JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
knarF (Offline)
New to JF

01-05-2011, 11:50 AM

I have to admit, i barely ever watch tv and even more rarely American TV (most of the shows tbh are crap). I prefer to play on games or just do something else personally, i don't even really like many films, i guess i get bored easily.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

01-05-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knarF View Post
I have to admit, i barely ever watch tv and even more rarely American TV (most of the shows tbh are crap). I prefer to play on games or just do something else personally, i don't even really like many films, i guess i get bored easily.
As far as stories go, I honestly prefer the stories in games more than in most dramas.
And I prefer them in Japanese games to American games, but that's only because it's not what I'm used to, I'm sure I'd feel differently were I raised in Japan.

@MMM
I'm totally checking out True Blood
but the way you described it still makes it out to be a moral-based tv show ><

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-05-2011, 01:35 PM

My problem with American shows is their insistence on milking the cash out of them.

Often you'll get a good series which is great for the first few seasons... but then when the show starts making money the producers try to extend it's lifespan which usually results in the writers running out of ideas which of course results in the quality of the show going downhill.

A good example is Lost.

Shows are best when they are planned from beginning to end with the end being final. (My favourite TV series ever would have to be Babylon 5)

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 01-05-2011 at 01:37 PM.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

01-05-2011, 02:04 PM

The thing that gets up my nose more than anything esle about American television is that even in shows that are supposedly all about science, like the CSI's for instance, they just can't help but bring in at some stage some absolute crap to do with with the paranormal and they always leave it just a bit up in the air as though these things can even baffle the minds of these amazing science types. It's as though Americans just can't handle too much science without a bit of the ridiculous thrown in to keep them entertained.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
scarletmouse13 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to scarletmouse13
Exclamation hi - 01-05-2011, 02:25 PM

i live in america.......im allready board with most of the shows here!!!

love must die sometime.....now?
(#46 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
01-05-2011, 03:11 PM

Some shows are fine for the first season or max second, but after that, the lack of new, bright ideas shows up in every one I saw, except for Love and marriage .

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletmouse13 View Post
board

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?
(#47 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

01-05-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post

Shows are best when they are planned from beginning to end with the end being final. (My favourite TV series ever would have to be Babylon 5)
I loved that show! I would rate it as one of my all time favorites. But the 5th season was not as good. Perhaps all the problems with the companies involved, etc. had much to do with it, but to me it seemed a bit forced and wasn't at the level of the previous 4 seasons.

I did like DS9 second best to B5.
(#48 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-05-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
My problem with American shows is their insistence on milking the cash out of them.

Often you'll get a good series which is great for the first few seasons... but then when the show starts making money the producers try to extend it's lifespan which usually results in the writers running out of ideas which of course results in the quality of the show going downhill.

A good example is Lost.

Actually Lost is a terrible example of what you are talking about because at Season Three they said there would be an end at Season Six.

X-Files is a good example of what you are saying.
(#49 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

01-05-2011, 11:49 PM

Word JohnBraden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Actually Lost is a terrible example of what you are talking about because at Season Three they said there would be an end at Season Six.

X-Files is a good example of what you are saying.
Oh I didn't know that.

I still think they milked Lost for all it was worth though. It just went everywhere.
(#50 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
01-06-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
well I am proud of many of our BBC programmes. especially the drama and nature plus documentaries.
Having BBC as your national broadcaster is one thing to be proud of. It's definitely a worldwide role model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames
I'm totally checking out True Blood
but the way you described it still makes it out to be a moral-based tv show ><
You should do that. True Blood's definitely worth a watch. It's not all that good but it ain't too bad either. Plus, Eric Northman's the sex =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire

A good example is Lost.
Nah. What happened was that it was so good and promising up to season 3 everyone expected there to be a super unexpected end to the show. And it wasn't all that surprising. But still, I liked the way the plot develops. There's not a thing about it I would change. Also, I think they knew where the show was going since day one, they knew their way out of the messy plot.

everything is relative and contradictory ~