JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

02-22-2011, 01:11 PM

I've been out of this thread for a while now, just got caught up, it seems to have gotten pretty heated.

I'll throw in my experiences, without agreeing or disagreeing with anyone.

I grew up in the Caribbeans, an island called Guadeloupe, at the time the only white people on the island were tourists and maybe a handful of families, which I never once saw. The rest of the population was black. So that sets the scene, 1 white kid, an island of black people.

The discrimination I experienced there was unparalleled as it was socially acceptable and no police or institution would defend the rights of a white person. Even at 7 years old I was beaten and ostracized and, I can't even go into it. Obviously not everyone was like that, but it was socially accepted. I did have a lot of black friends, and still love those friends.

Then I lived in Canada, where multiculturalism is in full bloom, and in my opinion is very successful. So what if some of the immigrants don't speak English well or in some cases at all, they were all kind to me and discrimination in any direction was dealt with socially very strongly (not institutionally, your country is what it's people make of it, not it's leaders). I'll admit that white people in Canada tend to be a tad nationalistic, as in anti-america, which bonds them to their immigrant brothers in a unified front. Regardless though, the examples of racism I experienced in Canada were basically from fob people who had no idea how things worked in Canada and after a few days or weeks they got friendly with everyone.

Then I lived in Japan, back to square 1, being the extreme minority, the difference here being that if any actual outward acts of racism or discrimination occurred I'd be so thrown back by it. Discrimination is in fact prevalent in Japan, but it's well hidden from eyes and at times it's discrimination that ends up in my favor.

---

MissMisa, I'm sad to hear about what's happened to you, I think that up until I was 7 I either experienced the same thing or a much worse version of it, I can't imagine having stayed there any longer. Which brings me to my question, why do you stay there?

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#52 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
02-22-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
How come media never addresses racism done to white people by blacks, hispanics, asians and other ethnicites?
Depending on the media source in question, there are usually several reasons the sort of story you mentioned is not published in mainstream venues. The official explanation is that it is "not newsworthy". (crap, of course) The real reason is often that the editor, or whomever is making the decision on such a story, is not comfortable with interracial dating or marriage.

And any publication that would call attention to what has become referred to as reverse discrimination would be risking alienating all non-white readers, which they are not about to do.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#53 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-22-2011, 10:15 PM

Well RealJames that is a suprise. I did not know that could happen,or had happened.

It's a weird world.
(#54 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
02-22-2011, 10:32 PM

Yep, it's weird racism doesn't discriminate.

PS:Excuse the word play.

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?
(#55 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
02-22-2011, 10:35 PM

Whether you call it racism, prejudice, bigotry, classism, or discrimination its all essentially the same mechanism at work. It is isolating a trait that clearly differentiates one person from another and using it to subordinate them. Its done for various reasons, most based on an internal fear of change and/or potential to also be deprived. It is inherent in humans, but civilization is supposed to give us the skills to overcome it. Some people have used those skills; some have not. Those who haven't, to my way of thinking, do not deserve to be treated as civilized human beings. And I say this with family members who are clearly in that latter category.

I have been publicly shunned for supporting civil rights, both by strangers and family; and even by those who rights I was defending - because I was not one of them. Whites definitely do not have a lock on bigotry.

I do not know a person who has not experienced both sides of some form of discrimination, at least to some degree. Several times in my life I have been the only white, the only female, the only American, or some other distinction that was considered unacceptable to a larger group. But I learned to build bridges across our differences where far too many others only work to fuel their hatred.

You do not have to be part of public actions, but you do have to acknowledge what is right and what is wrong when you are involved. Silence doesn't protect anyone for very long.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#56 (permalink))
Old
TrainOfThought (Offline)
JF Regular

02-23-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
Like everyone who lives here - I can't afford to. I got into better Uni's than the one I'm at now, but I couldn't afford to move there to go. Sorry to hear it happened to you too.

Also, posted on my University's student paper website today:
Quote:
Northern Lights PR summer Internship

Northern lights is inviting graduate applications for a 3 week training programme, with training allowance, starting Monday 4th July.

The Internship Programme is open to black and minority ethnic graduates as this group is currently recognised as being under-represented in PR.

