LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-27-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachava View Post
So Japanese people judging me to be evil and someone who must be avoided at all costs because I am white is not racist?!?
Judging a person based on their skin-color is racist.

Saying "A lot of times white guys come here to F Japanese women" isn't racist. But it does promote an unfortunate stereotype about white guys.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Illusional (Offline)
JF Regular

10-27-2007, 07:19 AM

without reading all the prior pages, shit happens everywhere you go. whether you live in tokyo or new york city, they both are like capitols of the country, yet they also have their dark secrets which makes people hate and want to leave their countries.

now correct me if i'm wrong ferrari, if that is you in your avatar, then you surely are not japanese. so why would you hate on everyone else that wants to live in japan??

raverboy

...this is just my perspective on the situation...
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Acidreptile (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-27-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
So Japanese people judging me to be evil and someone who must be avoided at all costs because I am white is not racist?!?
Yup it DEFINITELY IS racist.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
Acidreptile (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-27-2007, 08:35 AM

I really did not knew that there was such discrimination at Japan.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-27-2007, 08:52 AM

Let's slow down just a minute.

I think Chachava is being a little dramatic in saying Japanese "judge him to be evil" and as "someone who should be avoided at all costs". Considering that he is dating his interpretor, this is far from a universal opinion.

99.9% of Japanese do not think people like Chachava is "evil" and nor do they think he should be "avoided at all costs".

I have spent years in Japan, and, collectively, several months in Tokyo. Tokyoites are like people in any gigantic city. They avoid confrontation because it is thrown at them constantly. This is not true for all of Japan, but the giant metropolis of Tokyo (like London or New York) has it's own culture.

This culture also has tens of thousands of foreigners that are a part of it, that have been a part of it for decades, and aren't going anywhere. Maybe hundreds of thousands. In 2007 being a foreigner in Tokyo is no big deal, and that's what actually frustrates some people now. They AREN'T being treated like a movie star like it's 1987. It's 2007, and they are used to you now.

I am not saying Chachava is wanting movie-star status, I am saying I think the words he chose shouldn't be taken literally.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

10-27-2007, 09:01 AM

Hmmm, people seem to be a little annoyed with things like "someone doesn't sit next to me in a busy train cos i'm a gaijin" why are you complaining???? If trains are anywhere near as busy as london trains, then i'd be over the moon if people didn't sit next to me! finally get some space and air to myself in public transport.

As for your complains about ferrari, why are you complaining? he's just trying to give facts to people that think "japan is perfect". All people need to realise is that wherever you go, there are problems (even racism). No country in the world has no racism, but live with it. why do you care what people think.
Me i'm going to tokyo next year, if people treat me badly cos i'm foreigner, i'll treat them badly too, if they treat me nicely, hey, i love to make new friends... end of story.
(#47 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
10-27-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I think Chachava is being a little dramatic in saying Japanese "judge him to be evil" and as "someone who should be avoided at all costs". Considering that he is dating his interpretor, this is far from a universal opinion.

99.9% of Japanese do not think people like Chachava is "evil" and nor do they think he should be "avoided at all costs".

I guess so, but I just wonder if, with the way people act, maybe there is some deeper-seeded feelings towards gaijin. As I said before, a lot of Japanese are fine (I have some amazing friends out here!) but the fact people act differently towards a Japanese person because she is dating me makes me think it is a bigger problem then most realise
(#48 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
10-27-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Hmmm, people seem to be a little annoyed with things like "someone doesn't sit next to me in a busy train cos i'm a gaijin" why are you complaining???? If trains are anywhere near as busy as london trains, then i'd be over the moon if people didn't sit next to me! finally get some space and air to myself in public transport.
It doesn't work that way - yeah, you get some more space but when you realise that is because you are different and NOT because you are lucky, then it ends up making you feel like shit a lot of the time and I genuinely get quite angry about it
(#49 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

10-27-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
It doesn't work that way - yeah, you get some more space but when you realise that is because you are different and NOT because you are lucky, then it ends up making you feel like shit a lot of the time and I genuinely get quite angry about it
not me... i was treated like a "gaijin" when i first came to england. i'm used to it and i look on the brighter side of things. i don't care wot people think when its "negative towards me". otherwise i'd be like u just described, feeling shit cos of some ignorant twat.

This is the world we live in, if you take everything personally, you might as well go commit suicide, cos you'll just be more depresed everyday,
(#50 (permalink))
Old
TheUnknown (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-27-2007, 11:14 AM

c'mon.. let's be honest.. this is just want happens when you migrate to another country.. living there and working there. althought i have to say, not everyone is racist but there is one thing for certain- racism does exist in every country.. <_< especially if you got different skin colour.. hair colour.. but the thing is those who are educated will put this in their mind and not act on it while those without being educated will act on what he believes is right. like TokyoFerrari said "Money is king in this country. Sad but true." so true.. this applies to every country.. it's just that with the money.. flash cars and etc.. it means that you have power.. perhaps highly income.. then people will think twice before giving you one of those racist stares.. or one of those contemptuous looks.. i know.. it's sad

人生自古誰無死,留取丹心照汗青。-- None since the advent of time have escaped death, may my loyalty forever illuminate the annals of history.