JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Do nonsense Kanji tattoos bother you?
Yes, I find it irritating 37 47.44%
No, I don't mind them. 41 52.56%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#61 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-22-2009, 03:56 PM

If that's what he wants to do, that's what he wants to do. Let's keep the judgmental comments to a minimum, please.
(#62 (permalink))
Old
Ningyou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Ningyou
03-22-2009, 06:09 PM

I agree with MMM. This is a bit ridiculous.
(#63 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
03-22-2009, 08:43 PM

I'd say let the guy do as he pleases. If he feels for the tattoo of shi, then let him do it? Being judgmental won't get anyone anywhere.

I wanted that sign in particular tattooed, but I had second thoughts. I'm a pretty rebelious person and really don't give a monkey's behind for what other people think about my potential tattoos. I just didn't want to look back and see that I have the sign of death on my body - just because I had a rough period.

I don't think he should let the 'Japanese' decide by tradition whether he should get the tattoo either. It wouldn't symbolize 'death' as something unclean and evil. It would symbolize the death of a person dear to him. Besides, I doubt that an entire population would hate on HIM exactly for doing that. I have a feeling that not ALL Japanese people would get offended. One's body is one's own matter. It's not up to anyone else what you want to do with/to it.

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast
(#64 (permalink))
Old
tylersangle88 (Offline)
女, im a girl!

Send a message via AIM to tylersangle88 Send a message via MSN to tylersangle88 Send a message via Yahoo to tylersangle88 Send a message via Skype™ to tylersangle88
03-23-2009, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
You're tough stuff.

Lol,

If you think you're a cool guy, need a tattoo in order to remember your friend, want to disgrace yourself, your body, and probably what your friend would want, then go for it!!
im not a guy. im an 18 yr old girl!

[color="Magenta"]There is no better way to die than in ur lovers arms. [/COLOR]
IM THE QUEEN OF CYBER WHORES!!!! ^^ HEHE LOL

Anata Ga Suki!!!
[/size]
(#65 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-23-2009, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanteNa View Post
I don't think he should let the 'Japanese' decide by tradition whether he should get the tattoo either. It wouldn't symbolize 'death' as something unclean and evil. It would symbolize the death of a person dear to him. Besides, I doubt that an entire population would hate on HIM exactly for doing that. I have a feeling that not ALL Japanese people would get offended. One's body is one's own matter. It's not up to anyone else what you want to do with/to it.
My only response would be is that she is choosing to mark her body with Japanese characters, so she has to accept the stigma that come with it. I couldn't not expect to put a Star of David or a Buddhist symbol and be upset if people react according to THEIR beliefs.

has had religious meanings for thousands of years, but now it is seen as the Nazi swastika exclusively in the West. If you got a manji, or swastika tattooed on your body you couldn't not expect people to react negatively.

Death doesn't carry the same impact as the Nazi swastika, but like I said before, it will turn off a lot of Japanese people. No one said the entire country will hate her. It would send a message of "I don't care about my life or my body". Whether or not it means something different to her doesn't matter.
(#66 (permalink))
Old
kurezi (Offline)
I like cookies.

03-23-2009, 05:45 AM

It makes me think of things like sex pot revenge, a Japanese fashion label that puts Engrish phrases all over their clothing because it's "cool". The spelling is often wrong and the grammar is nonsensical...but in a strange way it's cute to me. I think it's a double standard to say that it's lame for non-Japanese speakers to have nonsensical kanji tattoos when I look at Engrish fondly...but it still irritates me for some reason. =[
(#67 (permalink))
Old
Pexster (Offline)
j'adore le baise tu

03-23-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersangle88 View Post
hehe np np. ^^ i could never get mad at u
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersangle88 View Post
im not a guy. im an 18 yr old girl!
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha

I think it's your username. LOL

A Dream Of Form In Days Of Thought

www.mydramalist.com

Eiri is my Property, Bitches.
(#68 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-23-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurezi View Post
It makes me think of things like sex pot revenge, a Japanese fashion label that puts Engrish phrases all over their clothing because it's "cool". The spelling is often wrong and the grammar is nonsensical...but in a strange way it's cute to me. I think it's a double standard to say that it's lame for non-Japanese speakers to have nonsensical kanji tattoos when I look at Engrish fondly...but it still irritates me for some reason. =[
 is not a nonsensical kanji tattoo. It has a very strong and clear meaning, and it isn't something even Japanese people who are into tattoos would likely mark their body with.
(#69 (permalink))
Old
ushkana (Offline)
New to JF

Smile 03-23-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyavifan View Post
I agree with the part of getting one just cause of thinking it looks cool.

I don't actually speak Japanese, but I think it's ok to get a Kanji tattoo, so long as I know what it means, and has personal meaning.
so, I apply that to others as well.
i totoally agree.i think the same should go to any tatoo a person should get. i think if u are to get one it should have meaning to U . when u get a tatoo you should not get one because all your friends have one or you think it looks cool. when u get one make sure you like it now and that u think ull like it for the rest of your life because it will always be there. well of course there is always the option of lazering it off but i dont really think u want to go through that pain. but its your choice this is only one person's opinion
(#70 (permalink))
Old
tylersangle88 (Offline)
女, im a girl!

Send a message via AIM to tylersangle88 Send a message via MSN to tylersangle88 Send a message via Yahoo to tylersangle88 Send a message via Skype™ to tylersangle88
03-23-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexster View Post
Thanks.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha

I think it's your username. LOL

probly, its supposed to say tylers angel but i spelled angel wrong, still they shouldnt make assumptions as to the sex of the person talking unless they actually know wat they are talking about because that was majorly insulting for them to call me a he!

[color="Magenta"]There is no better way to die than in ur lovers arms. [/COLOR]
IM THE QUEEN OF CYBER WHORES!!!! ^^ HEHE LOL

Anata Ga Suki!!!
[/size]