nearly as much about Japanese culture without your kind explanations and patience.

(#548 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

01-13-2010, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Apologies, Yuri. I was using sarcasm. In this context, the meaning was that some people in Western civilization (and specifically in the United States) know just how to act in such a way the media cannot help but report on their words.
Modern media is essentially about reporting sensational stories and not the truth, so these kind of people appear more frequently. As a result, they can make a living at being offended at anything because the media pays attention to them.
They can make a living? Does the media pay attention and money to them?

I’ve noticed that some Western news programs appear entertainment in essence.
Have you heard this event in Colorado the US? It was about a famous family which often appeared in some news programs. They said that a son of them was blown in a flying balloon, many people chased the balloon, and the son wasn’t in it. He was in the attic and said it was a show.
Some Japanese news programs are in form of entertainment, but they are not as sensational as Western’s in essence.

Quote:
I am deeply sorry for offending you, Yuri. I do not in any way think less of you because of how you do laundry. My confession and explanation afterwards were meant to show that I used the same method to dry laundry in the past, and have seen how well that works. Some days, I wish we still had the clothesline up in the backyard so I could do it again.
I’ve never thought you have offended me.
Sorry, I don’t understand why you say like this.
Did I appear angry in the last post? If I did, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to show any complaint or protest.

Quote:
In a dryer machine.
Do the shirts shrink?

Quote:
I am confident that the future will see your high level of experience in telling the difference between verb tenses, Yuri.
Thank you!! いつも ありがとー!

Quote:
It was a declaration similar in tone and impact to the reason why a site like JapanForum was created: to provide a way for native Japanese to connect to members of other countries in order to exchange cultural understanding and knowledge.

Each of us plays a vital part in this site continuing to be an excellent information resource on Japanese culture and people, especially individuals such as yourself, Yuri. I do not think I would know nearly as much about Japanese culture without your kind explanations and patience.
Quote:
It's helpful individuals such as you that provide the reason this forum was made, not to mention its continued success.
Sorry, let me confirm.
Individuals who don’t mention this forum’s continued success are helpful to provide for this forum.
??? Is this right???

I YamaP
(#549 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

01-13-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:
They can make a living? Does the media pay attention and money to them?
Not directly, but they certainly bring them to the attention of people who *do* pay money for scandalous stories they can profit from. The biggest, most recent example is all the controversy surrounding the golfer Tiger Woods.

At the beginning, it was just a minor traffic accident with his vehicle on his own property. Now there is a literal crowd of people all coming into the media spotlight, all with stories to tell to anyone who will listen and more importantly pay money...a lot of money.

The whole scandal seemed to show me that there is a certain formula or method people can use to bring down anyone who is a celebrity. A way that always works and provides lots of cash to anyone willing to make up stories (truthful or otherwise) about those they call "friends".

Quote:
I’ve noticed that some Western news programs appear entertainment in essence.
Have you heard this event in Colorado the US? It was about a famous family which often appeared in some news programs. They said that a son of them was blown in a flying balloon, many people chased the balloon, and the son wasn’t in it. He was in the attic and said it was a show.
Some Japanese news programs are in form of entertainment, but they are not as sensational as Western’s in essence.
Oh man, *that* story...

As for that, it's not specifically what they did or didn't do that really annoyed me. It's the fact that they honestly thought they could succeed at fooling everyone at the same time...and failed because one person told the truth when they weren't "supposed" to.

I'd better stop about that subject before I rant further...

Quote:
I’ve never thought you have offended me.
Sorry, I don’t understand why you say like this.
Did I appear angry in the last post? If I did, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to show any complaint or protest.
Not really, Yuri. I wanted to ensure that I didn't speak dismissively about Japanese culture.

Quote:
Do the shirts shrink?
After a few times of being dried, they do. So I get shirts one size larger to make them last longer before getting too small to wear.

Quote:
Sorry, let me confirm.
Individuals who don’t mention this forum’s continued success are helpful to provide for this forum.
??? Is this right???
In the sentence context, "not to mention" is used in a way to bring emphasis to the concept that comes after it (continued success) and link it to the previous concept (reason JapanForum was created). This way, it creates a sense of time for the reader connecting the past to the future.

Alternatively, the sentence could be revised to the following to eliminate confusion:

"It's helpful individuals such as you that provide the reason this forum was made, and also its continued success."

Hope that helps increase understanding and reduces confusion, Yuri!

Last edited by Koir : 01-13-2010 at 12:25 PM.
(#550 (permalink))
Old
ColinHowell (Offline)
JF Regular

01-13-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Quote:
??? Is this right???
In the sentence context, "not to mention" is used in a way to bring emphasis to the concept that comes after it (continued success) and link it to the previous concept (reason JapanForum was created). This way, it creates a sense of time for the reader connecting the past to the future.
This is one of those English figures of speech which must be quite confusing for non-native speakers. Saying "... X, not to mention Y" is actually a way of stating that Y applies even more strongly to the subject than X does. Other forms with the same effect are "... X, much less Y", "... X, let alone Y", and "... X, to say nothing of Y".

I think most native English speakers use these expressions automatically to achieve this effect, without thinking about the literal meaning of the words used. Since I never think about it either, answering this question was rather difficult for me.

I found out that these expressions all come from an old technique of rhetoric (called paralipsis), in which the speaker calls attention to something by pretending not to mention it. I knew nothing about the origins of this before looking up these phrases to answer YuriTokoro's puzzlement, so even we experienced English speakers can definitely learn something here.

Last edited by ColinHowell : 01-13-2010 at 08:57 AM.