Really wanted to do this... but I'm white, so I can't.
Aaah, stuff like that really pisses me off. It's just so unfair.
I read in the newspaper that a lot of young immigrants (mostly from MENA, and most of them have lived here for 10 years+) in a place called Laholm will only have to pay about £400 for their driving licence (unless they need more than 40 driving lessons, which they get for free) to make it easier for them to get a job. The tax payers will have to pay the rest.
And what kind of help do young Swedes (the minority in that particular area) get? None at all. I think it's unfair, but I wouldn't want to say that out loud, 'cause then I'd be called a racist even though they all know my ex is 50/50 English/Jamaican and that most of my friends I grew up with weren't born in Sweden. The Swedish government are discriminating Swedes... It's just so messed up.

Anyways, anyone saying that discrimination or racism towards white people isn't "real" is either a bit slow or hasn't been out of his/her little bubble of yummy candyfloss, pink clouds with pwetty butterflies flying around in a looooong time.

"Where you invest your love, you invest your life."
Mumford and Sons - Awake My Soul

"We can hope for the future, but there may not be one."
Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons
(#57 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Angry afordability - 02-23-2011, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
Really wanted to do this... but I'm white, so I can't.
Unbelievable. So, many whites feel themselves unpleasant guests on their own land....
(#58 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

02-23-2011, 04:24 AM

I'm going to tell a stroy I heard from the creator of the TV show Babylon 5. It was added as an "extra on the DVD series when it came out".

That show had a large cast of extras who all wore heavy makeup to portray various aliens. "Narn", "Membari", "Drassi," "Centuari". The Director noticed something interesting dureing down time, since he spent alot of time on the set he could watch this progress. The extras who were made up as Narns, sat together as Narns, would eat at the same table as other Narns..the Membari were the same as were all the other "aliens".

After witnessing this for several weeks the Director decided to try something, he had some of the extras who had been playing one group since the start of production suddenly be told to play another group. Guess what happened? Dureing down time and meals the same thing Happened, Narn's with Narns, Membari with Membari, Drassi with Drassi and Centuari with Centauri.

This despite the fact that one of the "Membari" had been "Narn" for 6 months, didn't know any of the extra's from the Membari section and had many friends in the "Narn" section. Didn't matter, what everyone looked like dictated where they sat, who they ate with and who they associated with.

It's basically human nature to congregate with people who are the same..look the same...act the same..have the same values. It's why assimulation is so important. Because if folks allready don't look the same, not haveing similer beliefs or cultural values will only Intensify this difference. Haveing idiot Multuculturalist's blare out how cool all this "diversity" is, only magnifies the "differences" between everyone and makes the problem worse.
(#59 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post Babylon 5 - 02-23-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
I'm going to tell a stroy I heard from the creator of the TV show Babylon 5. It was added as an "extra on the DVD series when it came out".

That show had a large cast of extras who all wore heavy makeup to portray various aliens. "Narn", "Membari", "Drassi," "Centuari". The Director noticed something interesting dureing down time, since he spent alot of time on the set he could watch this progress. The extras who were made up as Narns, sat together as Narns, would eat at the same table as other Narns..the Membari were the same as were all the other "aliens".

After witnessing this for several weeks the Director decided to try something, he had some of the extras who had been playing one group since the start of production suddenly be told to play another group. Guess what happened? Dureing down time and meals the same thing Happened, Narn's with Narns, Membari with Membari, Drassi with Drassi and Centuari with Centauri.

This despite the fact that one of the "Membari" had been "Narn" for 6 months, didn't know any of the extra's from the Membari section and had many friends in the "Narn" section. Didn't matter, what everyone looked like dictated where they sat, who they ate with and who they associated with.
Good story :thumbs up:

I have found that one of my favorite writers since childhood, Jack London, was a pure racist from a modern point of view. He tried to find "a Great White Hope", any white boxer who could beat Jack Johnson, a black champion of 1910
Sadly, he would wait around 100 years to watch it.......
(#60 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

02-23-2011, 06:18 AM

Heh, I have learned recently that Muhamed Ali went to Ireland not too long ago. He wanted to vist his newly discovered grandfather or great grandfather ( not sure wich)...who was Irish.

Oh the irony.