JapanForum.com  


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
WhiteDay's Avatar
WhiteDay (Offline)
New to JF
 
Posts: 22
Join Date: Sep 2010
やすみです / やすみます - 01-07-2017, 12:42 PM

Hello there!

I was wondering about the difference between やすみです and やすみます.

The following sentence is from the book みんなの日本語:

"しゅうまつは テレサちゃんの 学校と サントスさんの かいしゃは やすみです."

^why is it not .....やすみます?

I understand that やすみ can be either a noun or a verb, but I'm not sure about the difference of their use. Here are my attempts (Can you please tell me if they're correct or not?)

- ちちは にちようび やすみます.
- きょう だいがっくは やすみます. (this one should be やすみです maybe?)

I had left Japanese for too long and I'm sooo sorry for myself. So I'm still a beginner and, よろしく おにがいします again!

てつだってください!


The blood in my veins is made up of mistakes.

Last edited by WhiteDay : 01-07-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid's Avatar
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese
 
Posts: 950
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
01-08-2017, 01:32 AM

"やすみです:YASUMI-DESU" indicates the status of the subject.
"会社はやすみです:KAISYA WA YASUMI-DESU"; The company is "OFF".

"やすみます:YASUMI-MASU" indicates the action of the subject.
"(私は)明日やすみます:(WATASHI WA)ASHITA YASUMI-MASU"; I will be absent from work tomorrow.

When you say "KAISYA WA YASUMI-MASU", it sounds strange like "the company will be absent from work".

>ちちは にちようび やすみます.

Good, meaning "My father takes off-day on Sunday".

>きょう だいがっくは やすみます.

きょう、だいがく は やすみます。

Strange. it should be "KYOU, DAIGAKU WA YASUMI-DESU.;The Univ. has no class today."

Do these help?


Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
Reply With Quote
(#3 (permalink))
Old
NiaSama's Avatar
NiaSama (Offline)
JF Old Timer
 
Posts: 132
Join Date: Nov 2016
01-08-2017, 08:10 AM

Thanks for putting also the romanji so I can learn too


http://www.japanforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=99577&dateline=1481039942
Reply With Quote
(#4 (permalink))
Old
WhiteDay's Avatar
WhiteDay (Offline)
New to JF
 
Posts: 22
Join Date: Sep 2010
01-08-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioKid View Post
"やすみです:YASUMI-DESU" indicates the status of the subject.
"会社はやすみです:KAISYA WA YASUMI-DESU"; The company is "OFF".

"やすみます:YASUMI-MASU" indicates the action of the subject.
"(私は)明日やすみます:(WATASHI WA)ASHITA YASUMI-MASU"; I will be absent from work tomorrow.

When you say "KAISYA WA YASUMI-MASU", it sounds strange like "the company will be absent from work".

>ちちは にちようび やすみます.

Good, meaning "My father takes off-day on Sunday".

>きょう だいがっくは やすみます.

きょう、だいがく は やすみます。

Strange. it should be "KYOU, DAIGAKU WA YASUMI-DESU.;The Univ. has no class today."

Do these help?
This really helped! Thank you so much RadioKid.
I think I understand it now. So, the two やすみ are different parts of speech right? One is a verb, and the other is an adjective, something like that.


The blood in my veins is made up of mistakes.
Reply With Quote
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid's Avatar
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese
 
Posts: 950
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
01-09-2017, 01:38 AM

Yes, your understanding is correct.

In "やすみです:YASUMI-DESU", YASUMI is noun because "-DESU" is like "verve:be".

In "やすみます:YASUMI-MASU", YASUMI is (a part of) verve because "-(SHI)MASU" is like "verve:do".


Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
Reply With Quote
(#6 (permalink))
Old
WhiteDay's Avatar
WhiteDay (Offline)
New to JF
 
Posts: 22
Join Date: Sep 2010
01-09-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioKid View Post
Yes, your understanding is correct.

In "やすみです:YASUMI-DESU", YASUMI is noun because "-DESU" is like "verve:be".

In "やすみます:YASUMI-MASU", YASUMI is (a part of) verve because "-(SHI)MASU" is like "verve:do".
This really helps. Thanks again!


The blood in my veins is made up of mistakes.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Copyright 2003-2006 Virtual Japan.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC6