LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-21-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavira View Post
Economic privilege is not the same as white privilege.

I agree. But you suggested race/gender should be irrelevant. I said that we should not ignore race and gender, as ignoring this means we also ignore the problems that come with race and gender.

If it was a policy, I can see why it would be problematic. But you gave no evidence, so I was inclined to believe you assumed it.

You don't think racism is about power and oppression?
I did not deny that you had experienced discrimination,as I do not know you, but rather that discrimination and racism are not the same thing.

You benefit from being white regardless of where you are in the country.

Did you read my argument? That's not what I was saying at all.

I didn't say it excused it. I implied that you don't seem to understand what racism is, other than at surface value.

The way you stated it seemed to be implying that the minorities were purposefully segregating themselves. I apologise if I misinterperted you.

You said that immigrants were causing the decline of British culture, which is exactly what those two parties state.

White privilege is not the same as economic or class privilege. Do you know what white privilege is, or are you making assumptions?
If a black man were rich, then he would have economic privilege over you. But you would still have white privilege over him.
White privilege does not mean that you are racist, or a bad person, or that you should feel guilt, or even that you are well-off in any way. It is understanding that you are in a position where you cannot understand the plight of another, because you can never be in their position.

Fair enough. I can understand why you say that now.
I've just known a lot of people who think anything less that perfectly fluent isn't 'good enough'. I didn't mean to insinuate anything.

I would like to state that I am not denying you have struggles, MissMisa.
Simply that discrimination and racism are different, and I do not believe that in a society where 'whiteness' is valued above other ethnicities, you can be racist towards white people.

what planet are you from
(#42 (permalink))
Old
TrainOfThought (Offline)
JF Regular

02-21-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
This is where you everything you said has become pretty much irrevelent. Most people who live here would laugh at this. Being white is a disadvantage here. You can think what you like, I doubt you've ever been here or will ever come here.
It's like that where I live as well. ~15% around here are white, and ~8% are Swedish, and racism towards white people has become a problem here as well. It's a lot easier to get a job if you're not white, you see stuff like "white people suck! Leave OUR country you stupid Swedes!" (but with words I don't want to use on here) written on the bus seats, white kids don't get the same kind of help in school (even thought they might need it just as much as the others) etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
You are the reason why white discrimination/racism/whatever other tag you want to give it is such a huge problem.

+9001

"Where you invest your love, you invest your life."
Mumford and Sons - Awake My Soul

"We can hope for the future, but there may not be one."
Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons
(#43 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-21-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Economic privilege is not the same as white privilege.

I agree. But you suggested race/gender should be irrelevant. I said that we should not ignore race and gender, as ignoring this means we also ignore the problems that come with race and gender.

If it was a policy, I can see why it would be problematic. But you gave no evidence, so I was inclined to believe you assumed it.

You don't think racism is about power and oppression?
I did not deny that you had experienced discrimination,as I do not know you, but rather that discrimination and racism are not the same thing.

You benefit from being white regardless of where you are in the country.

Did you read my argument? That's not what I was saying at all.

I didn't say it excused it. I implied that you don't seem to understand what racism is, other than at surface value.

The way you stated it seemed to be implying that the minorities were purposefully segregating themselves. I apologise if I misinterperted you.

You said that immigrants were causing the decline of British culture, which is exactly what those two parties state.

White privilege is not the same as economic or class privilege. Do you know what white privilege is, or are you making assumptions?
If a black man were rich, then he would have economic privilege over you. But you would still have white privilege over him.
White privilege does not mean that you are racist, or a bad person, or that you should feel guilt, or even that you are well-off in any way. It is understanding that you are in a position where you cannot understand the plight of another, because you can never be in their position.

Fair enough. I can understand why you say that now.
I've just known a lot of people who think anything less that perfectly fluent isn't 'good enough'. I didn't mean to insinuate anything.

I would like to state that I am not denying you have struggles, MissMisa.
Simply that discrimination and racism are different, and I do not believe that in a society where 'whiteness' is valued above other ethnicities, you can be racist towards white people.
I do not have time to add my two cents, but I think your argument makes much more sense in the US. This is exactly the kind of perspective on racism etc. that I learned in one of my black studies classes in the US.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
02-21-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
But you suggested race/gender should be irrelevant. I said that we should not ignore race and gender, as ignoring this means we also ignore the problems that come with race and gender.
You can't see the cause because you're too "blinded" by the effect. Exactly that is the problem from where racism, discrimination (and other forms of "splitting" the human race in groups) arrives, the lack of irrelevance regarding race and/or gender. Just that fact (which is the cause) creates the problems that appear. Without the cause, the effect will not happen.

