LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

05-05-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
Err, that just explains what mercy kill is... if the person's death isn't imminent it isn't mercy kill.

Basically everybody here has been saying the same thing as you 'If it is this way I'm okay'. IT IS that way already.
I'd like you to remember that in the UK, assisted suicide is illegal, and so, I do not live in a society where it is seen as legal.

Is it a crime for me to explain my view in more detail than a simple "I think Mercy kills are fine"? All I was doing, was laying down the limits for my view. Since, this is asking about my view, no? Whereas someone said that people should be able to take their own life if they want to, I'm saying that taking your own life if you're not plagued by slow and fatal illnesses, or if you're not able to live a proper life, is wrong and should not be legal.

Also, I agree with MMM with the term "Mercy kill" Sounds like some sort of FPS term more than something that considers the end of someone life in reality.

About religion, why would God want a being to suffer in pain, if he was going to die anyways? If I'm not mistaken, did he not end Jesus' life on the cross to save him from more suffering?

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Hyakushi (Offline)
Ikaga desu ka!?

05-05-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solemnclockwork View Post
I don't agree with it, mainly because it IS an religious thing. To also top that off, when you go into territory like this, when is it to say before you start to kill off old people because there found "not viable"?

I don't know who made that comment, but to discard an serious point about some decisions and beliefs some people hold on how they view and make decisions, is not an good debate. On many subjects it is religious beliefs that make an difference on views (like this one), without those who is to say they have an point of view? That is not to say to debate religious points here, that's not allowed on this forum. Just don't discard someones else point for political correctness, you may not like there views but as long as it is an opinion, how is it wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reavyn View Post
First of all. It seems a bit tough to put a rule like that on a topic such as this due to the nature of the issue and the reasons why a lot of people do feel it is wrong. That being said, I'm not one of those people.
I'm sorry but the only reason I don't want any religious support is because its mostly influence, not really what people feel or want to feel. It could go either way with religious beliefs. When people bring religion to a debate its asking the pros and cons to judge a whole group of people and challenge their beliefs, which is not fair and bias.

"When god says your ready to go then your ready to go".
With the advances in technology we are living beyond the expectations of when humans are suppose to die. With this law we are dying before we are suppose to go or maybe even a little later than usual. Thats why it is ruled out here.

solemnclockwork you seem like the only one not taking this seriously, we are not talking about old people but people in general. I only put no religious support because it causes people to spew from the mouth with rage with out thinking.

I'm not racist . . . I hate everyone equally.

Last edited by Hyakushi : 05-05-2009 at 05:15 PM.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Hyakushi (Offline)
Ikaga desu ka!?

05-05-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintKat View Post
The only thing I actually fear about euthanasia is:

i) People of questionable mental health being given the go ahead
ii) Governments/hospitals using euthanasia as a way to get rid of undesirables in a kind of under-the-radar legalized murder
Thats what I was thinking about too, if a person is mentally ill or becomes mentally ill then what. Should there be tests for people like that, well I think so but it might become a long proccess.
I think maybe it should be a last resort if there are no other medical treatments, I know when I was in the hospital and unable to move or even feed myself nor didI have any company to keep my mind well intact. I wanted to be put out of my misery but then new treatments were just being used and so I tried it and it worked. I'm walking around, have a job, going to school and if I had picked to be killed it would have been a waste.
I'm not sure about the subject.

(#24 (permalink))
Old
Hyakushi (Offline)
Ikaga desu ka!?

05-05-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi View Post
Someone with a face like your avatar pum pum should be mercy slaughtered right away
AGREED 100%

(#25 (permalink))
Old
SephirothVVC (Offline)
Death Is The Cure

Send a message via MSN to SephirothVVC Send a message via Skype™ to SephirothVVC
05-05-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Read the post before reacting. I said in an depressed manner. In that logic, I was referring to people who are obviously unable to make an decision without being badly influence by there feelings. Having someone wanting to die, and trying to go threw (in depressing) with that is WRONG.

That said, I would appreciate it, if you would read my posts more carefully.

Firstly I stated that voicing your opinion is not wrong, wither the actual content and context of the opinion remains up for debate. secondly I made the point about having influences on the decision process can lead someone to make the wrong decision.
im sorry that i may have mis-read your posts, but in any case

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

"I despise practically everything about human life, which does limit one's weekend activities."
(#26 (permalink))
Old
solemnclockwork (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-05-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyakushi View Post
I'm sorry but the only reason I don't want any religious support is because its mostly influence, not really what people feel or want to feel. It could go either way with religious beliefs. When people bring religion to a debate its asking the pros and cons to judge a whole group of people and challenge their beliefs, which is not fair and bias.

