LinkBack Thread Tools
(#961 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

10-14-2010, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
‘put asid' is more formal than ‘postpone’, OK.
Columbine had stated otherwise and did so correctly. Phrasal verbs are always less formal than their one-word synonyms
(#962 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
10-14-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Jambo, thank you!
Writing English without making mistakes seems to be almost impossible to me.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your Written (or typed. lol) English is very, very good.

@Columbine - Forgive my incorrect English. The highest level I got in school was Intermediate 2. Tbh, I found English boring, unless we were reading a play in class. Different people in the class got different parts, and I enjoyed that And also, my daily use of Scots perhaps make it a tad harder, although I'm just looking for excuses now

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#963 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-14-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
Columbine had stated otherwise and did so correctly. Phrasal verbs are always less formal than their one-word synonyms
あれ、反対だった!?…

"Postpone is more formaler than put asaide". ですね。

組長、thanks!!!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#964 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

10-14-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your Written (or typed. lol) English is very, very good.
Thank you very, very much!!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
(#965 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

10-14-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Hi. Columbine.
Thank you for explaining in detail.
No problem!

Quote:
‘put asid' is more formal than ‘postpone’, OK.
"put aside" is ~less~ formal than 'postpone'.

Quote:
I see.
When speaking in Japanese, we drop many words; so we have a lot of troubles when speaking in theoretical English.
I’ll try harder … ""^_^""
大丈夫ですよ〜 I know the feeling. It's difficult for me to use less words when i speak Japanese too. Exactly the opposite problem!

[/quote]
(#966 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

10-14-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post

@Columbine - Forgive my incorrect English. The highest level I got in school was Intermediate 2. Tbh, I found English boring, unless we were reading a play in class. Different people in the class got different parts, and I enjoyed that And also, my daily use of Scots perhaps make it a tad harder, although I'm just looking for excuses now
Don't worry about it. I only know this stuff in such detail because I'm actively studying it, and when I'm not sure I do have a whole shelf of grammar books I can refer to.

For the record, perfect tenses are my re-occurring nightmare at the moment! I actually dreamt about teaching them last night. For some reason my students could only read English, not hear it, so I was trying to write it on the whiteboard for them, only my pen wouldn't work. So frustrating!
(#967 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
10-15-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Don't worry about it. I only know this stuff in such detail because I'm actively studying it, and when I'm not sure I do have a whole shelf of grammar books I can refer to.

For the record, perfect tenses are my re-occurring nightmare at the moment! I actually dreamt about teaching them last night. For some reason my students could only read English, not hear it, so I was trying to write it on the whiteboard for them, only my pen wouldn't work. So frustrating!
Seems it's a nationwide problem, whiteboard pens not working... lol

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#968 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-15-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post

Hello there-- I did suspect that perhaps you were in the midst of studying in order to teach. It must be hard going at times-- I hope it will all be worthwhile for you. good luck in the future.
(#969 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

10-15-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Hello there-- I did suspect that perhaps you were in the midst of studying in order to teach. It must be hard going at times-- I hope it will all be worthwhile for you. good luck in the future.
I'm in the middle of my finals so it's been pretty tough. Just one more week to go!
(#970 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

10-26-2010, 08:53 AM

Could someone help me out?

I’d call on her in the morning, and she would look at the calendar.”

I think “I’d” is “I would”. Is that right?
And it means like “When I call on her (in the morning), she looks at the calendar”, right?
If so, why the writer didn’t write “she’d” instead of “she would”?
Is there a rule that you can’t use “ ‘d” two times in a sentence?
If I write “I’d call on her in the morning, and she’d look at the calendar”, is it odd?

Thank you.

I YamaP