Quote:
White privilege no longer exists, or at most it's just in the eyes of the extremist movements which are decaying and loosing numbers as time passes.
By the way, I'm just curios, what is, in your opinion, that white privilege you're talking about?

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?

Last edited by protheus : 02-21-2011 at 10:49 PM.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

02-22-2011, 04:17 AM

Mavira is trying to imply that whites..comeing from Europe and "never" haveing been enslaved or thier resources plundered and the like..wich happened to many African nations and nations in the Middle east and even the far east. Since whites grew up in a position of power "IE" they run government and the like...they have "priveledge."

Mavira..I'm a white mutt ..I am part German, part Austrian, part English, part Scottish, part Swiss and part Irish. Historically, several of those groups enslaved and subjugated the others. The British lorded over the Scotts and Irish...Told them what they could and could not wear, how they could dance..even had English nobles spend the "first night" of a bride because he was a English noble and that was his "right". My swiss ancestors were enslaved by the Austrians for years...It's where the William Tell legend orginated.

The term slave orginates from the Slavic people...who were white...

The very idea that whites are "born" priviledged is racist. They aren't any more priviledged than anyone else is. White's butchered and enslaved each other for centuries..well before they knew many of those other nations even existed.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

02-22-2011, 06:40 AM

Ryozir.
he hei! so were my forefathers. 700 years as slaves under German rule. maybe we should go and try to get our money's back? in usa there is movement for blacks to get compensated for slavery....shit - seeing as they are green tomatoes compared to some white cultures when it comes to slavery, we could be swimming in money.
so...sorry, but if you are black then maybe you can bitch about slavery to some americans, not europeans.
(#47 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

02-22-2011, 10:38 AM

White Slavery, what the Scots already know

BBC - History - British History in depth: British Slaves on the Barbary Coast

many of our young children were migrated to commonwealth countries such as Canada, australia---rhodesia etc. many who were as young as 3 years of age were sent by the british govenment-- and sent to work on isolated farms with no supervision or concern for what happened to them.

we have provided plenty of free labour to these colonial countries-- the british govt. did not want to care for these homeless children themselves.

they abused the children for their own purposes of sending white british stock especially to australia where the british government stole aboriginal girls to later marry some of these british white immigrants. that was the way the top knobs in govenments wished to spread their influence in this situation.

govts use and abuse all the time to suit their own purposes.

the destitute poor-- often ended up in workhouses. i don't consider that they were privileged at all often losing their own children to foreign lands.

not all white people were or are privileged at all.

there are always the haves and the have nots
(#48 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Smile blacks - 02-22-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
in usa there is movement for blacks to get compensated for slavery....shit - seeing as they are green tomatoes compared to some white cultures when it comes to slavery
And white people have been giving money to them. Amazing!
(#49 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-22-2011, 11:52 AM

Oh I know it's bad and everything but if a black person called me crackerboy I honestly wouldn't care! I'd just laugh!

On the other hand,when it turns into knife crime,especially in countries where Caucasian is in the minority,then I'd be worried. I don't know about Japan. They seem better than China and Korea,definitely,but there can be a certain mean streak that I'm not quite sure about.

And of course I am half-Welsh so half of me is an Acceptable Target. I was actually watching Justin Lee Collins and he was in Osaka doing a comedy thing,and they were doing shooting people as they were walking. The Japanese guy did it to someone,haha,that's hilarious. But Justin Lee Collins did it to some old guy and,predictably,nothing. Now the Japanese guy said "He thinks you're American" but I don't believe that for a minute! I was at like a dance/play type thing when I was there and I had this guy turn round and stare at me,and he was really angry for some reason! It does seem to be the older people. I'm just not gonna fit into their little box they want me to be in.

Last edited by tokusatsufan : 02-22-2011 at 12:02 PM.
(#50 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Smile the conditions - 02-22-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
Oh I know it's bad and everything but if a black person called me crackerboy I honestly wouldn't care! I'd just laugh!
Standing alone in front of a bunch of aggressive blacks, you wouldn't laugh at all.

As for "cracker"...what a silly insult they use !