"When god says your ready to go then your ready to go".
With the advances in technology we are living beyond the expectations of when humans are suppose to die. With this law we are dying before we are suppose to go or maybe even a little later than usual. Thats why it is ruled out here.

solemnclockwork you seem like the only one not taking this seriously, we are not talking about old people but people in general. I only put no religious support because it causes people to spew from the mouth with rage with out thinking.
Firstly, why do you think someone who has an religious belief, and voices will spew "fire" (benefit of the doubt would work wonders here, this site does have an good measure to take care of the not-so-bright individuals)? How is it you think I'm not taking this seriously, I made the point that this CAN get out of control and invade other areas, like killing old people based on the money drain and health problems.

That's not true, we are starting to live out our lives to where we where meant to. In the past we couldn't because of disease, inability to acquire the right care, and vitamins. I will also talk from the Christian point of view (NOT to debate, but clarify) in the bible we where limited to 150 years, and also when you go, that's how long God decided you to live wither it be for whatever reason.(which means, you killed by someone, or die of old age that was God will, this is complicated, so just think of someone dies that was the extent of there life dictated by God).

I don't get it, why do you think that people don't think highly of there own religion? I wouldn't hold the views I have today if it wasn't for my religion. Yes, my views where influenced by religion, but the point is that's MY views, and WHAT I feel, I don't get how you can say that people don't think highly of there religion (you probably going to have to clarify that first statement).
ANY debate will challenge an established view held by both parties, if you get so offended because someone beliefs an certain way, you have an problem. Having an certain views is biased to the person who does not hold those views, thus why conflict exists in debates. You should seek to limit that conflict instead of denying ones right to voice there opinion on the subject. Like me who is mostly at odds with several forums members on views, I don't seek to deny those views, but to express why I don't see face to face on them.

This comes down to the basic concept of religion in ones debate, don't challenge the religion, but why that person has that view.

Ex.

A.I don't believe in assisted suicide, because I find it in conflict of God's will.

B. Ok, then why is it conflict with God's will, what about the persons will, do they have an choice when they might not believe the same way you do?

A. (insert religious text why it is against God's will), being ones will does not make it right, I could think that I have the right to your wallet, does that make it right for me? Even if they don't believe that way, I find it ethically immoral for one to opt out of life because they cannot handle suffering, what if a few days later an cure was found?

B. Response with an rebuttal....

See, most if not all debates will not revolve around religion, the only time it does is to establish why that person fells that way. At most the debate will extent form there. My point is, don't neglect an point of view in favor of being "politically correct", everyone can do with challenges against there views, it helps those developed thick skin.

1 Corinthians 10: 31-33
31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
FeyOberon (Offline)
JF Regular

05-05-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reavyn View Post
If I'm being kept alive in a hospital and am in a lot of pain. Not only does that suck for me, but it is putting a huge financial burden on my family.
In the U.S., even in states without "assisted suicide" laws, situations like this can be addressed, in part, by individuals by executing a Living Will or Health Care Directive. Any person with legal capacity can designate under what circumstance they would want life support to be withheld, what sort of life support may be administered (e.g., assistance with breathing, liquid nourishment, etc.), and any other instructions they wish, in the event the person is terminally ill and unable to communicate or unresponsive. However, these are used mostly in cases of brain damage, stroke, coma, or the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephirothVVC View Post
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-- I know it, but I can't put my finger on it. Is it Shakespeare, or am I way off?
(#28 (permalink))
Old
SephirothVVC (Offline)
Death Is The Cure

Send a message via MSN to SephirothVVC Send a message via Skype™ to SephirothVVC
05-05-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeyOberon View Post

-- I know it, but I can't put my finger on it. Is it Shakespeare, or am I way off?
it is ........

"I despise practically everything about human life, which does limit one's weekend activities."
(#29 (permalink))
Old
TenmaAi (Offline)
Demon_Love

Send a message via MSN to TenmaAi
05-05-2009, 06:37 PM

I say when one is in a healthy and clear state of mind and is not able to end they're own life they should be able to get the help or needs possible to do as they see fit.
When they are not I'm not sure.. How can one be sure when one is a clear state of mind.
The doctors surely can't in my opinion..

....[VampiSupporter]....
x3 The Belgium Trio x3
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-05-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I don't agree with it, mainly because it IS an religious thing. To also top that off, when you go into territory like this, when is it to say before you start to kill off old people because there found "not viable"?

I don't know who made that comment, but to discard an serious point about some decisions and beliefs some people hold on how they view and make decisions, is not an good debate. On many subjects it is religious beliefs that make an difference on views (like this one), without those who is to say they have an point of view? That is not to say to debate religious points here, that's not allowed on this forum. Just don't discard someones else point for political correctness, you may not like there views but as long as it is an opinion, how is it wrong?
I agree that it's a religious thing.

Therefore, hypothetically and generally speaking, I support your right to fight to the last breath despite the inevitability of your fate.

I would expect that you respect mine, or others right to end their life when they choose.